NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-27-2016, 09:20 PM
David Kathman

Default Lionel Carter on T205s, 1956

One thing you notice in reading through old hobby publications from the 1950s, 60s, and 70s is how much Lionel Carter wrote about baseball cards back then. It seems like he wrote for just about every publication out there, on a wide variety of sets.

Here is an article about T205s that Carter wrote for the June 1956 Sport Card Journal. This was a monthly publication that Charles Brooks launched in May 1956, at the same time that he also launched The Sport Hobbyist. I'm not sure what the difference was supposed to be, other than The Sport Hobbyist having 16 pages and The Sport Card Journal having 20. I suspect that Brooks merged the two soon after this, because The Sport Hobbyist had a long life, lasting more than 20 years with several interruptions, but I have no idea what happened to The Sport Card Journal after the first two issues, which I have.

The second of these issues has Carter's article on T205s, which I've posted below. It's the earliest article I'm aware of that's specifically about T205s, unless there was something in Card Collectors Bulletin. The first page is mostly descriptive, but the second page gets into the variations and rarities, as Carter was aware of them in 1956. The only printing variation he knew about was the Dougherty red/white sock one, but of course there are several others, involving both the fronts and the backs of cards. He seems to have known about some, but not all, of the short prints.

Last edited by trdcrdkid; 01-28-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:02 AM
Derek G.

Thank you! I enjoy reading these old articles...I was born in the wrong era.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:03 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Lionel Carter on T205s, 1956

Interesting that he doesn't list Hindu as a brand.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:10 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhans View Post
Interesting that he doesn't list Hindu as a brand.
He doesn't mention Broadleaf either. Those two brands are so rare in T205 that I don't think they were really recognized in the hobby for a long time. I'll have to check when I get home, but I don't think they were mentioned as T205 brands in most of the reference books from the mid-to-late 70s and early 80s.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:58 AM
David M.

Well since they're only around 5 cents each, maybe I'll pick some up.