NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-25-2006, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Default Advice Needed -- How can I avoid getting cheated?

Posted By: Paul

Someone on ebay with zero feedback has been offering from very nice cards from a particular set. I asked him if he has the one card that I'm looking for (which he hadn't yet posted on ebay), and he said he actually has two. He sent me scans. I've got no doubt the cards in the scan are real. But I'm real reluctant to send $500-$1,000 to someone I do not know. The scans could be stolen. Even if they're not, it could be a scam where the seller keeps my money and the card. I suppose the same risks exist with ebay transactions, but I think all of the cards I've purchased on ebay in this price range and higher have come from people I knew or people who had very high feedback numbers.

Are there any security measures that I can take in this situation? I'd love the card, but the zero feedback and eagerness to sell off ebay are warning signs to me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Unfortunately suspicious on Christmas eve,

Paul

Old 12-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Have you asked to speak with him on the phone or have you spoken with him? Most times I have seen this scare off scammers. Not always though, so you still have to be careful, of course. It's a good first step to ask.. and see the response ....

Old 12-25-2006, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Leon. He actually volunteered to speak to me, and I did. It left me with somewhat mixed feelings. And there's also my cardinal rule -- he can't spell.

Old 12-25-2006, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Does C.O.D. still exist, where the mailman or UPS or whoever won't hand the package over to me until I pay for it? Would I have a chance to open the package before forking over the cash?

Old 12-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Offer to pay for an escrow service.

Old 12-25-2006, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Sometimes you get lucky....

If it were a few hundred dollar item you could have him BIN it and have it payed by paypal.

Since it's a larger amount it's a bit risky. Some people just need a chance:

1) To take advantage of you.
2) To Build some credibility.

Old 12-25-2006, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

pay via paypal by credit card. you can always cancel the credit card payment if you dont get the item from the seller (go straight to the credit card company rather than through paypal's dispute process).

Old 12-25-2006, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Paul,

I would figure out how much it would cost to buy the extra protection Paypal offers (seems like it's really just insurance) and then ask him to come down that exact amount. That way you're covered if he screws you and if not, it didn't cost you any more than if you didn't have to buy the extra policy.

Unless he's a scammer, he should understand there's a legitimate credibility issue with such a lack of feedback and no hobby references.

-Ryan

Old 12-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. The seller has thought better of it and decided to put the card on ebay.

For future reference, are there any escrow services for non-ebay transactions?

Old 12-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffin's

I had a guy offer me a $1200. card I really needed but it seemed a bit odd. I just found someone on the board who lived nearby and offered him $50. to pick it up. All went smoothly.

Old 12-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt E.

Glad to help out a board member and I am vacation this week so it is not a big deal.

I will be be glad to get your card/s and mail them. Since I am there I might as well sit down with the seller and go thru all the other stuff he has not listed on Ebay. Probably some old T and E cards, what the heck maybe even a Cracker Jack or two.. Just kidding
Call me

Sent you an Email

Matt Engle
Turner Engle

Old 12-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick

The Postal Service stills offers COD, although it isn't used much since Paypal and credit cards became so popular. You have to pay the COD charge and sign for the package BEFORE you can open it. You may pay with cash, which is then converted to a money order and mailed to the sender, or you can write a check directly to the sender, but either way you cannot open the package until you have paid for it, and then it becomes your responsibility.

Rick