NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Default Barn Find

Posted here because of the # of members in the pre-war arena who have had barn find type experience. Mostly looking for pointers on how to go into the situation below. I also added what I'm going to be looking at.

I am going out to look at a collection of primarily 1940's baseball tomorrow that is supposedly a true "barn find" and a few Goudey's. I know there are some reproductions out there for these years so I'm approaching cautiously. One question I have is whether or not I should expect to see x number of SP's per y number of cards? The guy said there are Ruth's in the group so if there are 5 of them and only 40 cards should that be a red flag? Were there any super prints I would expect to see more of in the Bowman or Leaf sets? I've read up on how to identify the fakes but sometimes I have found that knowing the distribution of the cards themselves helps to determine how they were purchased or collected. I uncovered a find of 39 Playball's 20 years ago and there were two Joe D's and two Williams in a group of about 200 cards. Any advice from seasoned barn find collectors would be helpful.

If it turns out to be legit then I'll certainly share pictures tomorrow evening.

Thanks,

Eric

Last edited by Tao_Moko; 08-07-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: forgot to mention the Goudey's and explain why I posted in the prewar section
Old 08-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Sean Brennan

good luck eric!
Old 08-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

No big surprise. Big bust. Lots of modern reprints nicely roughed up to go along with a grand story.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post
No big surprise. Big bust. Lots of modern reprints nicely roughed up to go along with a grand story.
Were thet at least "good" reprints? I have seen people try and pass Topps Archive as the originals...
Old 08-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
Were thet at least "good" reprints? I have seen people try and pass Topps Archive as the originals...
Not really. Not as bad as Archives but pretty bad. I knew better then to get excited but it's hard not to.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Bill Hedin

Default keep looking!

Hi Eric,
Too bad it didn't work out.
Keep looking, as one of these days you WILL find something nice.
Best Wishes,
Bill Hedin
Old 08-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Dan Lundrigan

If this person is knowingly trying to pass off reprints as original cards that would be fraud in my book! Hate to see anyone lose money on this sort of stuff but as the saying goes buyer beware. Maybe the police should be contacted if this person is trying to pull off a scam?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcarddan View Post
If this person is knowingly trying to pass off reprints as original cards that would be fraud in my book! Hate to see anyone lose money on this sort of stuff but as the saying goes buyer beware. Maybe the police should be contacted if this person is trying to pull off a scam?
Gee, officer. I thought surely they were real old. I am no expert that's why I called one.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:43 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcarddan View Post
He was looking for offers and before I left told me I could buy them for $8 bucks so I figured he he was not going to have much luck ripping anyone off. Every opportunity is worth at least a look but I feel kind of stupid for missing the obvious signs. We all dream.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Dan Lundrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post
He was looking for offers and before I left told me I could buy them for $8 bucks so I figured he he was not going to have much luck ripping anyone off. Every opportunity is worth at least a look but I feel kind of stupid for missing the obvious signs. We all dream.
LOL! $8.00 Ok so I guess were not talking grand larceny here!