NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-07-2012, 10:35 AM

Default The National rotation

If I understand correctly (and I could very easily be wrong), I am assuming that 2013 is in Chicago, 2014 is in Cleveland, 2015 is in Chicago and 2016 was supposed to be in Baltimore but it fell through so 2016 is open (?) Could someone please tell me if this is correct or if not, please post the schedule for the next few years?
I had hoped that 2016 might be somewhere other than the Chicago-Cleveland hub (I'd vote for Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, St. Louis or even Las Vegas) but it doesn't seem like it is going South or West....
Old 08-07-2012, 10:40 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

At the bottom of their homepage:
The current schedule for the National is: 2011-Chicago; 2012-Baltimore; 2013-Chicago; 2014-Cleveland; 2015-Chicago; 2016-TBD; 2017-TBD; 2018-Cleveland.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:56 AM

Default Future Nationals

1 vote for Las Vegas.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:16 PM

Default +1

Vegas would be awesome!
Old 08-07-2012, 12:30 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Vegas and Orlando both do conventions very well
Old 08-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Matt Hall

Last year, after the National, there was a similar thread where a bunch of people posted +1 for Vegas.

Quit hogging the National east!
Old 08-07-2012, 01:19 PM

At the Net54 dinner, Mike Berkus explained that there are a lot of issues that go into selecting the host city. Some cities don't have a large enough venue, while other cities have union issues.

Cleveland had originally been scheduled for this year, but it was changed to Baltimore, after the huge success of the 2010 National. It was unfortunate that the Orioles were away during the week of the National.

I believe they're looking into St. Louis and/or Boston, but it looks like the National is ending up rotating between Chicago and Cleveland, with a possibly different city for 2016 and/or 2017.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Matt Hall

I'd imagine Vegas could be super expensive. I did an apparel convention there with a company I used to work for. A 10x10 booth was 10K and up.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:45 PM

Default Also

I think one of the major reasons the show is successful is that everything (dining, museums, etc,...) are a few blocks away at the Inner Harbor. There were numerous times that a fellow collector told me his wife & kids were at the Inner Harbor while he was at the show. They probably should choose a city/venue that is similar to the downtown layout of Baltimore.

The Chicago National is actually in Rosemont. There are some activities within walking distance of the convention center, but not a whole lot. Getting to the touristy area of Chicago involves some time & planning. The Cleveland venue, of course, is convenient to the airport, but not much else.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:52 PM
pete ullman

how about st paul, mn!?!?! Center is close to the river...and lots of dining/bar options?!
Old 08-07-2012, 02:41 PM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
how about st paul, mn!?!?! Center is close to the river...and lots of dining/bar options?!
Sounds good to me! Like others have said, I just like it to be in the middle of other things. That's why Cleveland is reported to be fairly lame. There is a convention center downtown in Cleveland but they are not using it in favor of the one all the way out by the airport. Not fun.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Rich
R1ch Sm1th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
The Chicago National is actually in Rosemont. There are some activities within walking distance of the convention center, but not a whole lot. Getting to the touristy area of Chicago involves some time & planning. The Cleveland venue, of course, is convenient to the airport, but not much else.
It's the same place they hold the Wizard World conventions every year. Great access from O'Hare (like five minutes away) and two blocks from an L Train stop. There are a TON of hotels around the convention center, so that shouldn't be an issue. Harry Caray's is a ten minute cab ride. Wrigley isn't too far if you take the L train. We've been there more than a few times and really like the area.

Rich
Old 08-07-2012, 03:33 PM
pete ullman

Chicago is hotel accessible...but there is no "action" anywhere near there! Last year my GF and I set out DT on the train...and ended up a little lost/stranded I should say when the train stopped unexpectedly for a medical emergency and we got out and couldn't find a cab to save our lives.

It's not like Baltimore where everything is literally walking distance...it's nice!

Last edited by ullmandds; 08-07-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Todd Schultz

Pete, I'd prefer Mpls to St. Paul for purposes of the convention, although St. Paul is a great city. The light rail would take folks to either Target Field or the Mall of America (heck even the airports), and you'd have no problem grabbing a bite or pint either. Now, just to find a nearby place with the right square footage.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiX37 View Post
It's the same place they hold the Wizard World conventions every year. Great access from O'Hare (like five minutes away) and two blocks from an L Train stop. There are a TON of hotels around the convention center, so that shouldn't be an issue. Harry Caray's is a ten minute cab ride. Wrigley isn't too far if you take the L train. We've been there more than a few times and really like the area.

