NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-29-2023, 05:30 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default Info on T227, Series of Champions cards (hey Don!)

Good morning all

I wondered if collectors can fill me in a bit on a set that I am not that familiar with - I was at a local show yesterday and saw (and almost bought) a great looking card of Home Run Baker called Series of Champions (set T227).

I wish I had pulled the trigger but I do like to know a bit about the set, availability, value, etc before purchasing.

The Baker is a great looking card! Love the slightly oversized size, his pillbox hat and the big follow through pose.

Can any experienced T227 collectors fill me in a bit on what they know about the cards?

Thx!

Jeff
Old 04-29-2023, 06:08 AM
P.aul Orl,in

Great set of cards from 1911. 24 cards in the set from multiple sports (checklists available online) with four baseball, Cobb, Baker, Bender and Marquard. Set was indicated as having 25 cards but 25th never issued as far as we know(no example ever found). Two cards are quite difficult to find, CP Rodgers and Bruce Brown, each of which died around the time the set was produced with the theory that production was stopped. Boxer Jack Johnson is another key card.

Cards were large sized and issued in soft tobacco pouches, I believe, and are thus rarely found in top condition.

There are complete sets around in collectors hands. The baseball cards are not plentiful but do come up for auction and sale fairly regularly. The cards can be “Honest Long Cut” or “Miners Extra” backs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg ECA3837C-155D-4209-9B85-14AC99104E98.jpeg (112.9 KB, 244 views)
Old 04-29-2023, 03:46 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Brown is a real pain to find. Rodgers is really tough, but seems to exist in greater quantity. I have not seen either with a Miners Extra back and suspect they do not suspect.

It is said they were pulled from production because of their deaths; but this does not appear to stand up to inquiry. Rodgers mentions his death on the back, it was clearly designed after his death was known to the makers and thus makes little sense that they pulled it because of his sudden death - this was known before it was designed, much less issued. The cards of Rodgers and Brown, reading the text of all the backs, mention dates far after the back texts end for the other 22 known subjects. They may have been a later addition not pulled or intended to be SP'd; some T sets have evidence of wave printing within a series and this may reflect that, with SP's resulting because T227 was among the last of the sets as the ATC breakup and redistribution of brands was killing off the lithography partnership here.

If there was a 25th subject actually printed, it has never surfaced publicly.

Miners backs are tougher than HLC, but they are not difficult and readily available for the 22 commons.

Honest Long Cut appears to have 2 back types, a dark black ink and one with a purpley tint. This appears to be a genuine variation from production, albeit one nobody cares about at all.

The Johnson now seems to outsell the non-Cobb baseball players in low grade condition. It gained a lot of value in the Covid runup and after his presidential pardon.

Outside of the baseball players and Jack Johnson, the rest of the non-SP'd cards are all fairly cheap (under $150 in lower grade). Abe Attell is probably the next biggest card, and of interest to some baseball collectors since he helped fix the World Series and was by some accounts the point man of the operation.

They are usually found in low grade as puckpaul said; because many of the cards have a crease at the bottom that seems to come from how some were made to fit into the packaging. This distinctive crease in the same spot is present on a high percentage of examples.

Last edited by G1911; 04-29-2023 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-30-2023, 02:17 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Here's a previous thread on the set:

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...ht=t227+wagner

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 04-30-2023, 05:33 AM
Jeremy

Memory Lane has a really nice Cobb up for auction this week.

I was at the show yesterday too, and bought a 1915 CJ Grover Cleveland Alexander PSA 4 from Don. Thanks!
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars
Old 04-30-2023, 06:05 PM
Ton.y Be.ll

T227 is a fun set to collect!!
The cards are large in size and the keys to the set are Cobb, Johnson, Baker, Bender and Marquard. Attell is also a notable one. The rest are boxers, golfers, pool players, racers, runners, swimmers, throwers and wrestlers.

~2 out of 3 (66.74%) are graded PSA 1-2 and the cards are easily distinguishable by the different creases on the individual cards so it is easy to tell if a card has been crossed over

de Oro has the fewest graded cards outside of Brown and Rodgers

SGC distinguishes between the Honest Long Cut v Miner Extra backs on the flips
PSA simply lists T227 Series of Champ. so you would have to look at the actual backs to see the brand

Collecting:
1909-1911 T206 Southern Leaguers (Alabama)
1914 Cracker Jack Set (91 out of 145)
Old 05-04-2023, 05:43 PM
Cliff

Default Rodgers

Great Set! here is one of the toughies... C.P. Rodgers, lists his death on the back of the card.

I've only seen and Honest Long Cut back with this subject, anyone seen a Rodgers with a Miners Extra back?

Thanks!

front.jpg

back.jpg
T206 Back Set - 37/38
T227 Series of Champions Master Set 45/48
1948 Bowman - Baseball & Football (upgrading)