NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-27-2021, 06:17 PM
George E.

Default Exhibit Supply Question

I am going through my Exhibit cards and trying to figure their dates. I’m somewhat confused about how to tell the exact year (unless it is not possible to always tell).

I can figure out the earliest date based on the marks, but if they re-used the pose the following year, did they keep the mark? Or did they change the mark to that year’s mark?

In other words, if I have a Bob Feller with the 1948 mark, is it definitely a 48? Or did the Feller stay exactly the same including the ‘48 size mark? If the latter, is there a yearly checklist that would show when Feller was taken out production?

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:25 PM
John
John Pur.cell

There is a resource on the web that helps with identifying them...a lot of it lies in the copyright and the country of origin printed at the bottom. I also think the salutations, when present, provide clues. http://keymancollectibles.com/exhibitdatechart.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2021, 06:34 PM
George E.

Thanks for the link. What I need to specifically know is if that is only the earliest possible date, or did the mark change even for players/poses that carried over from the previous year.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:37 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by abothebear View Post
if they re-used the pose the following year, did they keep the mark? Or did they change the mark to that year’s mark?
Yes.

They changed the mark except when they did not. There is no fast and firm rule.

As for when they stopped a particular card, no firm rule either. Best rule of thumb is that a card was issued until the player retired. Here is an uncut sheet:

See the 'Salutations' Feller in the top row and the Minoso in the bottom row? Or how about this 1951 checklist card with Feller listed:

Minoso was not in the 1950 issue:

But Feller was. So the Salutations Feller was issued into the 1950s and Minoso had a RC in the 1951 set.

The only truly definitive answer to how long or how early is uncut sheets. Below is an uncut sheet of Exhibit cards ca. 1960 at the earliest (Rocky Colavito is shown with Detroit, where he went after the 1959 season in a trade for Harvey Kueen). Next to Rocky is Ted Williams' Salutations card.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-27-2021 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:04 PM
George E.

Default Yogi

I've got a Yogi with "AN EXHIBIT CARD" on the left bottom. I don't see that on either of the uncut sheets (it is hard to tell though). But some of the players appear to still have it.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:11 PM
Randy Capel

Default Exhibits

This is another good resource.

https://www.tcdb.com/ViewResults.cfm...&Type=Baseball

It does not have the description explanation KeyMan does, but shows the cards well.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:21 PM
George E.

Adam, on your 1960(ish) sheet, does Yogi or Ted have "printed in..." or "made in..."? I can't tell from the photo.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Neither can I; the image isn't that crisp.

The Yogi with the notation is a 1949. Wouldn't be on the sheets I showed. The one with Feller is a 1951 or later sheet.

Check these these Rizzutos:

the one with AN EXHIBIT CARD is a 1949. The one with AN EXHIBIT CARD scratched out is probably a 1950. The last one is 1951 or later. Same pattern with Larry Doby:

here's the kicker: where they scratched out the AEC, they don't appear to have changed the MADE IN USA. Not all 1949s are found with the scratch out, but some 1949s are found in later years. You'd have to look at each card closely in comparison with the others but it is a good possibility that carried over cards may have carried over bottom legends. It was so much easier in the 1920s with the different designs or colors every year. You get this you know it is a 1927 just from the color:

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-27-2021 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:31 PM
George E.

So there are some indications that are definitive. The 49s can be figured. I’m guessing the 52s as well (if one can discern the b&w).
Old 03-28-2021, 07:01 AM
John
John Pur.cell

I am learning a lot on this thread! Thanks for posing the question.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:38 AM
Jim T.
Ji.m Tar.olli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp3rd View Post
I am learning a lot on this thread! Thanks for posing the question.

Agreed, I appreciate all of this info. I'm starting to really get in to the Exhibits myself

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2021, 11:31 AM
George E.

Default 11 years ago

I got my first dose of Exhibit information from Adam's #7 post on this thread from 11 years ago.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=133443
Old 03-29-2021, 08:09 AM
George E.

just to be clear, and perhaps to beat a dead horse...

If I have a cards with 1/2" 'MADE IN USA', that only tells me that the earliest it could be is 1947. The 1/2" 'MADE IN USA' could carry into the next years on that pose even though the new cards on those sheets have a different mark. Is this a correct understanding?
Old 03-30-2021, 06:51 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Yup; they just weren't that diligent at changing things from year to year. I had a run-in with PSA a few years ago when they refused to certify a prewar Exhibit as a specific year because the back didn't match the standard catalog listing. The front was only issued that year but the back happened to be blank. It happens.

Or not...
Old 04-01-2021, 06:07 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

FWIW my Robinson is 5/8"

Or not...