Rich
I totally agree. But, for whatever reason, people don't seem to want to take the L train or cab to go anywhere.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Warning

Do not soak cards in the Mississippi River

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Larry Harris
Banned

nashville,tn?
Old 08-07-2012, 04:18 PM

granted i'm biased because i'm from philly and baltimore is under 1 1/2 hours from my house, and i've been to both shows there and have had a blast.... but to state the obvious: if the two shows in baltimore were as successful as everyone has been saying, why wouldn't it come back to baltimore in the near future??

Last edited by Simmons Nation; 08-07-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Umm...San Diego would be great...nice convention center that is close to everything including the airport, hotels, petco, dining, clubs, bars, family stuff, national parks, zoo, etc. It would be ideal.

Joshua
Old 08-07-2012, 06:32 PM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
I totally agree. But, for whatever reason, people don't seem to want to take the L train or cab to go anywhere.
It's because it takes 45 minutes to get downtown on the L. I don't care if it's a train, plane or hovercraft, 45 minutes is not close.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Jake

I hear Miami is hot this time of year
Old 08-07-2012, 11:30 PM

I was told by one of the officers on the National Committee that there is only about 10 convention centers in the country big enough to hold a gathering of this size. What is the square footage of the show floor in Baltimore?
My son tells me that the convention center in Washington DC has the same square footage, unfortunely it's all not on the same level.

Mark WVSportkings
Old 08-08-2012, 12:08 AM
David R

San Francisco would be ideal - great weather, enough space at the convention center and close to my home.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:27 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
Umm...San Diego would be great...nice convention center that is close to everything including the airport, hotels, petco, dining, clubs, bars, family stuff, national parks, zoo, etc. It would be ideal.

Joshua
+1 for San Diego or Vegas. Especially San Diego. It couldn't be any better, as all the stuff Joshua mentions is within 10 minutes of the Convention Center. Infinite hotels and dining, and the Gaslamp Quarter and Petco Park are a 2 minute walk. Mix it up, for Christ's sake

The "10 Convention Centers that are big enough" is a ridiculous excuse for not venturing west of the Mississippi. If San Diego can host Comic Con and Las Vegas can host the Consumer Electronics Show, then either venue could easily accommodate the National.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:10 AM
Pup6913

Quote:
I concur Peter. Kansas city would be great also. Has everything needed and the airport is cheap to fly in and out of.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
+1 for San Diego or Vegas. Especially San Diego. It couldn't be any better, as all the stuff Joshua mentions is within 10 minutes of the Convention Center. Infinite hotels and dining, and the Gaslamp Quarter and Petco Park are a 2 minute walk. Mix it up, for Christ's sake

The "10 Convention Centers that are big enough" is a ridiculous excuse for not venturing west of the Mississippi. If San Diego can host Comic Con and Las Vegas can host the Consumer Electronics Show, then either venue could easily accommodate the National.
+1
Old 08-08-2012, 04:37 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVSPORTKINGS View Post
I was told by one of the officers on the National Committee that there is only about 10 convention centers in the country big enough to hold a gathering of this size. What is the square footage of the show floor in Baltimore?
My son tells me that the convention center in Washington DC has the same square footage, unfortunely it's all not on the same level.

Mark WVSportkings
An article in scd says it is 350,000 sf.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:01 AM

Louisville, Kentucky. If the Street Rod Nationals can be happy for the past 18 years in Louisville I am sure it would be a perfect fit. Slugger Museum, Slugger Field for a Bats game, Churchill Downs, Kentucky Derby Museum --lots to do and reasonably priced --y'all come !
Old 08-08-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVSPORTKINGS View Post

Mark WVSportkings
Concerning the Washington, DC convention center, if all of the halls are opened, I think it has enought space on one floor. Also, the new Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center in the Washington, DC area is a huge, gorgious venue that might be large enough. It is the largest non-gaming hotel and convention center on the East Coast of the United States.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Mike Berkus spoke at the dinner this year and covered this topic in detail. To summarize:

- the dealers vote on where they want the show to be held
- many convention centers will *not* book consumer shows (as opposed to trade shows)
- many convention centers will not book shows 4 years in advance, which is what the NSCC wants to do
- some convention centers require union workers to do the setup work, which increases the costs for the NSCC
- a convention center has to have enough contiguous space on a single floor to hold the NSCC

The options are limited.

Last edited by bcornell; 08-08-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:19 AM

San Diego, SF, Portland OR would all be great. How about a break for those on the West Coast?
JimB
Old 08-08-2012, 09:47 AM

Default Miami!

I live in Miami and the Miami Beach Convention Center, located in the Heart of SoBe, has more than enough space to host the National. I went to the show this year and to Chicago last year....no comparison. Miami's Convention Center hosts the World's largest Boat show, in addition to Art Basel, which draws hundreds of thousands of people annually. Not to mention walking distance from the beach and endless beautiful women!!! No taxi's needed.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
San Francisco would be ideal - great weather, enough space at the convention center and close to my home.

