NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Scott S

Default What card did you never think you'd own, but now you do?

Growing up, I always remember the allure of the 1952 Topps Mantle, but was more intrigued by the 1951 Bowman one, especially enjoying that it was produced a year earlier, during Mantle's actual rookie season. But I thought the price tag was higher than I would ever be able to afford.

Many many years have passed since I first dreamed of owning one, and I now have acquired a '51 Mantle. It's not perfect, but it makes me quite happy......

Would love to hear about other cards you never thought you'd get to acquire, but have been able to do so!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951 mantle 1.jpg (78.1 KB, 1499 views)
Old 12-05-2017, 08:29 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Nice card Scott...terrific color and registration! Congrats!
Old 12-05-2017, 08:49 PM

For me it's the Newsboy Cabinet of Mike Tiernan. They are uncommon for starters but I finally had the right combination of timing, money and a seller willing to let me pay it off over a few weeks.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:01 PM

For me it was a T206 Magie and at the time, I didn't think I would ever get one because my card budget was about $200-300 a month. In fact, the only reason I got the card is because I showed it to my dad and then after I went to work, he won it off Ebay.

That was an odd phone call at the time, around late 2000, maybe early 2001. He called me at work, told me he won the card, then said you can pay me back when you have the money. So I went from excited, to realizing I had a lot of money to pay back, then back to excited. He ended up taking some of the price off for either a birthday or Christmas present.

While I was paying off the Magie, he bid on a Plank and I had to draw the line there. He didn't come close to winning, but I pictured myself finally paying him back right around now.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 12-06-2017, 02:30 AM
Marc S.

Primarily because I believe this example is unique, this KBat cabinet of my favourite team with Harry featured prominently with tophat in the center still awes me everytime I look at it:

Old 12-06-2017, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
For me it was a T206 Magie and at the time, I didn't think I would ever get one because my card budget was about $200-300 a month. In fact, the only reason I got the card is because I showed it to my dad and then after I went to work, he won it off Ebay.

That was an odd phone call at the time, around late 2000, maybe early 2001. He called me at work, told me he won the card, then said you can pay me back when you have the money. So I went from excited, to realizing I had a lot of money to pay back, then back to excited. He ended up taking some of the price off for either a birthday or Christmas present.

While I was paying off the Magie, he bid on a Plank and I had to draw the line there. He didn't come close to winning, but I pictured myself finally paying him back right around now.
You should have taken the Plank.....
Old 12-06-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:

I have a similar story. I was collecting the t206 set and got to 520 which at the time was the complete set in Beckett. They didn't count the big 3 as you never saw them. I figured that I was done. Then I had a chance to buy a Plank and Magie, but I was recently married and could no longer afford them. Fast forward to a couple of years ago at the National and I saw a Magie for sale. It was now in my budget by selling off duplicates from my collection. That gave me the drive to sell more cards to get my avatar.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:26 AM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
Primarily because I believe this example is unique, this KBat cabinet of my favourite team with Harry featured prominently with tophat in the center still awes me everytime I look at it:

Marc that is an amazing card!!!

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 12-06-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
You should have taken the Plank.....
I didn't like owing money, so at the time I remember having something like a dollar left to my name at the end of that first month of paying off the Magie because I gave everything to my dad. I couldn't picture five years straight of that same scenario each month. I would have actually paid it off sooner because my financial situation got better about a year or so later, but I didn't know that at the time.

I should have been a little more clear when I said I had a $200-300 card budget each month. I literally had a $200-300 budget each month for anything after I paid my bills, I just always spent it on cards, so there was nothing to cut back on to help pay it off quicker.

Would have been nice to get the Plank, but I don't regret it.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 12-06-2017, 07:41 AM

Default 1960 Post Cereal Box...

..the pin-hole brought the price down to a point where I could just about almost barely sort of justify the purchase to TheWidowGarcia.....She eventually agreed that it "looks nice..."

