NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

View Poll Results: Is Davis “crushing” HRS WITHOUT performance enhancement drugs?
YES, SQUEAKY CLEAN. 36 57.14%
NO, SOMETHING STINKS. 27 42.86%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Chris davis- clean or not clean, that is the question.

With Chris "Crush" Davis going HR crazy and his memorabilia prices on the rise, I am curious to know what people think of him. Is he innocent until proven guilty regarding some sort of enhancement(outside of law)? Is it too good to be true based on all the times we have been let down? (i.e. Bonds, Mcgwire, Canseco, Sosa, Clemens*, Pettitte, Giambi, Palmeiro, Braun, Rodriguez, Alzado, Marion Jones, Lance Armstrong, Gay blah blah blah ect ect ect..).

If there was a Honus Wagner t206 card, a pristine 1927 Yankees team signed ball and your choice of any other memorabilia item on the line, what would you chose? Forget innocent until proven guilty for a second…

If the answer was known and you had to guess correctly in order to achieve these great items, what would you guess? Do you think Davis’ run is legit? Please vote anonymously and comment if you wish.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 07-15-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:56 PM

Rumor has it that he has received a male enhancement...
Old 07-15-2013, 02:02 PM
N@te

No, I think he's clean. That being said, I've seen the guy first hand on on several occasions and in my opinion he's really nothing special. I'm glad to see him have a good year, but lets face it, he won't duplicate it in the second half of the season.

As for his memorabilia, I wouldn't touch it! It will go down, down, down...

Now, this is just my opinion.

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 07-15-2013, 02:11 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I have no reason to think he isn't clean any more than I have a reason to think Jackson wasn't in 1969 (Same amount of home runs going into the AS Break) or Maris was when he hit 61 out of par for the rest of his career. You listed a lot of people that did things enhanced them, but there are still plenty of people that have come out clean. He very well could be using enhancers, but the game would be no fun if I assumed the worse of everyone.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:37 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

not clean...just ahead of the testing game
Old 07-15-2013, 04:02 PM

The guy was considered an elite prospect with unlimited potential when he was with the Rangers. He washed out and looked like another failed prospect like Brandon Wood. I think he's just playing to his potential now. This is the player Texas thought he was and gave up on.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
The guy was considered an elite prospect with unlimited potential when he was with the Rangers. He washed out and looked like another failed prospect like Brandon Wood. I think he's just playing to his potential now. This is the player Texas thought he was and gave up on.
I understand he had good power, but a player doesn't improve every aspect of their game in less than a year.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:35 PM
N@te

He's always had pretty good power. I think he's finally putting it together now.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Jeff

It's hard not be a doubter with the players having shown their propensity to cheat. But with that said gonna give him the benefit of the doubt even though it is tough. Won't be surprised however. This is what the game has turned into.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 07-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I don't keep up with MLB but did see an interview with this guy. I think he's real.....not memorex. I could be wrong but hope not..
Old 07-15-2013, 05:59 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I really can't say. With all the testing its hard to believe guys still cheat but they do. His numbers have jumped alot in one year. What about Jose Bautista? Another guy whose numbers went way up. If he stays healthy for a year he could approach a record. It's all so hazy anymore. Maybe there is a new drug they don't test for? Hard to say either way. I wanna believe but...

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears

Last edited by mcgwirecom; 07-15-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:01 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Honestly if this Arod, Braun etc stuff is true and suspensions are coming I think it should be obvious to everyone that players don't care what the possible penalties are they are going to cheat. Given that I think the only thing left to do is to not have any banned substances since policing clearly won't eliminate the scourge. Allow it all,take PEDS at your own peril. Lets see an 800 foot home run, let's see players with size 11 heads, allowing everything is the only way to at least try to keep things on an even playing field because the way it is now SUX.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:11 PM

You want to see PED use end? here is what you do.

First offense, a one year ban and the players' contract terminated. When and if they return, they get paid the ML minimum the first year with no bonuses of any kind.

Second offense, permanent ban from the game. No HOF eligibility, not able to work as a coach, manager or in any capacity in the game.

