NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-06-2004, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Default Helmar now beer with vintage baseball

Posted By: Max

I saw these replica wooden signs (although not clearly stated as such) on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64496&item=6117392251&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

and made my way to the beer and baseball website of Helmar Brewing: http://helmarbrewing.com/

A news story on the beer http://www.brandpackaging.com/content.php?s=BP/2004/07&p=7 indicates the owner Charles Mandel is also a sports memorabilia collector. The marketing invokes Goudey and T205 images, among others.

But most importantly, has anyone tried the beer? Does it taste better slabbed in PSA or SGC?

Max

Old 09-06-2004, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: mjkm90

My wife purchased me a four pack. It's pricey $12.00. There are about 20 or so different caps, several different bottles etc. The beer is outstanding and the art work is fantastic. I'm trying to assemble a collection of all the numbered caps to display framed.

Old 09-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Now we're getting somewhere! I can hit both my hobbies with one purchase...

What states are these guys distributing in?

Old 09-06-2004, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Here's the distribution map from their website

http://helmarbrewing.com/beer_distribution.htm Nothing south, nothing in Canada (and no vintage hockey players for Jeff O in WA)

On a vintage thread, I seem to recall from previous auctions and elsewhere player endorsed beverages. Does anybody have any examples handy of pre-1920 items?

Max

Old 09-06-2004, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff O

Max, when will hockey get the respect it deserves?!

I've been pitching the idea locally of putting the greatest hockey players in Seattle hockey history on Hungry Man frozen dinners (you could use that Salsbury Steak as a puck!), but so far no takers.

I've tried collecting beer before, but I have storage problems. I just can't seem to keep it in my stomach for very long...

Jeff

Old 09-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Jeff O

I still might have a couple of shot glasses from when Max Bentley used to come over and drink Scotch with my dad on Saturday morning, talking about his job as super for the apartment in Delisle Saskatchewan. Perhaps you could market those glasses with every copy sold of your Seattle hockey history.

Max

Old 09-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Any DNA left on the glasses?

Old 09-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

Helmar is a beer found in Michigan. I found a case a month ago and purchased it for $35. I haven't tried the beer because I am keeping it for a present. I can check the corner market to see if there are cases left and if anyone lives in Michigan I can tell them where they are located. If anyone just wants the crowns, I will be more than glad to drink the beer and send you the crowns for a small fee....just let me know.
As for the display pieces, local specialty stores in the area don't display the posters or the wooden signs because people are stealing them....crazy. It is a nice idea...great marketing...plus a lot of the profits go to gravestone for negro league players.

Tom

Old 09-06-2004, 08:09 PM
Administrator

I see your shot glasses, and raise you an actual piece of Agrium from Delisle, Sask. with a 1994 Canadian penny in it (worth $0.006 in US money). This piece of Delisle's mining legacy was given to me by none other than Bev Bently, Max's brother and former goaltender of 1959 WHL champion Seattle Totems when I visited him at his winter home in Phoenix in February!

And that's a true story!

Anybody out there ever received a piece of "memorabilia" that strange from a former player? That could be a whole thread by itself.

Jeff

Old 09-06-2004, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Perhaps I slept through too many science classes, Jeff O, but I could swear that that is potash encasing the penny. Isn't Agrium the name of the company?

Max W

Old 09-06-2004, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Potash is actually Potassium Chloride, and Agrium is the name of the company that is the largest producer of Potash. Neat item, Jeff. (btw the penny is actually worth $0.0076 now )

Old 09-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Administrator

And who says you can't learn anything on the internet!

The disk is labelled Agrium, which I assumed was the trade name of the stuff... I believe it is used as a fertilizer? It is certainly the most unique item in my Seattle hockey collection.

Regardless, I had a very enjoyable afternoon with Bev and his wife. He has a great memory and had a lot of great stories to tell.

Jeff

Old 09-06-2004, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Jeff, was the "Scoop" Bentley who played for the Seattle Ironmen also a brother of Max and Bev? (I think he was)

Old 09-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Yup. Scoop's given name was Wyatt, and he was part of the clan.

Jeff