NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Default Newbie

Posted By: Dave Hornish

Hi All:

Just beginning to branch out into pre-war cards and have lurked long enough. I know a few of you guys from OBC but that's about it. I am starting to put together Brooklyn Dodger team sets primarily from various E, T and R sets (I especially am fond of 30's R cards at present)and also collecting T 205/6/7 backs. Casting about for information, I re-stumbled across this forum.

It's out of context here but I am also a big 60's and 70's Topps Oddball collector and am trying to piece together a baseball type set thru 1980 from the king o' bubble gum as well (excluding those four and five figure proofs!). I'm also fascinated by Lenticular technology of the 60s' and 70's.

I have a few articles in the OBC library, including a long out-of-date (written in 1992) T card monograph and you may have seem my bit on Topps Inserts and Test Sets there as well (also old but holding up better). I also try to maintain extensive vertical files and scans on the vintage sets as I am a bit of an archivist and very interested in the historical aspects of sports (and non-sports) cards and how they fit into the pop culture of their time.

Well enough about me......I look forward to reading through all the posts!

Happy New Year too!

Dave Hornish

Old 01-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Default Newbie

Posted By: barrysloate

Welcome to the board Dave. Sounds like you've been doing a bit of research and keeping some good files, so in that respect you came to the right place. As you may have noticed, the board is a little occupied today with one of the controversial threads that pop up from time to time, but things will calm down. If you can think of something good to share, you may be able to distract us from all the other stuff that goes on here. But don't mind us, we're used to it.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Default Newbie

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Welcome, Dave!!

You must be a brave lurker. The timid lurkers are fearful of posting.

Gotta love those R cards!

Good luck with it all. Frank.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Default Newbie

Posted By: dennis

welcome! always good to see another card lover here.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Default Newbie

Posted By: Dave

So how many Daves are we up to???

Dave

Old 01-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Default Newbie

Posted By: J Levine

Hiya and welcome Dave! Was wondering when you might find this site.

To the rest....Dave really knows his stuff on Topps test and oddball issues and if he puts half the effort into prewar that he does those sets he will be a very welcome addition here.

Joshua

Old 01-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Default Newbie

Posted By: leon

Always great to have another cardoholic. Most of the times this place is pretty good but every once in a while (well about once a week) we have a little drama....Not sure that the majority don't actually like some drama. Please feel free to join in at will and if I can ever help let me know. I know of no other place on the net that has a more vast array of knowledge on vintage baseball cards......best regards

Old 01-07-2007, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Default Newbie

Posted By: Dave Hornish

Thanks for the warm welcome all (Hi Josh!). Now, what do I have to do to de-lurk and apply for membership on this specific forum? I did a search and was confounded (not a rare occurrence).

Old 01-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Default Newbie

Posted By: peter chao'

Dave,

Leon, our dear moderator is trying to maintain your interest in our little cyber-community. Sometimes we're arguing and going crazy over hobby issues and sometimes we're way O/T. There are even times when we discuss pre-war baseball cards. But that's what makes it fun. Glad to have you on board.

Peter

Old 01-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Default Newbie

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Being nice to Newbies is a sensible strategy. I sometimes give kids a T206 or two. Or a Goudey card. We have to have someone interested in these things in a few years when we are dying off...

Frank.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Default Newbie

Posted By: Ken McMillan

Hi Dave,

welcome to the board. I was on the web elsewhere and saw that you were looking for an E120 Ivan Olson card. I have a nice graded SCG 30 card currently on ebay. Thought I would let you know if you are interested.

ken

Old 01-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Default Newbie

Posted By: David Hornish

Well, I'm a newbie to the board but not the planet. 45 yrs old at present, getting younger by the day though (the wife would say more "infantile").

I am starting to troll the Ebay listings for T, R and E cards but I do tend to buy most of my stuff at shows. Being from OBC I am not a mint freak or anything even close to it and I own a grand total of zero slabbed cards at the moment. That will probably change as I finish off my Topps lists and look more to the pre war(s) items. I'm very comfortable knowing what's real and what's not in the Topps/Bowman universe but not so on the older material so graded cards are likely going to join my parade, although there is a good chance I would spring any card I buy that's entombed (gotta think about that a little more as it has implications in a way). In any event, how a card presents is far more important to me than a technical grade and I would say most of my collection averages VG or so.

Essentially, I am putting together Brooklyn Dodgers/Robins/Superbas team sets from over the years as it seems a nice way to collect a lot of sets but have more than just a type example of each and I have a huge historical interest in the Brooklyns, thanks to reading the Boys of Summer when I was about 12 and then hearing my Dad talk about them these many years as he started going to Ebbets Field in the 30's. So most of the T/R/E cards on my list are either Brooklyns or back variations of T205/6/7 which I also find fascinating from an historical persepctive(I must admit I like the 207's).

Dave

Old 01-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Default Newbie

Posted By: Ken McMillan

Hey Dave,

Your wife sounds like mine. The problem is what she says is true. I'm 46 and still like to play baseball. In fact I'm headed to Cubs fantasy baseball camp in a few weeks to be the camps only left handed catcher. It's a blast playing ball with former major leagers. My collection is the topps cubs from 1951 to current. I have all the errors and variations in the regular line and the updates. I also collect 1921 Yankees cards in the old stuff. My great great nncle was the center fielder for the team is where the interest is from. The dodgers theme is pretty cool also Good that you have a passion to support and a family that understands. Good luck in your hunt.

ken

Old 01-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Default Newbie

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Board newbie = fresh meat.... let's tear him apart on his second post... he'll think twice before coming out of the closet again.

Welcome Dave!

Old 01-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Default Newbie

Posted By: piaz

dave any relation

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cabinet-Cards-1860-Hornish-FAMILY-Toronto-LOT-OF-16-pho_W0QQitemZ160071549269QQihZ006QQcategoryZ13705Q QtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 01-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Default Newbie

Posted By: David Hornish

Looks like a typo in the auction listing. It's Cornish memorabilia. My ather's family is from Germany, they emigrated after the civil war. My mom's side was on the Mayflower though....

Old 01-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Default Newbie

Posted By: Ricky Y

Welcome Dave. This place is better than any soap opera...and I have found that in between the chaos you will find incredible knowledge, information and photographs of every conceivable pre war cards you could imagine existed!

Ricky Yo

Old 01-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Default Newbie

Posted By: peter chao

Dave, Ricky

A soap opera, not quite, this Board should be like Cheers or a similar sitcom.

Welcome onboard from one newbie to another.

Peter