NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-05-2014, 04:12 PM
Dan Marke1

Default This is priceless.

Doug Allen's admission that he runs a "full gouging retail [auction]" where bidders "are pushed to the next level" with a "safe environment to buy" (See excerpt 3:58 through 5:15).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkOLo758vTE

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 08-05-2014, 06:56 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Good video Dan, ahh how to build a world class...

Dan read my post I say no shot at the OP, wasn't aimed at you. Just have heard that a bunch "what will happen to Legendary" from lots of folks that's all my post was about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby View Post
a "full gouging retail [auction]" where bidders "are pushed to the next level" with a "safe environment to buy"

Here is some of the game used equipment where folks were...ummm how did Doug phrase that....oh that's right "pushed to the next level" if you will.

Last edited by wonkaticket; 08-05-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:33 PM
keith janosky

Those guys that consigned there high end stuff in Legendarys live auction that was run during the national are you nuts? Why would you take a chance on not getting your money knowing these guys possibly could go to jail or the government cease all there stuff if that would happen. I'm not a lawyer so not sure how all that works but just seems risky even if you were a buyer in that auction
Old 08-05-2014, 09:04 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Keith--the government doesn't "cease", they "seize". Are you sure you're not a lawyer?
Old 08-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Keith--the government doesn't "cease", they "seize". Are you sure you're not a lawyer?
Ouch.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Jay -- "the government" is an it, not a they.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:47 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

With what we have in Washington now i think "they" is appropriate, although if you will spot me an "sh" I will go along with you.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:27 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...811-story.html

Why not have two threads up at the top, hopefully Jeff wont mind if so we can discuss over dinner...just talk into my tie Jeff very clearly.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post

Why not have two threads up at the top, hopefully Jeff wont mind if so we can discuss over dinner...just talk into my tie Jeff very clearly.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:

What's better than stealing from all your hobby friends and then ratting out all your hobby friends -- obstructing justice too!
Old 08-11-2014, 06:34 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
What's better than stealing from all your hobby friends and then ratting out all your hobby friends -- obstructing justice too!
So funny. Sad but funny.

Guess I know a Plank that will need reviewed again soon. Just remember.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...entoryid=35826

The more I read the more I miss these guys.

Last edited by wonkaticket; 08-11-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:05 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

More Mastro hits...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=89841
Old 08-12-2014, 05:03 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Here's a good one. Lots of smart people chiming in here:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...light=plancich
Old 08-12-2014, 05:33 AM

Can't believe that was 8 years ago! Time certainly does fly.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:52 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Here's a good one. Lots of smart people chiming in here:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...light=plancich
Wow. That thread is a veritable jukebox of ignorance and stupidity.

Tom C
Old 08-12-2014, 06:06 AM
Dan Bretta

nevermind....too busy for a pissing contest today.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 08-12-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:59 AM
keith janosky

To all the consignors and winning bidders in Legendarys live auction this past National, To quote Jay Leno to Hugh Grant " What were you thinking" Sure hope you guys get your money and bidders get your winnngs
Old 08-12-2014, 07:20 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Sad things in the hobby. Those culprits will pay a heavy price. I have sympathy for their families..

Accolades to the FBI and other law enforcement. They have helped the hobby immeasurably and I for one am very thankful for them. I hope they keep investigating for a long, long time. And thanks to Jeff L for continuing to carry the torch.....

and lastly, Fripples, if you get into any more heated or "disagreeing type" discussions your name will need to be out here per the rules. I and a few others know you but most of the board doesn't. Nothing personal..
Old 08-12-2014, 07:20 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
So funny. Sad but funny.

Guess I know a Plank that will need reviewed again soon. Just remember.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...entoryid=35826

The more I read the more I miss these guys.

I asked in the other thread, when I mentioned the PSA 6 Plank, if anyone thinks this will affect PSA. Let me rephrase this, does anyone think that PSA will have a rollover investigation from the FBI considering the cards Mastro and Co. are now admitting to altering are in PSA holders?