If players are cheating to get extra money or to prolong their careers then taking those options and incentives away will remove most of the need to cheat.

David
Old 07-15-2013, 08:51 PM

He had a pretty solid year last year. He's 27 its the typical peak year. I think he's for real but I don't think he hits 62.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:15 PM
Dan Bretta

I no longer give professional athletes the benefit of the doubt. Whenever something out of the norm happens I just assume PED's. Sucks for Davis if he is indeed clean, but the rampant use of drugs in sports has ruined any trust I have for record breakers.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I no longer give professional athletes the benefit of the doubt. Whenever something out of the norm happens I just assume PED's. Sucks for Davis if he is indeed clean, but the rampant use of drugs in sports has ruined any trust I have for record breakers.
That is the damage done by a generation of drug cheats. Punish the team and not the player and you will see results. Last year Melky Cabrera played 113 games prior to testing positive for performance enhancing substances. During that time he was an MVP candidate. When MLB suspended him 50 games, he released the following statement.

"My positive test was the result of my use of a substance I should not have used," Cabrera said in a statement released by the union. "I accept my suspension under the Joint Drug Program and I will try to move on with my life. I am deeply sorry for my mistake and I apologize to my teammates, to the San Francisco Giants organization and to the fans for letting them down."

His team mates obviously accepted his apology because they voted him a full share of their World Series winners bonus. In doing so they acknowledge the value of his tainted contributions to their success as a team and organization.

In track and field if one member of a relay team tests positive for performance enhancing substances every member of the team forfeits their medals. If baseball operated in the same manner the Giants would have forfeited all 113 games Cabrera appeared in. This would have meant no World Series for the Giants organization. Cabrera should have remained on the active roster and taken the field everyday. He would have been a pariah in the locker room, destroyed by the media, and abused by the fans everyday. His use was evidence of his self centered make up. If they made him face the music everyday it would send a very clear message to every other potential cheater. If you think Fred Merkle and Steve Bartman were ostracized can you imagine how history would have remembered the Melkman? Then again most Giants fans will tell you Barry was clean.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:47 PM
Mike

I think he is probably clean and could become the all-time single season "clean "leader ( currently held by Maris at 61).

By the way, could you imagine the questions Maris would have to answer now looking at his stats (39 in 1960 and then 61 in 1961 and then 33 in 1962 ).

Davis may have a similiar year !
Old 07-15-2013, 11:25 PM

Roger Maris's increase in stats in 1961 and then subsequent drop can partly be attributed to the expansion of the AL that year. If you don't believe that then look no farther than what Jim Gentile and Norm Cash also did in 1961 as compared to the season before and the season after.

David
Old 07-16-2013, 12:00 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

If people don't take his word that he's clean, he should blame the previous players who said they were clean but turned out weren't-- some who still claim to have been clean. Don't blame the disbelieving fans.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:12 AM
Barry Sloate

I want to believe he is clean....but the guy is hitting an awful lot of home runs, don't you think?
Old 07-16-2013, 04:29 AM

Default All Star HR Derby

For those of you that didn't watch the All Star HR derby last night, you missed the opportunity to watch Chris Davis in action in his element.

Although he didn't win, I was amazed at the powerful move and excellent technique that he has with that HR swing of his. Truly awesome power!

Time will tell on whether he juices or not, but he definitely is locked in right now!
Old 07-16-2013, 04:49 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Clemens*
Why the "asterisk" with Roger??
Old 07-16-2013, 08:11 AM
James C
Dennis Choraz.yczewski

I feel bad for Miguel Cabrera. It appears that he was well on his way to winning a second Triple Crown in a row.

If Davis' numbers are inflated due to steroid use that would be an absolute shame. I say test him right now before the season is over.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:30 AM
N@te

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheykid54 View Post
I feel bad for Miguel Cabrera. It appears that he was well on his way to winning a second Triple Crown in a row.

If Davis' numbers are inflated due to steroid use that would be an absolute shame. I say test him right now before the season is over.
He's already been tested multiple times