Old 12-06-2017, 07:51 AM
pete ullman

For me its a mantle rookie....51 bowman...only because I never thought I'd be "silly" enough to pony up for one!!!!!
Old 12-06-2017, 08:00 AM
Jason Greco

My aspirations, at least as a kid of about 8 with no financial sense, were far more modest. All I wanted was an '84 Topps Don Mattingly.
Hindu Brown: 1/34

****NY Highlanders Team Set****
Basic Team Set: 13/28
Master Team Set: 13/315
Old 12-06-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greco827 View Post
My aspirations, at least as a kid of about 8 with no financial sense, were far more modest. All I wanted was an '84 Topps Don Mattingly.
This post just reminded me about one card, although it's the exact opposite of a card I never thought I would get. When I was nine, I got a calendar with a picture of the Old Judge Buck Ewing & mascot card. At that time, I said I was going to get that card. Considering that I had been to many card shows and stores at that point and never saw an Old Judge card, it was quite a declaration on my part.

So it wasn't a card I thought I would never get, it just took about 17 years before I actually bought it. I'm sure if you told me when I was nine that it would cost me $400, I probably wouldn't have been so confident I'd get it one day.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:13 AM

I'm right there with you buddy:

Old 12-06-2017, 09:03 AM
Matt

Great topic. For me it was a centered 1952 Topps Mantle that was in my price range with a clean image. Once I began shopping for one, I just kept seeing tilt after tilt or OC after OC. Eventually I settled initially on one that was 60/40-ish with some tilt. And then a few years later my dream example finally came along.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:05 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by greco827 View Post
As a kid that was my answer, too. I never was able to get one. Always so expensive in NYC. The Donruss I just gave up on. I equally coveted the 83 Traded Strawberry and 84 Topps and Fleer Goodens. Never had them as a boy. Were the first cards I circled back for after college.

Last edited by MattyC; 12-06-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:15 AM

This is the other card I never thought I'd own:

Old 12-06-2017, 09:30 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Great topic. For me it was a centered 1952 Topps Mantle that was in my price range with a clean image. Once I began shopping for one, I just kept seeing tilt after tilt or OC after OC. Eventually I settled initially on one that was 60/40-ish with some tilt. And then a few years later my dream example finally came along.

Thanks for sharing - fantastic Mantle! Those Mantle rookies were the stuff of dreams for a lot of us - nice to see it becoming reality for some of us now!
Old 12-06-2017, 09:45 AM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

There are so many cards I thought I could never own, but then I find a way. If you look at my join date, that is my first day collecting. I started looking at the archives here, at all the amazing cards you guys have on the board. One of my first loves was the '41 Play Ball DiMaggio, I always thought it was out of my reach, but I finally found one going under the radar and got this one. Leon was the one that got me going with PCL cards, though not in your traditional way. He posted about some E100s he thought were suspicious on e-bay, and I hit the link, decided to take a chance on one, and won that. He also had I think four of the E222s, and I never thought that one of those would end up in my collection, yet a few years later, here I have two. Cobb has always been special to me, I read books about him as a kid, and we have the same birthday. This D304 is my favorite Cobb card, but prices always made it seem out of reach, but by lowering my expectations of having a pristine example, I was able to get a low grade beater. But the card I never in the world thought I would get was the Bishop. I can't tell you how many hours I spend looking at these, and finding this one of San Francisco blew my mind, and I still have a hard time believing it is in my collection. So I guess this palaverous post of mine is basically intended to encourage you to keep going and not let your dreams for a specific card ever stop. Keep going and one day, you will figure out a way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E222 Shauhnessy003-tile.jpg (75.2 KB, 1017 views)
File Type: jpg 1910 Bishop & Co. P.C.L. San Francisco Team Card (E221).jpg (85.7 KB, 1017 views)

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 12-06-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post

..the pin-hole brought the price down to a point where I could just about almost barely sort of justify the purchase to TheWidowGarcia.....She eventually agreed that it "looks nice..."

