NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-14-2012, 09:05 AM

Default Has (most) everything good been graded

I am thinking that 80-90+ percent of all good cards have already been graded by either PSA or SGC. Sure there is the old grandad collection that the relatives just discovered. Or a tiny minority of real collectors refuse to get into grading and keep raw. But that is the exception rather than the rule.

How many PSA 5 or higher T206 Cobb's still sit ungraded, or how many 1933 Ruth's or Gehrig's have yet to make their way into an SGC holder. Or even 1950-60's Hank Aaron cards in PSA 8 or equivalent not yet graded?

You really think one can attend the National or any other large show and pick up rock solid untampered with major vintage HOF'ers ungraded? Really? Or spot that diamond in the rough on ebay that hasn't been trimmed or other?

I just got back from PCGS (coin folks) a submission of early Buffalo nickels - same thing goes for coins. You really think you can steal a deal of a grade suitable key date 1926-S or 1921-S Buffalo nickel? Most coin forums/blogs think fat chance. I did get back a 1915-S Buff in XF40 that is awesome coin, got lucky, but i have to admit several other key dates I submitted came back body bagged with various flaws.

Lesson learned: This day in age, don't even think about it (card/coin) unless it is already graded by reputable third party grader. The odds that you spotted something special raw are worse than any odds in Las Vegas.

Bummer, but true, yes?
Old 06-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Mark Fox

I think 80-90 percent is a high number over all. I do think that when a lot of people think about putting a card up on the market, they're more apt to have it graded first as opposed to selling it raw especially if they're not comfortable with their own ability to grade a card. But there is a very large segment of the hobby that do not like graded cards, will not deal in graded cards or will crack the graded cards out and keep them raw.

After attending the sports card show in Pittsburgh just last month, I can tell you that the raw and ungraded market is very much alive and well in the hobby and I think it's a great thing. From the Pittsburgh show I would venture a guess that perhaps the split is closer to 50-50 for prewar issues. The sets I'm currently collecting T205, 1934 Goudey and 1948 Leaf, raw cards dominated and outnumbered graded examples.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
I think 80-90 percent is a high number over all. I do think that when a lot of people think about putting a card up on the market, they're more apt to have it graded first as opposed to selling it raw especially if they're not comfortable with their own ability to grade a card. But there is a very large segment of the hobby that do not like graded cards, will not deal in graded cards or will crack the graded cards out and keep them raw.

After attending the sports card show in Pittsburgh just last month, I can tell you that the raw and ungraded market is very much alive and well in the hobby and I think it's a great thing. From the Pittsburgh show I would venture a guess that perhaps the split is closer to 50-50 for prewar issues. The sets I'm currently collecting T205, 1934 Goudey and 1948 Leaf, raw cards dominated and outnumbered graded examples.

i agree, there is a number of nice ungraded cards out there.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:38 AM

Default Hmmm.

I scoured ebay this morning looking for mid/high grade vintage major HOF'ers raw - not one single raw card I would consider purchasing that I honestly felt, yes, this is a very nice untampered with grade worthy card of Matty, W.Johnson, Cobb, Ruth, few others.

Maybe you guys on east coast have more shows with honest dealers in raw cards, not where I live, and certainly not on ebay.

Also look at major auction catalogs - Goodwin, REA, nothing for sale raw in higher grade.

Possibly yes for lower grades 1 thru 4, but higher grades no.

If you were to take total of all PSA 5 or higher Red T206 Cobb's, multiply that by, say, 5-10, then there would be hundreds in nice grade still raw? Come on.

Remember, we are not talking commons, wee are not talking low grades, we are talking high grade upper tier HOF'ers.

Right now, an average year Hank Aaron PSA 8 has population little over 200. So you are saying that in a decade or so we may see a 1963 Aaron PSA 8 with population upwards of 800-1000? Again, come on.

Last edited by Touch'EmAll; 06-14-2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: add
Old 06-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
I scoured ebay this morning looking for mid/high grade vintage major HOF'ers raw - not one single raw card I would consider purchasing that I honestly felt, yes, this is a very nice untampered with grade worthy card of Matty, W.Johnson, Cobb, Ruth, few others.

Maybe you guys on east coast have more shows with honest dealers in raw cards, not where I live, and certainly not on ebay.

Also look at major auction catalogs - Goodwin, REA, nothing for sale raw in higher grade.

Possibly yes for lower grades 1 thru 4, but higher grades no.

If you were to take total of all PSA 5 or higher Red T206 Cobb's, multiply that by, say, 5-10, then there would be hundreds in nice grade still raw? Come on.

Remember, we are not talking commons, wee are not talking low grades, we are talking high grade upper tier HOF'ers.

there are millions of cards out there, and waaaay less than .1% on ebay. most nice cards are in peoples attics or collections, and not up for sale. when people want to put them up for sale, then they have them graded and slabbed, but there are a lot ungraded and unslabbed in nice condition because they are in a collection with someone who is not considering selling at this time. Lots of people with unfiinished sets who will probably only get them graded after they are finished and consider selling, not before. just my opinion.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Eric Bea.chley

For pre-war, I would say around 30%. If someone had a collection 10 years ago, it would not have been graded. If they still have that collection and aren't considering selling it anytime soon, then it's still not graded. I don't think it's unreasonable for collections to remain 'hidden' for 30 years or more.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:37 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
there are millions of cards out there, and waaaay less than .1% on ebay. most nice cards are in peoples attics or collections, and not up for sale.

Beacause there are huge finds every week...again COME ON There might be a handful of Nagy's or Lionel Carter type collectors, but certainly not more than 5-10. When was the last big find of anything pre 1952? Go to a card show, there are hardly any nice raw pre-war cards, maybe at the nationa lthings are different, but I would say 50% of everything is graded, and 90% of people know what they have, or think it is worth much more than it is

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
there are millions of cards out there, and waaaay less than .1% on ebay. most nice cards are in peoples attics or collections, and not up for sale. when people want to put them up for sale, then they have them graded and slabbed, but there are a lot ungraded and unslabbed in nice condition because they are in a collection with someone who is not considering selling at this time. Lots of people with unfiinished sets who will probably only get them graded after they are finished and consider selling, not before. just my opinion.
+1

Dead on. Just because a high percentage of cards for sale have been graded, does not translate to the universe of cards in existance.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:31 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Aloha,I think that the vast majority of pre wwII cards have NOT been graded. Of course there is no way to know for sure but my guess is maybe only 10% are graded. I havent been to a card show for many many years but those who go to a lot of them probably see 100 t-206s for every graded one. jmho. dave