NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Steven Finley

Default Now that this ended.

I considered going after this piece, but I decided against it and spent the cash on cards instead.

So now.

What is it?

What is its worth relative to the ending price?

Was the Bridges picture just placed upon the game or did he actually sponsor it?

And if it was Bridges sponsored...Does anyone else have a similar one?

Thanks
Steven Finley
Old 11-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Steven Finley

Ha..
Might help if I offered the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 11-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Joe Jesselli

Sure, it was endorsed by Bridges. It's from the mid-1930s, is scare, and tough to find in good condition as it's litho paper pasted on a back surface, which, I think, is wood. I got my copy a while ago (God knows where it is!) and paid around the same price for an example in lesser condition. To a baseball game collector, the eBay selling price would be a very good buy.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Joe M.

It looks to me like the picture was glued to the board game. Something like this game board with Cobb's picture. I should check my baseball games book.

Just checked Baseball Games book by Mark Cooper and there it is on page 57. So, my initial info was wrong. He lists the retail price in excellent condition as $600.00 - $1000,00 which sound high.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baseballall191.jpg (49.7 KB, 331 views)

Last edited by jcmtiger; 11-02-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: revised information
Old 11-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Steven Finley

Anyone have a clue how the game is played?
Old 11-04-2009, 02:10 AM

Hi Steven -- The Pitcher's Battle, made around 1935 by R. G. Kollmorgen, is a basic bagatelle/pinball game. The plunger/shooter that launches the ball is at the lower right. Bridges' picture is part of the original graphics, unlike the Cobb photo on the Peg Base Ball shown in jcmtiger Joe's post, which was presumably pasted on there by some youthful previous owner of that game.

The Cooper catalogue is indispensible for collectors of baseball games, but the prices listed in the price guide there are, with few exceptions, enormously and unrealistically high. An example of The Pitcher's Battle shows up in on-line auctions about every year and a half or so, averaging around $260. in nice shape. One did fetch a bit over $550. on eBay not quite two years ago, the only time we've seen it top $300., but Joseph is correct, the $150.+ on eBay a few days ago was a bargain for the buyer.

There's an alternate version of The Pitcher's Battle -- The Professional Player, made a few years earlier or later by H. C. Guetschoff. It features a portrait illustration of a snarling tiger (the large cat, not a Detroit ballplayer) where Bridges appears on The Pitcher's Battle, but the two games are otherwise almost identical. Kollmorgen's nephew visited our own Forum some time ago to talk about his uncle and the game.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 11-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Steven Finley

Thanks for all the info guys.