NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-25-2019, 09:10 AM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Mo was such a classy guy and the greatest closer ever but the fact that he was a failed starter, no way can I put him Top 10.
Stop with all the "failed starter" BS. He got all of 10 chances at the major league level. The very next year he was a full time reliever and finished 3rd in Cy Young Award voting as a relief pitcher despite only getting 5 saves. Once you have that type of success in the bullpen, you aren't going to be stretched back out to become a starter again the next season (except in rare situations).

I always think about how dominant John Smoltz was as a reliever in the early 2000s and thinking, why did Atlanta move him back to the starting rotation. But he was amazing there too. The best starters are often pitching at 85-90% at the beginning of a game and then they bring it up a notch when the going gets tough and then they start registering some ridiculous numbers on the radar gun, despite being fatigued. The reliever has to be 95-100% the entire time they are out there. It's impossible to adequately compare the two.

I'm in agreement with most. Greatest reliever of all time and probably top 20 pitcher of all time. His post-season stats are lights out and can't be ignored in the context of evaluating his entire career.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 01-25-2019, 09:12 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Stop with all the "failed starter" BS. He got all of 10 chances at the major league level. The very next year he was a full time reliever and finished 3rd in Cy Young Award voting as a relief pitcher despite only getting 5 saves. Once you have that type of success in the bullpen, you aren't going to be stretched back out to become a starter again the next season (except in rare situations).

I always think about how dominant John Smoltz was as a reliever in the early 2000s and thinking, why did Atlanta move him back to the starting rotation. But he was amazing there too. The best starters are often pitching at 85-90% at the beginning of a game and then they bring it up a notch when the going gets tough and then they start registering some ridiculous numbers on the radar gun, despite being fatigued. The reliever has to be 95-100% the entire time they are out there. It's impossible to adequately compare the two.

I'm in agreement with most. Greatest reliever of all time and probably top 20 pitcher of all time. His post-season stats are lights out and can't be ignored in the context of evaluating his entire career.
Well put.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:19 AM

Nothing bothers me more than this "failed" perspective. It's such BS and not even worth talking about. Lefty O'Doul hit 398 in 1929 as an outfielder after he "failed" as a pitcher. Does that discount hitting 398?

Give me a break.

Last edited by packs; 01-25-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:21 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Nothing bothers me more than this "failed" perspective. It's such BS and not even worth talking about. Lefty O'Doul hit 398 in 1929 as an outfielder after he "failed" as a pitcher. Does that discount hitting 398?

Give me a break.
Babe Ruth was a failed pitcher too. So bad he had to give it up.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:23 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Give me a break.
I would agree with you the numbers are not there to say anything about him as a starter. But that said, how do you explain his extremely low inherited runners number, why didn't the Yankees use him more in late inning crisis situations instead of almost exclusively as a guy to hold a lead in the 9th?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I would agree with you the numbers are not there to say anything about him as a starter. But that said, how do you explain his extremely low inherited runners number, why didn't the Yankees use him more in late inning crisis situations instead of almost exclusively as a guy to hold a lead in the 9th?
Are you serious? Have you not even looked at his post-season numbers? Are you really suggesting the Yankees didn't have enough faith in his abilities to use him in high leverage situations?
Old 01-25-2019, 09:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Are you serious? Have you not even looked at his post-season numbers? Are you really suggesting the Yankees didn't have enough faith in his abilities to use him in high leverage situations?
Again, how do you explain his inherited runners statistic? I wasn't suggesting anything, I asked a question.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Again, how do you explain his inherited runners statistic? I wasn't suggesting anything, I asked a question.
What other explanation can there be other than that was what happened during the game? I don't even know what you're asking. It's like saying why was the sun out that afternoon.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:51 AM
Bob.T*th

