NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

View Poll Results: What Baseball to Sign?
Have President Carter sign the SAME baseball 3 6.38%
Have President Carter sign a BLANK baseball 44 93.62%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2018, 03:02 PM
Jon Canfield

Default Poll/Opinion - Presidents Signed Baseball

I have an opinion question for the board... I have the opportunity to meet Jimmy Carter in a few days. I have a baseball that I had Gerald Ford sign years ago (sweet spot signature), and I've been debating whether I ask President Carter to sign that baseball as well, or have him sign a blank baseball.

What are your thoughts?
Old 03-22-2018, 03:18 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I would have Mr. Carter sign a ball on his own. It would have appeal to two types of collectors; Presidents and Nobel Prize recipients. It would be great if you could get it signed 'Jimmy Carter' rather than the traditional 'J. Carter' but that is his preference. I got one 'Jimmy' from him years ago on a photo I took of him at the dedication of the JFK Presidential Library which sits on the campus of my alma mater.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 03-22-2018, 03:23 PM

I agree, separate is the way to go. Nothing really ties them together other than serving consecutively. If it was LBJ and Kennedy, or Ford and Nixon that would be something.

Last edited by packs; 03-22-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:20 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I agree with the other posters; if I were in your shoes I would get a separate ball.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:22 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Alternatively, you could get another baseball signed by Ford and have Carter sign that one and a blank one .
Old 03-22-2018, 05:28 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I would try to get a period ball for him to sign.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:15 PM
Jon Canfield

Thanks guys - really appreciate the advice. Unfortunately its likely too late to get a period ball, but I'll end up going with a blank ball.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:04 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I would add that he is absolutely one of the nicest human beings I have had the pleasure of meeting. The first time I met him was in the late 1980's when he still had a 4 member or so Secret Service detail. It was a lecture, with no planned signing so I had an envelope with photos for him. A Mass State trooper friend whose brother was Secret Service told me the trick to giving him something to sign was to talk to one of the agents, show them the package and hand it to them in front of Mr. Carter. It worked wonders. A few days later I received my envelope back in the mail with 5 signed photos, all taken by me. They were postmarked Boston so I had no reason to worry about autopen.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 03-23-2018, 12:55 PM
Bob Davies

Seems to me in the scenario you described, it would be a lot more effort to autopen the photos than to have him just sign them.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:36 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Seems to me in the scenario you described, it would be a lot more effort to autopen the photos than to have him just sign them.
Yes, very true. He was on a small lecture tour and going back to Georgia just to have them autopenned would not have been worth the trouble. As he proved, it was very easy to sign them in his hotel room and have the hotel drop them in the mail. I am sure it helped that I enclosed a handwritten letter stating that I was at the library dedication working for my college radio station and took the photos myself.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:15 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Here's my Carter ball. Loves to sign anything he can about his love for Palestine.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:03 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
Alternatively, you could get another baseball signed by Ford and have Carter sign that one and a blank one .
It would be tough to get Ford to sign another baseball at this point, on account of the fact that he passed away in... oh, you mean get one that he signed BEFORE he... uh... well, you know, mmm, before he became, ahhh, no longer with... no longer with us.

Never mind.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:21 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
It would be tough to get Ford to sign another baseball at this point, on account of the fact that he passed away in... oh, you mean get one that he signed BEFORE he... uh... well, you know, mmm, before he became, ahhh, no longer with... no longer with us.

Never mind.

I’m sure Coaches Corner could get one in a heartbeat, with a signature so crisp, it would look like it was signed yesterday. Which it probably was.