I totally agree with your lady, Mike; that Mick DOES look nice! Glad she gave you her permission. My lady did the same for me when I poured out my heart to her about the card that I never, ever thought I would own. Congrats. ---Brian Powell
Old 12-06-2017, 10:29 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
I didn't like owing money, so at the time I remember having something like a dollar left to my name at the end of that first month of paying off the Magie because I gave everything to my dad. I couldn't picture five years straight of that same scenario each month.
I completely understand. This seems like a rational approach. But in my case I went for the Plank. It took me two years to pay it off.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:13 AM

1910 Washington Times Frank Oberlin, it resided in an advanced collector's collection for ions and I had offered well in excess of $10K and couldn't pry it from him. I then won the exact card in an REA auction for $2750 after he sold his collection.....

Every now and again some dumb luck has to happen thank goodness.

Dan Mckee
Old 12-06-2017, 11:24 AM

None yet, but I've got a list of cards that I want and I hope to be able to one day say "Never thought I'd get that one..." about at least one of them.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 12-06-2017, 11:49 AM

For me, it's probably the Zeenut Jimmy Claxton.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Claxton.jpg (6.9 KB, 982 views)
Old 12-06-2017, 12:49 PM
C@rl P@rk

Jason Greco touched on this, but oftentimes I still look at my whole collection with a childlike sense of amazement. Like many of us on here, I entered the hobby during the junk-wax mania and bought new factory sets and "special" sets (Donruss Opening Day, Donruss Baseball's Best, anyone?) because the older cards were permanently out of reach. Things to gaze at that sat in a display case, or to be owned only as detachable reprints from a glossy book my dad bought me. I eventually "outgrew" the hobby and never dreamt I'd be back in 20 years later.

I know I am a pretty small fish compared to many collectors, but to survey my collection now - to own all of the post-war rookies - Mantle! Mays! Aaron! - all of them! And on top of that, over half of the mythic T206 set, not to mention a bunch of other cards from the 30s, 40s and 50s - well, I never stop getting a thrill out of this fact. The 10 year-old collector in me is still alive and well and in disbelief that I grew up and is blessed enough to have the resources to afford an incredible collection of baseball cards that may as well have all cost a million dollars each back in the '80s. And that junior collector in me is also pretty thrilled that we finally have an '86 Donruss Canseco and '89 Ripken FF stashed away.

Last edited by KingFisk; 12-06-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:54 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Well, with apologies to the OP, I'll reverse his question:

What card did I always think I would eventually own, but never will:

1952 Topps #311- Mickey Mantle

-

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 12-06-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Sean Costello

Carl, great description of how it feels to collect something that you love. I feel the same way, I'm just much less eloquent about it.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:58 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post

-
When I first got interested in T206 (in the late '90's) I always figured that I would someday get a Doyle variation. I didn't realize how truly rare (expensive) that card really was.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:59 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
1910 Washington Times Frank Oberlin, it resided in an advanced collector's collection for ions and I had offered well in excess of $10K and couldn't pry it from him. I then won the exact card in an REA auction for $2750 after he sold his collection.....

Every now and again some dumb luck has to happen thank goodness.

Dan Mckee
Dan gives me hope that someday I'll get that T215 Merkle.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:48 PM

Default anson mayo

The card fell in my lap in a trade from a collector who contacted me out of the blue for a card he needed that I had won years ago in a B&L auction. (It helps that I'm not a stickler for condition.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anson.jpg (47.4 KB, 939 views)

Last edited by pete zouras; 12-06-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:01 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:

-
I was thinking on a similar line, but more "What card did you think you would never own, but now that you do you think, eh, not as cool as I thought it would be?"