As I stated earlier, I lost interest in modern baseball during the steroid era but I was wondering if anyone invented a statistic yet that showed how great you were compared to your salary? I’m all for anybody making as much money as they legally can but if some guy walked into my office and said “I want 12 million per year and I’m 90% sure I can give you two or three solid innings per week” , i’d do my best Hue Jackson impersonation and tell him “get the **** out of my office”
Old 01-25-2019, 10:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
What other explanation can there be other than that was what happened during the game? I don't even know what you're asking. It's like saying why was the sun out that afternoon.
No, the stat obviously reflects that he was not brought into a lot of situations with men on base, and I am curious why the Yankees chose not to do that. To me the highest and best use of a great reliever would be to pitch out of a jam, not just preserve a lead.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-25-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:35 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothrk View Post
As I stated earlier, I lost interest in modern baseball during the steroid era but I was wondering if anyone invented a statistic yet that showed how great you were compared to your salary? I’m all for anybody making as much money as they legally can but if some guy walked into my office and said “I want 12 million per year and I’m 90% sure I can give you two or three solid innings per week” , i’d do my best Hue Jackson impersonation and tell him “get the **** out of my office”
But they're two solid NINTH innings LOL.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...trevor-hoffman

Old 01-25-2019, 10:48 AM
Bob.T*th

Default I stand corrected

Quote:
But they're two solid NINTH innings LOL.
You’re right!!! I should have offered fifty or sixty million!! I can’t wait until he walks across water to reach the podium at the hall of fame. When he telepathically relays his acceptance speech straight into the brains of us mere mortals, it will make the special wing they’re building just for Him all worth it.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:51 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothrk View Post
You’re right!!! I should have offered fifty or sixty million!! I can’t wait until he walks across water to reach the podium at the hall of fame. When he telepathically relays his acceptance speech straight into the brains of us mere mortals, it will make the special wing they’re building just for Him all worth it.
Someone else will have to deliver the first 8 minutes of the speech.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:56 AM
Bob.T*th

Default Hall of fame for posts

Quote:
We should have a hall of fame for posts. This should be in it.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:57 AM
Rich

Quote:
Doesn't matter. The ninth minute of the speech is the only one that matters.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:59 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
That's why the writers voted for Mussina.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:02 AM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Hoffman wasn’t that good. He was a failed SS.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 01-25-2019, 11:04 AM
Bob.T*th

Default Word limt

I’ve been told they’re putting Rivera on a word limit just like a pitch count. After14 words, he’s done for the day. Don’t worry, he’ll be back three days later to finish up.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:06 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Nevermind

Last edited by Paul S; 01-25-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

As of 2011:
Since 1997, Rivera has inherited 323 runners, which is an average of 23 over a 162-game season. Ninety-four of the 323 inherited runners scored.

Does anyone know how that percentage compares to relievers other than Hoffman, who is mentioned in the article as being 9 percent better in that category?

Old 01-25-2019, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:

Give me a break.
No, but if he was asked to bunt all of the time would he be the best hitter ever if he could get on .300 percent of the time? Heck, raise that to say .400 career lifetime of bunting everything and he has the highest batting average of any player in history.

No, he would be the best bunter and maybe not even that, and he would have been a "failed" pitcher on top of that.

Last edited by MichelaiTorres83; 01-25-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelaiTorres83 View Post
No, but if he was asked to bunt all of the time would he be the best hitter ever if he could get on .300 percent of the time? Heck, raise that to say .400 career lifetime of bunting everything and he has the highest batting average of any player in history.

No, he would be the best bunter and maybe not even that, and he would have been a "failed" pitcher on top of that.
Well, I'm sure old Lefty felt like a real failure at anything after he hit 398. Probably felt even worse when he led the league in hitting again in 1932 when he only hit 368. If only he had been a good starting pitcher, the rest of his career would have meant something.

Last edited by packs; 01-25-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:27 PM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Mariano has the 2nd most blown saves in postseason history...
Old 01-25-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
Mariano has the 2nd most blown saves in postseason history...
And Connie Mack lost almost 4,000 games. What's he doing in the HOF right?
Old 01-25-2019, 01:52 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
And Connie Mack lost almost 4,000 games. What's he doing in the HOF right?
Him or that all time walk hander-outer, Nolan Ryan. Let's break into Cooperstown with a crowbar and get those plaques off the wall...

