NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-22-2006, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Default Ways to assemble a nice collection?

Posted By: leon

In the last few days I have spoken with a few board members that said they were thinking about selling part of their collections. I told them if they keep doing that it will be much more difficult to attain a nice collection over time. Personally, I have been very focused from day one and it's paid off fairly well. I believe staying consistent and focused is the main thing to acquiring a nice collection. Also, not trying to build one overnight is important too. I have seen many newer collectors go crazy over this subject but if they are patient and focused it is much more enjoyable, at least in my opinion. BTW, I am aware it takes money too but this question is based on what "you" would think would be a nice collection for yourself. Whether it's a $200 collection or a $10,000,000 collection is not what I am asking... Of course if changing directions is what makes you happy then by all means go for it...No harm in that. Thoughts...

Old 12-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

Slow and steady wins the race. The only way for me to have beaten the Monster is to reject all other card purchases and focus exclusively on T206 for every penny spent.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I'm still searching for my collection's character.

With that in mind....
there are definitely items in my collection that are there for the long haul -
and there are others that I get bored of quickly and look to sell (no matter how much I thought I wanted it beforehand).

The problem is - I don't do such a good job (pre-purchase) of identifying what the potential 'long term keeper' is.
If I could do that, it probably would save me a bunch of time and money.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McHugh

Leon i agree the money part does not come into play. In my collecting like many others i started buying random cards because at the time i liked them. Then i found myself with a mix of many items with no real theme or goal. So the selling started and collecting goals were made. Maybe we all go through this to find out what we really enjoy the most. Having a goal to reach is a great way to collect. It could be to finish a set or a team or player set or anything else. From my collecting the main thing is to enjoy what you collect and you will stick with it.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Administrator

I am sure most know that I collect type cards. I am quite sure if I sold my collection it would be almost impossible to assemble again. If anyone has any D355's, E271's, or N338-1's for sale it will continue my focus....I guess I can say that here .....It's really not like anyone will have any for sale/trade but if I keep pleading ya' never know. I don't think anyone has ever completed a type card set (pre-war ACC baseball) so it would be a nice feat to accomplish. regards

Old 12-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I have been trying to get more focused in my collecting habits and in the long run I believe it will be more rewarding. Right now I have a larger collection of memorabilia and old equipment than I do cards and ephemera and I would like to narrow my collection down to just the few areas that give me more satisfaction like my Nebraska minor league baseball collection, Nebraska Indians, and 19th century cabinets and photos. I would like to sell off most of my gloves and bats although I will be keeping my 19th century bats and maybe a few gloves....I don't think I could part with any of my baseballs. The problem for me is that many of the items that I would like to focus on rarely come up for sale...My son is taking more of an interest in cards than he ever has so to fill my time we may start to put together Topps baseball sets the cheap and easy way by not worrying about condition, but by filling in the holes.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

you should keep the gloves and bats..... and sell those 19th century cabinets and photos to me

Old 12-22-2006, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

you have assembled...it would be an ideal type of collection for an organization, such as the HOF.
how do you organize it and display it? by era, type of issuer (tobacco, caramel, etc)?

My experience follows that of an earlier post - I am in the process of refocusing and trimming (can I admit to that? ) the collection after years of buying whatever was cool at the time...but it will always be a collection of sub-collections (family memorabilia, HOF rookies, Cubs, and a few select favorite players from modern times, such as Eddie Mathews & Campanella (for my Dad), Ozzie Smith, Kirby, Ron Cey, etc)...and the reason for this is that I have ADD. (I add this and I add that...)

But, money ALWAYS matters

Old 12-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

from 5 sports (baseball, boxing, football, hockey and basketball). As prices rose I had to scale back. Since I had stopped following them, I first dropped the latter three sports. I then stopped collecting modern baseball cards with the exception of a few sets from my (first) childhood. I agree that you have to take it slow and steady, and that you have to focus (unless you have unlimited funds available to spend). However, it doesn't mean you cannot pick up an eclectic selection of interesting cards. I think the best way to start is to sit down and make a list focusing on the things you realistically want and can aquire, something I do before every National.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

I have been thinking a lot about the focus of my collection lately. I have backed away from several purchases with the thought that: "This purchase doesn't fit my collection goals. It's simply filling my 'I haven't bought anything in awhile' anxiety."

