NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Default Nationals question...

Posted By: pete

I know its kinda early but I have to ask so I can be prepared. I dont want to sell a bunch of cards if Im not even going to see any of these.

What are my chances of finding any of the following cards in decent condition:

1. 1911 Zeenut Buck Weaver
2. 1914 or 1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson or Ty Cobb
3. T3 Turkey Red Christy Mathewson or Ty Cobb

I've seen a couple of the Jackson, Cobb CJs but in very low grade but never
seen a Weaver or Mathewson. The last time I hit a big convention I had a budget of maybe $500 for the whole show and I wasnt collecting vintage, but it was in Anaheim
pete-

my best pitch was the one that made it to the plate!

Old 10-11-2005, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie Barokas

I don't think $500 will get you one corner of any one those cards? Might want to consider knocking over a bank between now and Anahiem?

LOL

Charlie

Old 10-11-2005, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: zach

Ya I would have to agree, 500 dollars won't get you any of those cards. The Weaver is a 3k or more card, a t3 Cobb can be done for a little over or under 1k,and be prepared to pay big for cracker jacks of either jackson or cobb.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

I think his question is whether the cards will be there at all . I have the same question about the T210 series -if I am going to invest all that money to get to the National I would like to be reasonably certain there will be a supply of these cards--I don't expect them to be cheap or even reasonable but would like to know if they will be available at all.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I would go regardless. What you get from meeting everyone, the comaraderie, amd the networking (not pc type) is invaluable. As for those exact cards it's hard to say but if I had to guess my answer would be a conservative "no" they won't be there. At least I wouldn't count on it. As for the dollar figures on these I would also believe they will be a little more costly. I sold a 1911 Weaver in a 30 or 40 holder, about a year or two ago, on ebay...and it only brought around $800.00. It didn't even have a bid until the last day. For some reason that particular card isn't too expensive relative to other cards I see of big stars......regards

Old 10-11-2005, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

Point well taken Leon !

Old 10-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Administrator

And I just remembered I picked up a very nice small group (maybe about 8) of T210's at the last National. They were from a walk in person coming by our table (Scott was away or he would have no doubt beat me to them). It pays to have a table.......

Old 10-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Even if the cards are there, they might not be for sale, just future lots from an auction house. But like Leon mentioned, its great to meet everyone. Plus you could catch an Angels (possible '05 WS champs?) game.

Money doesn't go as far as it used to. This year 330 million only bought the Yanks & Sox 2 playoff wins...

Old 10-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Stratton

Speaking of having a table...Is it still possible to get a dealer table for next year in Anaheim? How much are they? Is it worth it?

If it is...anyone want to split one?

Paul

Old 10-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Leon, it's nice to have a table at the National so that when a small group of T210's walk in you can buy them, but what it cost for airfare, dinner, hotel rooms, and the table itself it would be cheaper to buy them gold-plated off of ebay. But the interacting with other collectors is what is invaluable.

Old 10-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Administrator

You are absolutely correct. It's nice to find stuff to buy but I go there for what I mentioned previously. If I had to do a percentage it would be 20% to try to buy/sell/trade and 80% for the networking/comaraderie. As for the tables they are generally in the $800-$1200 range.....the one I split with Scott B. is usually in between there. This is for a single space and the bigger real estate (multiple space, bigger tables) obviously would cost a lot more. Also, if you are brand new you will get a location that is less desirable than a lot of others. Each consecutive year (though you can miss one and still retain your number/place) you get a table you get a "priority number" and it goes up, by one, each year you do it. So the first year you get a table you are a priority level 1. The higher the number the sooner you get to pick your table location. They are picked the year before at the National, for the next year. Hope this helps. regards

Old 10-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Leon is exactly right. The internet, ebay, auction houses, catalogs, etc,... all seem to come up with these rare cards at some point. Go to the National regardless, if nothing more than meeting other collectors & having a few cold ones !!!

Old 10-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Administrator

its not $500, that was back in '91 or '92 and when i was married...i plan on spending around $10k on (hopefully) more than 1 of my cards on that list...i plan on attending to meet everyone since im so close, and from the sounds of you guys talking about past years, you guys have a great time....but card wise i am only interested in the harder ones that i want, they dont seem to pop up as often on ebay or other auctions...

thanks for input

pete-

Old 10-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

The zeenut weaver is a great looking piece, it's gonna run you a great deal of cash.

( especially if i know about it )

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

email me

Old 10-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

$10,000 on one card? Ouch. No I would say your budget would exceed 95% of the collectors at the National. I generally try to take about 5k to the National to buy cards but end up with several cards to bring home plus cash to put in to the old ebay war chest.

Old 10-11-2005, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie Barokas

I will have many Cracker Jacks. I will email you my table info as we get closer.

Charlie

Old 10-11-2005, 05:34 PM
Administrator

i dont want to find the cards i want then not have enough...i'd like to get all of them for 10k but i dont think i will...like i stated at the beginning, i dont want to sell a bunch of good high end cards, then find "none" of the ones i want...not only would i come away empty handed from the nationals but i would be down a bunch of good cards.

Old 10-11-2005, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

Seems to me that a T3 Matty just went on Ebay, albeit low grade.