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 12-06-2017, 02:20 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
I was thinking on a similar line, but more "What card did you think you would never own, but now that you do you think, eh, not as cool as I thought it would be?"
This one:

scan0003.jpg
Old 12-06-2017, 03:11 PM
Paul

I've known for a decade or so that a signed T206 Lajoie existed, but I really thought I'd never own one. But then about a year ago, I reeled in this white whale...

Lajoie_Batting_SGC_A

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 12-06-2017, 03:29 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

There were a lot of cards that I have always wanted and eventually got my hands on. Before I discuss the cards with you all, I want to say that all of this was possible because I still live at home with my parents. When you don't have to worry about paying the bills, then it's not that difficult to buy expensive sports cards.

As a kid I always wanted a high-end 1966-67 Topps Bobby Orr RC. When I started working in my early 20s, I saved up and purchased a beautiful example from BMW Sportscards. It was an SGC 6, but looked stunning. Many years later, when I ended up in debt, I decided to have some fun by cracking it out of the case and submitting it raw to BVG. It came back a 7.5. I ended up flipping it and paying off my debt.

Another special card that I eventually got my hands on, and still own, is the 1951 Parkhurst Gordie Howe RC in SGC 6.5. Now the centering isn't that great, and that's very common among this cards, but the corners are so sharp that I just had to trade for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160129_182929.jpg (76.8 KB, 934 views)
Old 12-06-2017, 06:11 PM
Daryle Barbee

Default Ruth

For me it’s the 1916 M101 Ruth RC
I remember reading an article in a 1983 issue of “Baseball Cards Magazine” about Babe Ruth cards. As a 12-year old beginner collector I was drawn to the picture of the Ruth RC. I would look at it and think to myself “I’ll probably never even see a real one”. I was able to see a few at the National Conventions that I attended in 1992, 1999 & 2007....Turn the clock up to 2009. A fellow board member offers his up for sale. I see the card and immediately tell myself....”There’s my Ruth Rookie”. I contacted him. We talked. In couple weeks it was in my hands. Never forget slowly unwrapping the packaging and slowly pulling card out. I was 12-years old again for a few moments ����
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DC075204-D2A6-4B44-A351-E1430F1CABE6.jpg (5.9 KB, 885 views)

Last edited by wolfdogg; 12-06-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:18 PM
Dave_Berg

Greatvcard and story Daryl. Sounds like you got your card around its last time of semi affordability. Congrats on acquiring that gem.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:52 PM

This an interesting thread, although I have toi admit that Marc's K-Bats is the most amazing card I have seen in quite some time.

My humble addition would be one of my favorite So. League players, Buck, don't call me Bock, Hooker.

Cheers, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e222 Hooker .jpg (50.6 KB, 872 views)
Old 12-06-2017, 07:48 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Carl, great description of how it feels to collect something that you love. I feel the same way, I'm just much less eloquent about it.
Thanks, Sean!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:55 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I have a little side collection of Jersey City Skeeters prewar cards and there are several cards on my wantlist that I don't think I will ever obtain. This T215 Red Cross of Billy Purtell listed with Jersey City was one of those cards I never thought I would find considering the rarity of Red Cross cards let alone finding a specific non-HOFer. I was very happy to have this example fall into my lap years ago and was able to acquire it. I don't even care about the condition, I don't think I'll ever see another one.

Thanks,

AndyH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T215 Red Cross.jpg (62.5 KB, 773 views)

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 12-07-2017, 05:39 PM
Kenny Cole

I've been lucky to acquire a number of cards I never thought I'd own. But if I had to choose just one, its the Tomas Gutierrez Oscar Charleston. It was the No. 1 card on my want list for probably 20 years but I never thought I'd get to own one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1923-24 Tomas Gutierrez 14 Charleston HOF 1976 SDB.jpg (77.9 KB, 754 views)
Old 12-08-2017, 05:40 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Great stuff guys! I really appreciate the stories.

For me it is more about cards I never thought I would find rather than price per se. sometimes I get the perfect one and it is the end of that subject in my collection.