I set out to collect rookie cards or first cards of all HOFers that were selected into the Hall by the Baseball Writers. The Sporting News published a "100 Greatest Players" list and I had to add those if I didn't already have them.

I had to have a Joe Jackson. The M101-5 was my first, but of course it was not his rookie. The e90-1 doesn't look like him so, I had to keep the M101-5 when I finally picked up the e90-1. The CJ is probably the sweetest and most recognizable so I picked that up. But then I acquired the National Game card. It really is the "card" with the best close up picture of him. So now I have four cards of someone that isn't even in the HOF...let alone elected by the BB Writers.

I have both of Mickey's "rookies." Of course the 51 Bowman is the rookie but the 52 Topps is sooo sweet and recognizable to everyone...even non-collectors. I have put the Topps on EBay and it hasn't sold. Quite frankly it's a relief every time the auction ends without a buyer.

I could go on and on about breaking my own collecting rules/focus. But the end message is I think I will be focusing my collection a little more during 2007. I'm sure I will sell some cards but also buy some cards that are perhaps a little more expensive but fit my goals.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

well Leon it can be said that consistency and focus is key for accomplishment in any endeavor. Also i dont think there's anything wrong with not having some clear cut direction with what you collect. I think it takes time to discover what your likes and dislikes are, and what you collect will forever change as one goal is accomplished or traded for another. Right now id like to put together a collection which has atleast one nice example from all of the various sets I like. So i can have the real thing in my hand instead of looking at the scans. Sure having one 50 card caramel set would be nice but id rather have 50 different T and E cards from all the various sets right now. The maing thing i love about this hobby is the vast amount of variety in cards. football and basketball have so few sets in comparison.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

I totally re-worked my collection this year. I was putting a t206 set together in PSA 3/ SGC 40 range for the last couple years... but it started to lose it's luster for me.

Since I'm a die-hard Yanks fan, I decided I wanted to really put a great Yankees Collection together. I had a couple nice Gehrig Cards (33 Goudey, 28 Harringtons both SGC 50)... so I decided to make them the foundation of my collection.

I kept the t206 Highlanders cards (and a PSA 3 Red Cobb just because I love that card) but sold off the rest of what I had... lots of HOF players and stuff. I swung them for some really great Pre-War Yanks cards including an E121 Ruth Montage.
Then I focused on the following Yanks sets:
t207
M101-5/4
Cracker Jacks
E121
'33 Goudeys

I've gotten about half of all of them in their respective sets so far. But I also found a new love for modern cards. During those slow points in the pre-war search, I decided to try to get the regular Topps issues from the present and make my way back to meet my vintage collection in the middle. I already had a lot of the sets from when I was a kid. I've now gotten every single regular season and update issue for the Yanks from present day to '62... so I'm getting there.

My point is that I re-focused my collection in a single year to try to have it showcase the history of the ball club. I think in a perfect world I would have 1 set of cards for the Yanks every year they have been in existence. Those E107's may never come around to me, but a guy has to wish.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

As a pre-war set builder collector you need:

1) Patience
2) Willingness to upgrade and flip dupes
3) Patience
4) Ability to not jump off the plank unless the card is truly rare
5) Patience

Old 12-22-2006, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Bob- I would slightly change one of your points:

4) not to jump off the truly rare unless it's a Plank

Old 12-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Touche' Barry, or as Bruce would say Twoche'
Happy holidays.
Bob

Old 12-22-2006, 12:48 PM
Administrator

And happy holidays to you Bob, and to everyone else on the board!

