NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Default Shill Bidding?

Posted By: Tom L.

I was high for awhile on this particular Old Judge (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8805198857), but the bidding is starting to look a little questionable. One bidder with zero feedback pushed the price up, while another with zero feedback is now high bidder. (See http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=8805198857). Does this appear to be shill bidding, or is it just coincidence?

Old 05-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Default Shill Bidding?

Posted By: anthony

my guess is yes, both those guys have been longtime members since yesterday... unless they happened to see the press release from robert edwards auction on the crazy money these old cards were bringing and wanted in on it... but i doubt it

Old 05-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Default Shill Bidding?

Posted By: andy becker

i would say the likelihood of two bidders with zero feedback competing for an old judge is not good. i would stay away.....

Old 05-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Default Shill Bidding?

Posted By: jackgoodman

Be Afwaid, be wery afwaid.................

Old 05-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Default Shill Bidding?

Posted By: Bill Todd

I don't think it's any coincidence that the auction is for a "Griffin C.F." card and the current high bidder is "griffinc1."

Bill

Old 05-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Default Shill Bidding?

Posted By: T206Collector

...but if you put a bid on an ebay auction prior to 20 seconds before the close of that auction, you only have yourself to blame for this kind of "ratcheting up" shill bidding. Why anyone would put a final high bid on ebay prior to 20 seconds before the close of that auction is still beyond me...

Save yourself some money next time and maybe even win a card at a good price -- use an auction sniper.

Old 05-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Default Shill Bidding?

Posted By: Glenn

Interestingly, I sold some James J. Braddock items a couple of months ago to a bidder named jbrad. No coincidence there either -- turns out his name actually is James J. Braddock and he's the grandson of the champ.

Old 05-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Default Shill Bidding?

Posted By: Tom L.

What kind of crap is that? Shill bidding is illegal, no matter when you place a legitimate bid.

Old 05-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Default Shill Bidding?

Posted By: Glenn

prior to the last 20 seconds

Old 05-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Default Shill Bidding?

"What does this shill bidding have to do with the issue of snipe bids in the last 20 seconds."

Granted, shill bidding can take place at any time in an auction, even as a late high snipe designed to eat away at a proxy bid's high price. But you only have time to ratchet up, like one of the shill bidders in this auction, if you have a high proxy bid made with lots of time before the close of an auction.

Old 05-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Default Shill Bidding?

"Shill bidding is illegal, no matter when you place a legitimate bid."

Agreed. And so is getting robbed in a subway when you are walking around with a visible rolex or an open wallet full of cash. It is illegal to steal from you under these circumstances, but you could have protected yourself a little better.

Old 05-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Default Shill Bidding?

Posted By: andy becker

it is a shill. no question. what t206 (hi paul) is saying is that by bidding before the auction has run it's course, the bidder is exposing himself to these tactics.

not all bidders agree, some prefer to place their bids and "scare" everyone off. others prefer to snipe.

i use both tactics. i will bid early for a card that is already close to my price level....i will hope that my level is higher than others.
i also will snipe at items i do not want to loose....items that show up infrequently.
both stategies have their merits, by sniping you have a better chance to win an item, imo.
but sniping can also cost you more money....if you set a high snipe and someone else sets a high snipe, then you run the risk of "overpaying".

there is no right or wrong, just personal preference.

in this case, there is a least one shill bidder....which is obviously one too many.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Default Shill Bidding?

Posted By: Chris

Mike Griffin was my great grandfather. We have been looking for one of his cards for quite some time. I placed a max bid with ebay and they did the rest. My exicited sister started to bid against me not knowing how the process worked. The card will remain in the family. Sorry guys no shill.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Default Shill Bidding?

Posted By: sagard

Ahhhh... The rarely used "shill yourself" technique.

Congrats on the win.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Default Shill Bidding?

Posted By: Bob

LOL! Congratulations on winning the card. Amazing how many people put their names in on ebay and hit search and wind up in the vintage card section. I have sold cards to descendants of at least 4 big league players whose cards were in the Obak and caramel card section.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Default Shill Bidding?

Posted By: pat

"Ahhhh... The rarely used "shill yourself" technique."

sagard-- thats too funny. i actually broke out in laughter.

great.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Default Shill Bidding?

Posted By: dan bartenbaker

everyone knows,or should know that shill bidding does exsist. it's not fair but it is going on. dan