First one like that for me is my signed Bowman Groucho Marx card. I wanted a Groucho autograph since I was a little boy because my favorite uncle is an entertainment lawyer and met Groucho and got a signed photo that I saw every time I visited him. When I saw the Bowman cards I thought how perfect would it be to have a signed one. I have insomnia and I often surf eBay in the wee hours of the morning. One day I was online searching and the signed Bowman Marx I’d long sought popped up with a BIN.

Another card that comes to mind is my 1951 Topps Ringside salesman sample panel with Rocky Marciano’s rookie card. Sample panels are tough to begin with and having one is ambitious but to get The Rock’s RC is fantasyland stuff.

Finally, a family heirloom item. My avatar is Ray Miller, a former #1 contender in the lightweight division and well known boxing referee. Ray is a first cousin of my grandfather. I never got to meet him; my father never even mentioned him until after he died in 1987. I actively collect his memorabilia and have several signed items. Ray is one of two refs in the Topps Ringside set. I have seen a signed card once. I bought it and would never sell it. But that’s not even the best part: when Topps liquidated its Ringside contracts through the Topps Vault program I was able to buy Ray’s signed contract.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-08-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:37 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

-
That's more like how it is for me.
When I started everything was cheap even if it didn't seem that way. And I thought someday I'd have "everything"..........

Now 40 years later I know there are a lot of things with so few copies known that getting a set is incredibly unlikely even with a fantasy unlimited budget. Also my concept of just what "everything" includes has changed drastically. Well beyond the then available reference works.

So it's minor stuff, like figuring I wouldn't find another George C Miller I could afford, but then a beater turned up on ebay listed simply as "old baseball card". There's a bunch of cards now that I figure I simply will never have the money for - Wagner, 52 Mantle - Or have to opportunity to buy. (Funny how the most expensive stuff is usually available if you have the money. I was told that back in 78 or so, but didn't believe it at the time. )

Overall I'm pretty happy with what I've put together so far, some of what I have now has become more expensive than I'd be willing to pay so I'm glad I bought it years ago.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:55 AM

Default Babe Ruth RC

For me, It was The Babe Ruth RC. I read about it and saw it many many years ago and thought their would be no way I could ever afford that card. Then fast forward 20 years. My business was doing really good and my wife convinced me to pull the trigger and get it. I still wake up every day and can't believe I own it. Now, my son likes it even more then I do!!!, lol

Troy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916m101-4baberuthrookiefront.jpg (43.3 KB, 792 views)
Old 12-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

I'd look though those now old 1980's Beckett Magazines, look at the prices and the photos and wonder how on Earth anyone could afford those prices? I have 4: A Wilt Chamberlain RC, a 1957 Topps Gene Baker error and a guy I know was gracious enough to sell me a 1916 M101Holmes to Homes and Green-Joyce.

I think at some point we all ask ourselves "How did our collections get to this point?" Some of it was by sheer luck and through connections but all of it was through hard work and determination.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Duncan

Add me to the '51 Mantle crew.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951 mantle.jpg (78.4 KB, 755 views)
Old 12-09-2017, 07:16 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Default E121 Ruth

Since its now in-hand I can finally add mine to this thread!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E121AmericanCaramelRuth.jpg (76.7 KB, 713 views)
Old 12-09-2017, 07:22 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I have several to be thankful for:
51 & 52 Mickey Mantle
48/9 Leaf Satchel Paige
Rc's of Mays, Aaron, Clemente & more
but I am more excited about my 1915 CJ Joe Jackson.
(pics are in my imgur link in my signature)
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 12-09-2017, 08:16 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
Since its now in-hand I can finally add mine to this thread!
beautiful copy! congrats!
Old 12-09-2017, 11:54 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Thanks Pete!!
Old 12-09-2017, 12:25 PM

Paige
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0202.jpg (71.2 KB, 680 views)