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-25-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Not the point. The point is Yankee fans tend to deify Rivera and speak of him as though he was "unhittable," infallible, automatic (made all games 8 inning games), etc. As though he was on a completely different level from all other closers. He wasn't. He was a great closer, no question, the best ever, but he also blew a lot of saves, allowed a fairly high percentage of inherited runners to score, and so forth. and given the inherent limitations of a closer, nowhere near top 10 or 20 all time IMO.

And sure, if given a lead and an overwhelming majority of his appearances started with a lead and the bases empty, he very likely would preserve that lead. But as we have seen, that is true for closers in general statistically. Again, yes he was the best of them, but not IMO by such a margin that he should be deified.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-25-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:07 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
If you choose to look at it this way then you are going to have to ask more than 400 people why they were "stupid." The answer would be at a high level someone either gets into the HOF or doesn't and that is the yardstick, not ballots or votes. But instead we are human and have to take it degrees further than that. Player X is better than player Y because they were first ballot and not second, or received 95.3 percent of the vote instead of 89.2. Speaking of stupid...where do we draw the line? To insist that a player's vote demographics always precisely reflects how "great" they were or were not on the field is a bit of an unreasonable ask. What goes into the vote often has nothing to do with that, and this has been true virtually since time immemorial. I'm over it.
So please explain how a relief pitcher with a career record of 82-60 gets 100% of the vote, but guys like Ruth, Cobb, Wagner, T. Williams, Joe D., Mantle, Mathewson, Johnson, Hornsby dont....Doesn't even make sense......Let me go one step further....What about Nolan Ryan? He played on shitty teams most of his career....Mariano was on the best teams money can buy....Guys this discussion is a joke....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 01-25-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:18 PM
Pete Sycks

Greatest closer of all time. Not a top 10 pitcher of all time.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 01-26-2019, 02:16 AM
Rob

From my experience, if you go to the non-sport board and start a poll "Who is Mariano Rivera?" They don't know. They've never heard of 'im. He's a local celeb like Joe Mauer.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
From my experience, if you go to the non-sport board and start a poll "Who is Mariano Rivera?" They don't know. They've never heard of 'im. He's a local celeb like Joe Mauer.
I thought he was a painter until I read this thread. Baseball. Who could have seen that one coming?

Last edited by MichelaiTorres83; 01-26-2019 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:23 AM
GaryPassamonte

Here's an interesting analysis of closers.

https://dizzydeane.wordpress.com/201...ated-position/
Old 01-26-2019, 07:50 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
Here's an interesting analysis of closers.

https://dizzydeane.wordpress.com/201...ated-position/
Great article, but really it's not that involved. If you like WAR look at WAR for an elite reliever. it's about 1/3 to 1/4 the WAR of a great Starter or position player. Pretty simple.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-26-2019, 07:57 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
I mentioned the ongoing Mariano debate here to an old friend via email yesterday.

His response

“Wasn’t he one of the three tenors?”

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:02 AM
GaryPassamonte

Scott- Beyond the metrics, I found it interesting that closers turned starters had no success. How many highly successful starters become closers? Closers are generally high velocity or one pitch specialists that have shown difficulty being successful when pitching a number of innings in one game. Otherwise, they would be starters.

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 01-26-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:08 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Scott- Beyond the metrics, I found it interesting that closers turned starters had no success. How many highly successful starters become closers? Closers are generally high velocity or one pitch specialists that have shown difficulty being successful when pitching a number of innings in one game. Otherwise, they would be starters.
Stats ERA G IP HR BB SO WHIP SO/9 SO/BB
as Starter 5.94 10 50.0 8 20 38 1.680 6.8 1.90

He also didn't even make the majors until he was 25, so FAR from an elite starting prospect.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 01-26-2019, 08:12 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I mentioned the ongoing Mariano debate here to an old friend via email yesterday.

His response

“Wasn’t he one of the three tenors?”
You clearly hang with culturally astute folks.
Then again, if one of them got tired at the end of a concert....

