NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Pup6913

Default Drum Pouches and a 1876 Tobacco Tax stamp

I am recycling this thread instead of starting a new one. I have gotten a few Drum pouches and a 1876 Tobacco tax stamp. Very neat items and the last pickups for a while. They are on the 2nd page of the thread at the bottom post. Hope all have enjoyed the items I have been lucky enough to find and thanks to everyone for the help.

I have added more to my small collection of tobacco era stuff. I got the Mayo pouch but need help in determining if the rest of it is worth getting. These small riverside community antique shops are great. Starts at post #9 and #10

Alright so yesterday I got a tobacco pack from an antique shop. Today I got done early and hit the shop again to finish my round in there. This is what I found.

Helmar Cigarettes unopened pack completely sealed (minus a bit of celophane)

2 Tuxedo tobacco tins (Any info for these would be great)

Mayo Cut Plug tin (8x5x3 are the dimensions)

A minor league team photo of Togo KS team??? Has a blank back and the studio was Rollows Art Studio. I got 2 names off of it from a piece of card stock on back holing it into a old frame.

Back row L-R 2nd player is Harry Bell and last player in back row is Earnest Bell.

I would appreciate any help with these items as far as value, idenification, and wether they may have or do contain items.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Helmar pack.jpg (78.3 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg Helmar pack back.jpg (79.2 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg Togo minor leaguers.jpg (75.7 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg mayo can.jpg (78.7 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg mayo can back.jpg (77.2 KB, 255 views)

Last edited by Pup6913; 02-05-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Pup6913

The other tins
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tuxedo cans.jpg (78.4 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg tuxedo cans backs.jpg (77.7 KB, 252 views)
Old 02-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Jon Canfield

Tuxedo tins only somewhat elated to baseball because of the signs... thy never produced cards. Regardless, they have little value. The Helmar box is too late for card distribution and is worth about $10 or so. The Mayo lunch box was used for distribution of the N series cards, but are common. In that condition, I would pay less than $30 for it...
Old 02-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Pup6913

Thank you Jon for the info. Looks like I did okay on those.

Anyone help with the ohoto. I know there were alot of home teams back then but am hoping someone has something to help.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Dan Bretta

The photo is not a minor league team, it's a town team. Appears to be circa 1900-1910..probably right in the middle there. Town team photos like that usually bring about $50 unless you get two guys from Togo or Kansas that want it badly. Clint Hromek may know more about the team.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Pup6913

Thanks Dan. In the bottom row third guy in (the younger looking one) He looks familiar like I have seen him in another photo before. Maybe not. anyone got a possible ID
Old 02-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Clayton

Default Cool stuff Andrew!!

Regardless of what these items are worth,it's a nice group of antiques!!I wish I could help on the team photo,but unless it's the obvious,I'm just not good at it.I wonder about the guy in the lighter uniform-does this signify him as the pitcher,or is there another meaning for this?
Take it easy-
Sincerely,Clayton
Old 02-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
Thank you Jon for the info. Looks like I did okay on those.

Anyone help with the ohoto. I know there were alot of home teams back then but am hoping someone has something to help.
Glad to hear. Also, always good to see someone new collecting cigarette packs!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Pup6913

And so today I hit a small town shop and got a Mayo cut plug pouch for the collection. Here is a pic of it as well as some other items I seen in there. I do need a value on the Drum Pack please. It is full but the tax stamp has been broken. I think the price is reasonable but I don't know for sure. The other packs are empty and have foam cubes inserted in them for asthetics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0224.jpg (78.5 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0225.jpg (70.3 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0227.jpg (71.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0228.jpg (74.0 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0233.jpg (75.4 KB, 132 views)
Old 02-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Pup6913

mayo pouch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mayo pouch.jpg (77.2 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Mayo pouch back.jpg (77.5 KB, 132 views)
Old 02-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Jon Canfield

Andrew - the other packs are not really worth the price tags on them (The Murad is worth about what's being asked so not a great deal). The Drum pouch, however, is a nice companion piece for the T206 and T205 sets. While it was, with almost cabsolute certainty, not used to distribute baseball cards, it's as close as you can get since there is only 1 known Drum cigarette pack and that one predates the card issue by over a decade. In that condition, I would estimate the Drum pack to be worth around $100.00 - $125.00.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Barry Arnold

Default pouch,etc.

I bought a great looking Drum pouch that i've already framed from a fellow
named Canfield !!!
Glad to see you on board with the packs, Andrew.

best,
barry
Old 02-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Pup6913

Barry it is cheaper than cards at the moment and seems very available around here for some reason. Plus it breaks the monotony

Last edited by Pup6913; 02-05-2010 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Need the A in spelling:)
Old 02-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Johnny S

Helmar pack is sweet, smoke em if you got em!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Al

Default Drum

Very nice items Andrew! Dont let the spelling police (Barry) catch you on monotony!
Old 02-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Pup6913

Thanks for the help guy's.

Jon I am going to print off the list of pack with pics and turn it into sort of a book that I can take with me into shops and stuff. I do believe there may have been a few Miners tobacco packs in there. I may be mistaken but I think thats what they said and I paid no attention to them. I hope they are because that would be neat.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Pup6913

Here is the minor league photo framed and matted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg puppies 008.jpg (75.1 KB, 94 views)
Old 02-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
Thanks for the help guy's.

Jon I am going to print off the list of pack with pics and turn it into sort of a book that I can take with me into shops and stuff. I do believe there may have been a few Miners tobacco packs in there. I may be mistaken but I think thats what they said and I paid no attention to them. I hope they are because that would be neat.
Andrew - sounds good. Miner's Extra packs are pretty scarce. I know of all 5-10 or so as of right now.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Pup6913

New finds and this concludes my search for now as I blew my card money on these items over the last few days. Hope you guys enjoy the new finds.

Drum pouch full of tobacco 1910 tax stamp

Drum pouch empty same yr

1876 IRS tax Stamp for sale of Leaf tobacco (8x10 ish).
Man can you imagine what $25 a yr was to them back then to sell tobacco at a store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drum pouch.jpg (76.0 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg drum pouch back.jpg (77.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg drum pouch full.jpg (77.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg drum pouch full back.jpg (77.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IRS Tobacco Cert.jpg (78.1 KB, 57 views)