It seems to me that if the Noe investigation led to the Mastro investigation (as is mentioned in one of the threads) that then led to Allen and Rodgers, wouldn't the next logical step be an investigation into PSA especially considering it is a publicly held company?

Last edited by bn2cardz; 08-12-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:59 AM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
I asked in the other thread, when I mentioned the PSA 6 Plank, if anyone thinks this will affect PSA. Let me rephrase this, does anyone think that PSA will have a rollover investigation from the FBI considering the cards Mastro and Co. are now admitting to altering are in PSA holders?

It seems to me that if the Noe investigation led to the Mastro investigation (as is mentioned in one of the threads) that then led to Allen and Rodgers, wouldn't the next logical step be an investigation into PSA especially considering it is a publicly held company?

These are good questions and it's very disturbing that some of these cards were holdered.

There likely several problems. One problem is the statute of limitations since a lot of this happened more than five years ago. The other problem is proving that PSA intentionally graded doctored cards and that will be difficult since that would require someone admitting that bad cards were deliberately graded. PSA's obvious defense will be incompetence.

On the other hand, it would be interesting to see Mastro's submission records to PSA and same goes with some of these consignors who submitted cards to PSA like the Plank PSA 6 that ended up in Mastro Auctions. Obviously these submissions now need to be rigorously scrutinized and the bad cards need to be bought back by PSA.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 08-12-2014, 08:20 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
These are good questions and it's very disturbing that some of these cards were holdered.

There likely several problems. One problem is the statute of limitations since a lot of this happened more than five years ago. The other problem is proving that PSA intentionally graded doctored cards and that will be difficult since that would require someone admitting that bad cards were deliberately graded. PSA's obvious defense will be incompetence.

On the other hand, it would be interesting to see Mastro's submission records to PSA and same goes with some of these consignors who submitted cards to PSA like the Plank PSA 6 that ended up in Mastro Auctions. Obviously these submissions now need to be rigorously scrutinized and the bad cards need to be bought back by PSA.
In my tiny bit of knowledge of law the Statute of Limitations, for many or most things, doesn't seem to start until the issue is known about. So if something happened 10+ yrs ago, but was only recently found out about, then that is when the Statute starts, not when it originally happened. I have never thought PSA did anything knowingly wrong although the PSA 8 Wagner has some stories that might contradict that. And yes, I would certainly agree that PSA needs to fix any mistakes of incompetence of otherwise, as any business does.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Dan Marke1

Leon,

Here's an excerpt from an article for criminal statute of limitations:

Federal statutes are only applicable to federal crimes. Typically, those are crimes which violate a congressionally mandated law or take place on federal property. Mail fraud and burglarizing or vandalizing a federally owned property are examples of what can be considered a federal crime.

Each type of federal crime has it's own type of statute of limitations however there is no statute of limitations for federal crimes punishable by death. Certain federal terrorism crimes do not have a statute of limitations either. Otherwise, prosecution for other federal crimes must begin within 5 years from the time the offense was committed. There are a few exceptions, such as arson, art theft, particular crimes against financial institutions and various immigration offenses which all carry statutes of limitations longer than the five-year norm.

No matter the applicable statute of limitations, the time period can be extended because of certain circumstances. For example, when the accused is a fugitive or the case involves charges of wartime fraud against the government, the statute of limitations can be lengthened.

Examples of federal crimes that receive extended statutes of limitations:

20 years for major theft of art work
10 years for arson, certain crimes against financial institutions and immigration offenses
8 years for non-violent violations of the terrorism-associated statutes

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc...s-state-crimes

So in this instance, it appears that 5 years is the statute of limitations because I don't see any of those exceptions applying here.