Old 12-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

If one is collecting in an expensive areas (say, Pre-War baseball cards), I think
it's nice to have a second area of collecting that is relatively inexpensive-- say
Post War baseball wirephotos, 1970s test issues, non-sport items. Items which are
of interest, but not expensive. This way, when things get slow and expensive in one area,
you can still collect without breaking the bank. Old Judges may be too expensive
in May, but you can pick up a Dodgers photo or a boxing card or movie still photo
for $8 and still be productively adding to your collection.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

David,

Your approach to collecting makes a lot of sense. It's also a reminder that pre-war cards like everything else is cyclical. The prices can't always be going up, even though it seems like it when you gotta have that card.

So while the goudeys are skyrocketing, I can work on upgrading my '57 Topps set. A sound approach. Thanks.

Peter

Old 12-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

I've been very focused since I started in June 2005 to amass a T206 set. I jumped around a bit with the card types at first and quickly focused on the portraits. I can safely say I haven't burned out, but it has limited my purchases. I would like to think this is a good thing as there are hundreds of T206's listed everyday and when I do pick up 1, I have time to enjoy it. Joe

In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Now that I FINALLY finished my 1914 Cracker Jack set, I can start buying other cards I want. The problem with starting a set is you start to spend your money on cards you really don't want. I love my CJ set, but after the 50-60 great cards, there are 80 or so cards that I never would have bought.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeremy

that's a fantastic achievement. there should never be a negative annotation to that.

Old 12-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Williams

I recognize my financial limitations, and focus on affordable St. Louis Cardinal cards and items that interest me. Some pre war stuff is interesting but unaffordable, and some is affordable but of no interest to me.

I also look for affordable Hall of Famers.

I occasionally venture off into something else such as 60's/70's football or something.

But if I'm buying prewar it's T206, or St. Louis stuff pretty much exclusively. Otherwise I wind up with a bunch of 33 Goudey commons when I have no desire to put a set together.

Old 12-22-2006, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Focus,Discipline,Admiration

I have only T206's. My T203's,T205's,T210's were sold sometime ago by
super colleagues on this board or to super colleagues on this board.
Once i parted with these, i've never looked back and have around 475 at this
point.

I have no duplicates. At this point, I buy exactly what I want. I do a bit
of a homework,checking out the various offerings here and there, and focus
on what I need.

I spend at least part of three nights a week hanging with the cards. I admire their aesthetics, the history, the workmanship, and the 'warts and
all'--which may mean polar bear tobacco stains, 'out of focus face',the tolstoi back 'seeping through to the front', the 'lurchy' presentation of a
Mowrey, or the bad hair day of a Shag Shaughnessy.

The Monster,though never tamed, is more the beauty than the beast.

happy holidays,

barry

Old 12-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

for me its all about eye appeal now...i just love my "red sun" back and my "mello mints" among others that i dont have like the zeenut weaver. unfortunately i am one of those guys who is not super patient but i also do not have unlimited funds. if all goes well, i should be able to pick up those harder find gems i want in my collection soon.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

i have always fancied myself a type collector but witnessing the coming together of leons collection and the skyrocketed prices...i'm realizing it is an unreasonable goal. and while i like back variations and general scarcities i plan to refocus my collection strictly on cards i really like...with great eye appeal or value...to me. i will no longer be a slave to ugly types i don't want...i just can't afford it!

pete in mn

Old 12-23-2006, 01:43 AM
Administrator

I too consider myself a type collector, unfortunatly prices in the current market are very limiting. Some of my favorite issues I cant touch without a 10 foot poll right now!

Old 12-23-2006, 03:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bruce Dorskind

"Quality never goes out of style"

Ralph Lauren

If anyone should seek my advice about collecting, I'd quickly point
out the old truth--buy only what you like. Measure a work
by the joy and satisfaction it will bring.

Malcolm S. Forbes

Old 12-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Preece1

If that is the case Leon, please call me so we can discuss the sale of you FBH Kelly

Old 12-23-2006, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RayB

Leon,
All vintage card purchases make me happy. (Thank you by the way; I got in the CJ and it looks sweet!)
Rather than branch out into too many sets in the future I'll use more of the "type" collector mentality. If I see something from a set I've never owned, I may buy it but it will stop there.
This will hopefully allow for me to follow my focus which continues to be "The Monster".
Happy Holidays.
RayB

Old 12-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

I've had a couple of folks tell me that my collection has no rhyme or reason. I think I'm OK with that assertion as I'm not a set collector, nor a type collector, I'm a "whim" collector. Presentation is what matters to me.

