NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default November Pickups

My 2 recents pickups, both from Ebay.

The 1st is a 1912-1917 Deadball Era International League Baseball, Edward Barrow President Stamping. Significant becuz Babe Ruth played his only minor league season in 1914 in that 8-Team International League.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IntlLeague19121917.jpg (77.5 KB, 863 views)
File Type: jpg Barrowstamp.jpg (70.3 KB, 860 views)
Old 11-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default and my 2nd p/u

A Real Photo Postcard of the Warner Hotel in Chicago where the gamblers met with the Black Sox in Chicago during the 1919 World Series.

Been waiting and hoping for this one for awhile. 1st one I've seen come up on Ebay and several Postcard Sites in years of watching. The search is over!

Quote from Chick Gandil: "Later in Chicago I got word from Sullivan that he was bringing a friend from New York to sew up the deal. A meeting was arranged at the old Warner Hotel on the South Side, where many of the players lived. Sullivan introduced his friend as “Mr. Ryan,” but, having met this man two years before in New York, I recognized him as Arnold Rothstein, the big shot gambler."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HotelWarnerBlackSox.jpg (76.7 KB, 860 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 11-02-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:19 AM
Steven Finley

Bridges 1930 Press Photo from the minor league Evansville Hubs.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
A Real Photo Postcard of the Warner Hotel in Chicago where the gamblers met with the Black Sox in Chicago during the 1919 World Series.

Been waiting and hoping for this one for awhile. 1st one I've seen come up on Ebay and several Postcard Sites in years of watching. The search is over!

Quote from Chick Gandil: "Later in Chicago I got word from Sullivan that he was bringing a friend from New York to sew up the deal. A meeting was arranged at the old Warner Hotel on the South Side, where many of the players lived. Sullivan introduced his friend as “Mr. Ryan,” but, having met this man two years before in New York, I recognized him as Arnold Rothstein, the big shot gambler."
Moe,
Very cool postcard! That just shows that doing good detective work and perseverance pays off. I love hearing stories like these. These are always some of the best pickups! Congrats!
Old 11-03-2010, 06:24 AM

Happy to add this Iconic 1944 Betty Grable Pin-Up Pose TYPE 1 Photograph to my collection.

BTW... This image was selected as one of LIFE Magazine's 2003 Book "100 Photographs that Changed the World"

A must see list by the way... http://tinyurl.com/yuzuj9

BettyGrable.jpgBettyGrableVerso.jpg
Old 11-03-2010, 07:45 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post

Very cool.

For anybody interested, the Rothstein character is featured prominently in the HBO series "Boardwalk Empire". It's set in 1920 and there have already been numerous references in the show relating to the Black Sox scandal.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Can anyone tell me how rare/scarce is an Arnold Rothstein autograph? I imagine pretty hard to come by.

Last edited by mr2686; 11-03-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Josh Margolin

Default 1969 Mets

Not so vintage, but today my boss brought in and gave me a complete copy of the New York Times from the day after the Mets won the series. Said his sons didn't really have any interest and wanted it to find a good home. Not a bad day at the office!
Old 11-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Dan Bretta

Thank you John Rogers for making the Sporting News Archive photos available to the hobby...I've been able to add two Lincoln Chiefs photos to my collection in the last few weeks...that's usually all I can add in two or three years.

And love that postcard story Moe...Black Sox collectors are fascinating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aljackson1957.jpg (36.9 KB, 714 views)
Old 11-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Phil Garry

Just back from Beckett. This is the earliest item of Eddie Collins that I have able to pick up this far, a 1905 Columbia University Baseball Team Photo ........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Collins_Eddie_1905.jpg (73.7 KB, 525 views)