But, your statement is generally true for civil liability unless it was something that should have been discovered with reasonable diligence. However, PSA does have a buy-back policy, which should be the easiest avenue for recovery.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I'm sure Doug Allen provided all info to the federal investigators about PSA when he was cooperating. Before he obstructed justice, obviously. Same with Bill and John Rogers. Of course, all of their info would need to be corroborated because Doug, Bill and John are not exactly trustworthy individuals.

Regardless, I have no doubt Joe Orlando is more nervous than usual these days.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:44 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Leon,

Here's an excerpt from an article for criminal statute of limitations:

Federal statutes are only applicable to federal crimes. Typically, those are crimes which violate a congressionally mandated law or take place on federal property. Mail fraud and burglarizing or vandalizing a federally owned property are examples of what can be considered a federal crime.

Each type of federal crime has it's own type of statute of limitations however there is no statute of limitations for federal crimes punishable by death. Certain federal terrorism crimes do not have a statute of limitations either. Otherwise, prosecution for other federal crimes must begin within 5 years from the time the offense was committed. There are a few exceptions, such as arson, art theft, particular crimes against financial institutions and various immigration offenses which all carry statutes of limitations longer than the five-year norm.

No matter the applicable statute of limitations, the time period can be extended because of certain circumstances. For example, when the accused is a fugitive or the case involves charges of wartime fraud against the government, the statute of limitations can be lengthened.

Examples of federal crimes that receive extended statutes of limitations:

20 years for major theft of art work
10 years for arson, certain crimes against financial institutions and immigration offenses
8 years for non-violent violations of the terrorism-associated statutes

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc...s-state-crimes

So in this instance, it appears that 5 years is the statute of limitations because I don't see any of those exceptions applying here.

But, your statement is generally true for civil liability unless it was something that should have been discovered with reasonable diligence. However, PSA does have a buy-back policy, which should be the easiest avenue for recovery.
I am not a lawyer so everything I am about to say is purely from an ignorant bystander with questions.

I am sure $50K+ cards don't go through the regular channels and there is not a run of the mill grader looking at it purely for insurance purposes. So I don't see how these cards were graded without knowing exactly who they were doing it for.

The investigation I am talking about is if they were knowingly grading cards that shouldn't have been(or not given a grade above Authentic) for their own financial gain. If they indeed were knowingly helping Mastro and Co. I am sure they weren't doing it purely to gain more business but rather they were enjoying other financial gains.

IF PSA is found to have been knowingly grading cards for others to help with financial gain or in anyway boost the company's financial statements wouldn't, as a Publicly Traded Company, they fall under the SEC? Isn't there a Statute of Limitations similar to what Leon brought up in SEC cases?

You mentioned the refund policy, but as was shown with the (s)Nodgrass Cycle they wouldn't return it for the original buyer of that card and he was stuck with a card everyone knew was a fraud but that PSA wouldn't do anything about, so I don't think they could stand behind that "guarantee" if this does play out.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:02 AM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Exactly,it looked like Legendary trolled mom and pop card shops to try and come up with something for this auction which just ended.Pinholes ?Inked ?How the mighty have fallen.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:01 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

anyone remember the touchy -feely family essay/photo session Orlando did for Doug in an issue of PSA guide a few years back.So what were the fruits of that relationship and how it affected cards coming from Legendary to PSA for the grading process ?
Old 09-05-2014, 06:35 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Meanwhile, Joe and Doug keep chugging along....Proof??? Jeff L., what's your take??

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 09-05-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:22 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Kevin, I have no idea what you're trying to say.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:09 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Jeff,nothing lately on the Doug Allen sentencing.think his attorney is stalling the system ?
Old 09-29-2014, 12:11 PM
pete ullman

i realize it's kinda late in the game...but is there any way to deduce whether I(anyone) was ripped off in a legendary auction?
Old 09-29-2014, 01:01 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

that might be hard to discover.a bigger question,with a major void at the top,are you willing to consign to this auction company.Halloween is right around the corner and the major players of Legendary already have their costumes waiting for them : zebra outfits.