+1. Having just returned from San Francisco, it is now my first choice. AT&T is a beautiful ballpark and the city is magnificent, cool during the summer, and easy access to Fisherman's Wharf, North Beach, Chinatown, Haight-Ashbury, etc. The people there seemed laid back and friendly and the populace is culturally diverse. 100 times better than Los Angeles or Anaheim.
I also love Dallas-Ft. Worth (Arlington) and St. Louis as spots although both have atrocious heat during the summer.
My compromise candidate is Minneapolis and if they announced it would be there in 2016, I would buy my tickets now even though I live in the South.
tbob
Chicago is eons better than Cleveland as a host. No offense to Clevelanders but it needs to be dropped from the rotation.....
Old 08-08-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
San Diego, SF, Portland OR would all be great. How about a break for those on the West Coast?
JimB

Jim- Portland would be fabulous but since it has zero chance, I didn't mention it.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
JimB
Portland? Five people will show up.

Jim B and his family.

Last edited by calvindog; 08-08-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Portland? Five people will show up.

Jim B and his family.
I have a couple collecting friends here too, so that would make seven.

Judging from all the obsessive write-ups in the New York Times about Portland restaurants, art scene, etc., I thought you New Yorkers would love the idea.
JimB
Old 08-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Only the hippies and tree huggers. And they don't collect cards
Old 08-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Only the hippies and tree huggers. And they don't collect cards
Yes we do.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

West coast venue would be great but doubt it will happen.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Jay Shelton

Is there a reason that the National has not been back to Arlington, Texas, since the early 1990s? I went to that one, and found it a very rewarding experience, both in cards and memorabilia. I remember purchasing a 1948 St. Louis Browns cap from Roman Pro cap company (who had a booth). I still have it. One of the best "Cooperstown Collection" caps I own.

The Arlington Convention Center is quite large, and up until this past year, featured the local Wizard World Con, and is next door to the Rangers ballpark, with tons of restaurants and entertainment venues within a 3 mile radius (Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor, etc.)
Old 08-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Rich
R1ch Sm1th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
I concur Peter. Kansas city would be great also. Has everything needed and the airport is cheap to fly in and out of.
+1 for KC. Tons to do, central location, easy access in and out. Plus the Negro Basball Museum is a must see for any baseball fan.

Rich
Old 08-10-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
Is there a reason that the National has not been back to Arlington, Texas, since the early 1990s? I went to that one, and found it a very rewarding experience, both in cards and memorabilia. I remember purchasing a 1948 St. Louis Browns cap from Roman Pro cap company (who had a booth). I still have it. One of the best "Cooperstown Collection" caps I own.

The Arlington Convention Center is quite large, and up until this past year, featured the local Wizard World Con, and is next door to the Rangers ballpark, with tons of restaurants and entertainment venues within a 3 mile radius (Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor, etc.)

I thought I read somewhere that Wanda Marcus who was the driving force of the National(s) in Arlington had been in ill health or perhaps died? Arlington was the first National I attended and other than the heat, it was astounding and I thought very well run. One show featured Mickey Mantle as the key autograph signer and there was a HUGE line to get the Mick's autograph. To me it would be a logical choice to replace Cleveland but until there is new blood on the selecting board, I guess it will be the same old same old every year...

Last edited by tbob; 08-10-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:13 PM

Wanda Marcus died several years ago while undergoing a routine operation. She put on many very large and high quality shows at the Arlington convention center which is right next to the Ballpark and down the street from Jerry world.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiX37 View Post
+1 for KC. Tons to do, central location, easy access in and out. Plus the Negro Basball Museum is a must see for any baseball fan.

Rich
In the 80's Kansas City used to have some spectacular shows which were every bit as good as today's Nationals. Something happened in the early 90's and they have slowly evaporated. I remember seeing Joe D one year, Ted Williams the next year and Stan Musial the following year. I think Mantle made an appearance also. I am not sure who ran the shows but I remember buying my very first T206, an exmt Tinker bat on shoulder from a very young guy named Bill Mastro 30 years ago, who had all his T206s in a notebook in plastic pages. Memories...
Old 08-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Tim Zwick

John Mehlin & Jim Cumpton were the promoters who ran successful shows for many years in Overland Park just outside KC. Always great buying & selling shows back in the day. I set up at many of them.

Last edited by Tim Zwick; 08-10-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:23 PM

I remember attending a 3-day show in Overland Park around 1996 or 1997. Fantastic show !!!