NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Default Advice on trimmed Keeler card - UPDATE

Posted By: Paul

I just picked up the red background version of the E90-1 Keeler on ebay with some back damage. It's a card I've wanted for many years, and I thought that I got it at a steal of a price, even with the back damage.

When it arrived, I realized that the bottom border had been trimmed. The card is a little shorter than most E90-1s that I have seen, but there is some size variation in this set, and I believe it is still within the legitimate tolerances. But the wavy border on the bottom confirms that it's been trimmed. Here are the scans.

I'd like your opinions on what this card is worth in this condition. I'd tell you what I paid, but I'd rather get your opinions without you knowing what I paid. (It's easy for you to look it up on ebay if you're curious).

My guess is that I paid about the right price for a trimmed card. (I guess everyone else on ebay realized it was trimmed, resulting in me paying the correct price). But I would like your opinions.

If I paid about the right price, I'd also like your opinions on what I should do. I really do like the card, and I'm unlikely to pay the thousand dollars that a very similar (but untrimmed) example sold for in Lew Lipset's most recent auction. Would you return it, and give up all hope of owning this card with an unblemished picture? Would you keep it and just live with the fact that you didn't get what you thought you were buying? Or is there any chance that the seller would actually give me a partial refund and let me keep the card?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Paul

Old 12-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Paul, I'd get rid of the card one way or the other. It would be a salvageable card if not for the lousy, wavy bottom as the front is nice otherwise. I would say it's worth less than what a PSA 1 is worth due to the back damage. Maybe $100 or less? I'd hold out for a 3 or so for about $500 as it really is a great card to have if you can get your hands on one.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Geno

Paul --

I'd keep it and try to get a partial refund. This is of course assuming you paid what a Fairish card would go for. I'm not a high grade collector, so the trim wouldn't bother me nearly as much as most guys on this board, however, I wouldn't want to have paid for it in a higher condition. In this case, it doesn't detract from the condition very much, as the back is so poor, therefore I'm guessing you probably paid a fair value for it.

If it makes you wince to send it back, then you probably should keep it. If it pisses you off that you got ripped off, then send it back.

Take Care,
Geno

Old 12-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

Looks like the seller intentionally obscured the bottom edge in his ebay listing. I would attempt to return it on that fact alone. I agree with Jeff as to the value. I hope you paid with paypal and have recourse to dispute the purchase in the event the seller does not stand behind it. Given the effort he took to hide the fact the card is poorly trimmed I suspect he is not going to be cooperative with a return.

Greg

Old 12-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

Paul -
I think that card in an "Authentic" holder is about a $100 card. I went back to the auction
and saw what you paid. The seller doesn't mention the blatant trim job on the card and his
scans are somewhat difficult to pick it up compared to your scan here.
I personally would ask the seller to refund the difference from the figure I mentioned.
If he doesn't cooperate, I then would surely ask for a full refund due to the inability of
not mentioning the trimming. Give him the option and see where it goes.

Tony

Old 12-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Well what does it cost to get it in an authentic holder??

I might pay $100 less that cost. Are you wanting to sell it, or haggle with the previous seller, or what?

And it looks like one side might have been slightly trimmed, and the bottom for certain, then the "trimmer" decided to quit trimming...

Old 12-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Kaufman

The card is obviously trimmed and worth no more than $150. You need to get some money back, since the listing did not mention the trimming. If you can get some cash back from the seller, I would keep the card and get it graded AUTHENTIC by SGC. Good luck !

Old 12-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad

Paul,

You are obviously taking a chance when buying an ungraded card, specially a desirable card, most collectors look for graded cards if there concerned about TRIMMING! That's a bummer alright, butit's still a nice piece of history!

As for what the card is worth, "It's worth what you paid for it!" There's always a person who will pay more then what you paid...

Asking for your money back: Did the EBay seller quote in his description (takes refunds)? if not, there's no return policy. You bought the card asif it was a trimmed card (the closing price reflects paper loss & trimming)!

Old 12-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

seller should have mentioned it was trimmed...it was scanned in a top loader so the trimmed bottom did not look as obvious in the ebay auction. i would contact about sending it back to him asap and see what he says. nice card but imo if it was scanned properly and trimming was mentioned it would have sold for a little less.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad

http://cgi.ebay.com/Willie-Keeler-1909-11-American-Caramel-E90-1-Red-Back_W0QQitemZ320189235880QQihZ011QQcategoryZ86840 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 12-10-2007, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Thanks for all of the advice. I will be contacting the seller. Your estimates are a little lower than I was guessing, which is part of the reason why I'll be contacting him. That, and the fact that it's just not right.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator

I've contacted the seller, and he has agreed to take the card back for a full refund. Incidentally, he said he has owned the card for 25 years.

He does have good feedback, and I suspect he is being honest. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my money is actually refunded. Thanks again for your help.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

For what its worth, the seller at the beginning of the auction originally had the card listed as as a T206 White Border. I wrote them and told them what set the card was really from. I dont think they knew they had a trimmed card.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

I still have a large group of E-90s that I bought more than 30 years ago. Some have holes, some are long, some are short, and a couple are so obviously trimmed that you know it's not an attempt to hide anything. Probably just to fit inside a holder.