NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-12-2011, 09:24 PM

Default O/T - All Star game

So whats up? Some knucklehead decision to keep last Sunday's pitchers out of the All Star game ?!?!

The American League gets the bum deal with both Verlander and Felix out because they pitched last Sunday.

Huge edge for the N.L.

And... the fans loose also. I didn't realize this hairbrained rule and was relishing watching last years Cy Young winner, and this dude who has now pitched 2 no-hitters.

Way big bummer. Not happy. At all !
Old 07-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Doug Goodman

Just another reason why an exhibition game shouldn't have an effect on the World Series.

And I'm an NL guy,
Doug
Old 07-13-2011, 07:19 AM
Brian Macdonald

The Onions view of the All Star game

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/ar...between,20923/
Old 07-13-2011, 07:42 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Best, coolest sporting event I ever went to was an all star game (1989). I could care less about the world series thing one way or the other.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:13 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

First off, congrats to the NL. Now, here’s my rant. Douche bags like Brian Wilson and Prince Fielder are what’s wrong with baseball today. If Wilson wants to look like an Al Qaeda terrorist, he should be treated like one. If Fielder wants to cover his body in tattoos, put him in prison like the thug he is.

Please don’t give me this crap about them just expressing themselves or marching to the beat of their own drum. That’s BS! They have absolutely no respect for the game or the history of the game. You would have never seen Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Musial, etc with a mohawk and/or scraggly beard and tattoos all over their body.

And what’s up with Wilson flashing gang signs after his save? I’ve got a hand sign for Wilson and I only have to use one finger. If you’re a Giants of Brewers fan, you should be ashamed of these two idiots. They should be removed them from the gene pool.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 07-13-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:50 AM
Tony Quinn

Default Ummmmm......

WOW! (see previous post)
Old 07-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
First off, congrats to the NL. Now, here’s my rant. Douche bags like Brian Wilson and Prince Fielder are what’s wrong with baseball today. If Wilson wants to look like an Al Qaeda terrorist, he should be treated like one. If Fielder wants to cover his body in tattoos, put him in prison like the thug he is.

Please don’t give me this crap about them just expressing themselves or marching to the beat of their own drum. That’s BS! They have absolutely no respect for the game or the history of the game. You would have never seen Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Musial, etc with a mohawk and/or scraggly beard and tattoos all over their body.

And what’s up with Wilson flashing gang signs after his save? I’ve got a hand sign for Wilson and I only have to use one finger. If you’re a Giants of Brewers fan, you should be ashamed of these two idiots. They should be removed them from the gene pool.
Loved your post, David--you sound like me when I'm at my most cantankerous best! Times have just changed quite a bit from when we grew up, I guess. The game started to become much more about "me, me, me" to the players with the advent of free agency, and the fans, without whom there is no commercial enterprise or professional sports at all, were in large part left behind, with little to nothing to say as to how players were to conduct themselves on the field. Personally I don't mind their demonstrations of individuality as much as I used to. I'd love to have Jose Reyes or Andrew McCutcheon for our Detroit Tigers, simply because these guys can really play. My wife almost fainted when I told her I really liked their dread locks!

I do agree with Brian that if I'm pitching and some hip, homerun hitting dude styled his way around the bases after hitting one off me, he'd better enjoy it just that one time, and be real loose the next time he came to bat. He'd also better expect to hit the dirt, because he would definitely be going down! The hitter has every right to conduct his own celebration, and the pitcher the right and means to insist on being treated in a respectful manner. Oftentimes who wins these confrontations comes down to matchups. I never saw Bob Gibson, tough as he was, throw at Willie Horton, though the latter would dig quite a foothold in the batters box during the '68 World Series. Horton had fought in the golden glooves when he was just 15, and earlier in his career Earl Wilson(all 6'3'' and 220+ lbs of him), then with the Red Sox threw at him in an attempt to move him off the plate. Horton walked halfway out to the mound and told Wilson, "Man, you can be moved just like a mountain," meaning broken up into little pieces and carried off. Horton had no further trouble with Wilson after that.

All the best,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 07-15-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
Best, coolest sporting event I ever went to was an all star game (1989). I could care less about the world series thing one way or the other.
I was at the same game. When Bo hit the bomb off of Reuschel to lead off the game the place went crazy!
Old 07-13-2011, 09:59 AM

Default I too really liked the '89 All Star game

bbcard1 and dwr11, Yes, the 1989 All Star game was epic:

Bo Jackson, Bo Jackson, Bo Jackson. Lead off HR in first brought all fans off their seats.......then......."THE" throw - from the warning track all the way to the plate, on the fly, for a perfect strike to nab the runner at home, awesome, best throw I have ever seen!

Also, yes, the Brian Wilson thing is already old - get real dude, loose the idiot look.

The Angels young reliever did get clocked at 100 mph, gave up a hit though. And NL starter Halladay was quite impressive.