James

Old 12-29-2006, 12:32 PM
Administrator

James,

I like the idea of being a whim collector. Guys, don't take this hobby too seriously. In some ways I'm similar to you, I collect various ways. I collect by the star, Ruth, Gehrig, Mays etc. I also collect by the time period. There's my pre-war collection, vintage etc. Then I collect by the set.

I enjoy collecting this way. The only drawback is for stars like Walter Johnson and Christy Mathewson, I'll end up having triples of some of their cards. A T-206 for my star collection. One for my pre-war collection. And one for the set. It can get pretty expensive. But having triples of the Babe isn't that bad. Laugh out loud.

Peter

Old 12-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Administrator

I would like to ask one small favor. We are not a chatroom. Please don't put "laugh out loud" at the end of each response. If you continue you won't be banned or tar and feathered though. Your participation is appreciated and wanted but the chatroom inuendo's really don't add to your good reasoning. An occasional LOL is fine .....take care and happy holidays

ps...back to on topic.....as long as whatever you collect makes you happy then that's all that should matter...

Old 12-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Leon,

Teach me how to make a smiley face and I'll stay away from "laugh out loud." Thanks.

Peter

Old 12-29-2006, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Leon you said that no ACC cataloged pre war type card set has been completed as far as you know. Now i would think sets like D355 Niagra or M131 Newsboys would qualify as type sets, kinda being sets within a set. But what is the exact definition of a "type set." Would D304 or D310 be considered type sets? Can a card be a "type card" just because its from an obscure set or does it have to be some kind of off shoot of a set, like a rare back, or advertisement?

Old 12-29-2006, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Peter- skip a space, type in a : followed by a ) and when you put them together you get . If I can do it, anyone can.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Barry,

I'm almost there how do you put a:a) together.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Peter- leave out the "a". It's just colon parenthesis. I can't type it out because it will turn into a smiley face.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Barry,

Here's the deal my computer is just too old, I doubt if it's going to work but here goes . Thanks anyway, for the info.

Peter

Old 12-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Barry,

It did work, now how do you do a "high five."

Peter

Old 12-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Thanks for figuring out the smiley face. Much better. As for completing a type set it's not a set of similar cards, as in any "1" set. My goal is to get one baseball card from each set listed in the ACC before 1950. To the best of my knowledge its never been done. regards

Old 12-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Administrator

You got it Max taught me how to do the one with the blinking eye but that takes years of practice and you need to first take a course in computer theory (and I forgot what he told me. Something to do with a hyphen).

Old 12-29-2006, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

This thread just made me laugh out loud.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Dan,

It is not proper to use laugh out loud and together. Unless your laughing and rolling on the floor.

Peter

Old 12-29-2006, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Right on, Ive already started collecting like that and didnt know I was so specifically a type card collector

Old 12-29-2006, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Barry

Your introduction into the tekkie world of smiley faces has caused you to lose focus on the continuing misuse and abuse of "its" on the board--in the very preceding post. Its a heinous crime and this practice must be stopped

Max

Old 12-29-2006, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Uh oh Max ... I think both Leon's and Peter's use of it's was right.

It's = it is (or, rarely, it was)
Its = everything else

Right? I think that's right.

J

Old 12-29-2006, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Joanne

The use of the denoted my deliberately incorrect use of "its". Next time, my subtlety will be reinforced with a [sic]

Max

Old 12-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Max- you lost me on that one too, but I agree the whole board needs a refresher course on when to use "its" and "it's". Leon is still struggling with it, but Joann got it right.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Leon,

This is your fault you started this, now Barry will end up starting a thread on "Proper Grammar for the Internet." And thanks again for showing me how to do a smiley face.

Peter

Old 12-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

yes, but can you figure out the seldom used frown face? how about the wink?