NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Graig Kreindler

Default The November 2014 raffle painting!

Hey all,

I figured I'd start a new thread for the raffle painting this time around, this way the content doesn't get missed if sometime down the line people try to search it out. Or something.

So, the image that Eric has chosen, for those of you who haven't seen it:

The image finds our hero Babe in the dugout at Yankee Stadium before the first game of the 1932 World Series (the same World Series in which he supposedly called his shot). I would imagine that it was taken at some point before batting practice or something like that, mainly because the dugout seems a bit empty, as well as the seats directly behind the dugout. At the same time, the shadows on Ruth seem to indicate that the time is probably around 12:00, and if I remember correctly from my research, the actual game probably wouldn't have started any time before 1:00.

I think it'll make for a really nice painting, as the light seems to be bright and sharp. Also, there are some really interesting diagonals happening throughout the photo, especially the lines of the seats, dugout roof, and the patriotic tarp as they all relate to Ruth's gesture. Plus, there's also some interesting things happening in the dugout, both with some of warm glow of light bouncing off of the lacquered wood, and also with the fellow sitting down behind Babe (especially with that leg peering out of the shadows).

So, yesterday I made it to my art store and picked up stretcher bars. I assembled them as soon as I got home:

Then, the linen was stretched:

And finally, primed:

I followed the same procedures that I normally do, which I outlined months back with John's Hank Aaron painting. If anyone wants to read about why and how I made those particular choices, it's all mentioned in pst #43 of this thread:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...=188067&page=5

Anywho, I'm hoping that I can get the drawing taken care of at some point after the holiday weekend, and then finally get some paint to the canvas!

As usual, if you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask away!

Thanks for reading.

Graig
Old 11-25-2014, 05:52 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

Powerful image!

Albert
Old 11-25-2014, 10:00 PM
Er1cPr0chn0w

Graig
Your research on this photo is great! I just thought it was a great picture but having the historical setting just adds to it.
I went back and read the thread on John's Aaron photo progression. I am so excited to see the steps that my Ruth painting will be going through soon. 😃
Old 11-25-2014, 11:47 PM
Bill Boyd

Eric,
I suggest to you to copy this thread for the history of your painting. It is rare when you are able to get a detailed description of how your painting was created, as told by the artist himself. Having that history, years from now, could easily add to the provenance of your painting. It couldn't hurt to have that history.

Bill
Old 11-26-2014, 09:33 AM
Er1cPr0chn0w

Good idea Bill. I'll certainly do that.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:54 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and has since recovered from their respective food comas.

I got around to getting the drawing of Babe down on canvas, so I thought I'd share.

And also managed to cover the surface with the underwash I use as a ground for the other color that'll be laying on top of it.

It's going to take a few days to dry, but once it does, I can hop on it and start painting!

Graig
Old 12-25-2014, 02:11 PM
Belltown Vintage

Love the Banks. Maybe my new favorite Kreindler painting.

Merry Christmas all.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:52 AM
Graig Kreindler

Hey everybody!

Hope this post finds y'all well and at the start of a good year.

I've been working a bit on Babe, though it might not look like much has been done:

I'm at the point where everything is pretty much blocked in, and it's just time to start fleshing it out. And by that, I mean starting to pay attention to detail and a bit of nuance here and there. It's actually my favorite part of the process, because at this point, there have been two passes on the painting, so now when paint and color is put down, it looks a lot bolder and less translucent. So, it's exactly the kind of surface that allows me to play!

Anywho, I've been working out the seats behind Ruth, as well as his hands and legs, then am starting to approach the bats and rack.

Soooo, we're getting there!

Hope you all dig it.

Graig
Old 01-29-2015, 12:02 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post

Hope you all dig it.

Graig
Oh, I dig it alright! Looking good (wipe drool).
Old 01-29-2015, 12:12 PM
Nick C

Amazing piece Graig!

So much detail and it isn't even done.

-Nick
Old 01-29-2015, 01:01 PM
Bill Boyd

What is great about this process is that it takes two great artists to complete the process that we are seeing. First, the photographer who took the photo. An incredible eye to capture that piece of history to begin with.
The second, Graig bringing that piece of history into color, and adding more life to the original photo. Two great artists, and we get to watch the second half of this piece of history, come to life.
Graig, I know the photographer would be very proud of what you are accomplishing. One hellava artist you are.

Eric, You are a lucky man.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:13 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

WOW Graig! That is truly spectacular!

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 03-09-2015, 08:36 PM
Er1cPr0chn0w

The final product looks awesome! I have a feeling that when I get it that it will be even better. I will be eagerly awaiting the arrival of this beauty. 😃
Old 03-09-2015, 09:53 PM
qualitycards

Breathtaking! Love the details of the little things like Babe's sock & undershirt

Last edited by Jay Wolt; 03-09-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:34 AM
Bill Boyd

Graig,
Another beauty. In the background, the guy in the dugout really came out nice.
Congratulations Eric, can't wait to see a photo of your painting in hand or in its place among your memorabilia. Enjoy it.

As Graig said, the next one is down the road a piece, and you will not see a $30 entry again. I have some ideas so as we are not saddled with trying to sell a certain amount. But that is all down the road.
Another congratulations to Eric and two thumbs up for Graig.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:39 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thank you so much, everybody!! I'm thrilled that you all dig the final product. The photograph, though really great, doesn't do the painting justice. But then again, no photograph can ever do things like these justice - ya gotta be there in person!

I should be picking up the painting tomorrow, so I imagine I'll be able to send it Eric's way soon. Hopefully when it arrives, he'll be happy with it.

Graig