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-26-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:27 AM
GaryPassamonte

Scott- I wasn't speaking specifically about Rivera's numbers as a starter, but he sure was converted from starter to reliever quickly. At the time, I would think that conversion had more to do with his future prospects as a starter than his future prospects as a closer. He didn't exactly shine as a starter. I know this is a small sample size, but it backs up what I've said.
I do believe Rivera is the best closer of all time. I just don't believe the best pitchers in baseball are converted to closers. They remain starters.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:31 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
You clearly hang with culturally astute folks.
Then again, if one of them got tired at the end of a concert....
After an exhaustive check, I can assure you that the three tenors never closed a concert or concert this way

“Mr Sandman, bring me a dream
Make him the cutest that I’ve ever seen
Give him two lips like roses and clover
Then tell him his lonesome nights are over.”

But the Chordettes did.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:48 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Scott- I wasn't speaking specifically about Rivera's numbers as a starter, but he sure was converted from starter to reliever quickly. At the time, I would think that conversion had more to do with his future prospects as a starter than his future prospects as a closer. He didn't exactly shine as a starter. I know this is a small sample size, but it backs up what I've said.
I do believe Rivera is the best closer of all time. I just don't believe the best pitchers in baseball are converted to closers. They remain starters.
I posted that in support of your point. I agree with you.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:49 AM
GaryPassamonte

I get it, Scott.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:15 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Stats ERA G IP HR BB SO WHIP SO/9 SO/BB
as Starter 5.94 10 50.0 8 20 38 1.680 6.8 1.90

He also didn't even make the majors until he was 25, so FAR from an elite starting prospect.

For the first six years of Koufax’s career (six years, HALF OF HIS CAREER) his average year was 6-7, ERA-4.10, WHIP-1.428, “so FAR from an elite starting prospect”. At that point he wasn’t even good enough to turn into a closer. Maybe you should focus on the totality of Mariano’s work.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:54 AM
sfh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
For the first six years of Koufax’s career (six years, HALF OF HIS CAREER) his average year was 6-7, ERA-4.10, WHIP-1.428, “so FAR from an elite starting prospect”. At that point he wasn’t even good enough to turn into a closer. Maybe you should focus on the totality of Mariano’s work.
Agreed, the 'totality" of Mariano's work gets him in the HOF with today's game. He is not in the top 40 greatest pitchers.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:39 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Glad to see that we all agree now about Mariano.

Maybe we should move on now.

I’ll present the

Hall of Fame case in support of Bennie Bengough

1. He sat on the same bench with Babe Ruth.

2. He is the #1 Card in his most popular contemporary baseball card set.

3. He played for the New York Yankees.

4. Several people who live close to the Hudson River consider him the best catcher of all time.

The Veterans Committee really dropped the ball on this one.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 01-28-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:29 AM
Bill Gregory

Let me ask you all this. You have a great pitching prospect. What would you rather have him turn out to be:

1.) A dominant starter.

2.) A dominant closer.

Calling Rivera a "failed starter" might be a tad misleading if he only got a small amount of starts at the Major League level. But I ask myself, "why?" Did the Yankees have such a dominant starting rotation that they could afford to put Rivera in the bullpen?

If he's one of the greatest pitchers ever, wouldn't he be more valuable to the Yankees as a starter? You know he's going to get the ball 32+ times a year. A closer, you have no guarantee he'll even pitch. If the rotation and/or middle relievers are not doing well, Mariano is sitting in the pen watching the game.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Let me ask you all this. You have a great pitching prospect. What would you rather have him turn out to be:

1.) A dominant starter.

2.) A dominant closer.

Calling Rivera a "failed starter" might be a tad misleading if he only got a small amount of starts at the Major League level. But I ask myself, "why?" Did the Yankees have such a dominant starting rotation that they could afford to put Rivera in the bullpen?

If he's one of the greatest pitchers ever, wouldn't he be more valuable to the Yankees as a starter? You know he's going to get the ball 32+ times a year. A closer, you have no guarantee he'll even pitch. If the rotation and/or middle relievers are not doing well, Mariano is sitting in the pen watching the game.

This is clearly not accurate because as we've seen since Rivera, plenty of teams have hemmed and hawed over what to do: Joba Chamberlain comes to mind, as does the Yankees current closer Aroldis Chapman.

They were even talking about this debate when David Price came up.