NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-06-2015, 07:40 AM
Jeff Carlson

Default Willie Mays Auto

I am almost certain that this is not a real Willie Mays autograph, as I have a Topps certified Mays autograph from the same time this auto was purportedly acquired and they don't look even close. But since it is one of the key autographs I have yet to get for my signed 1963 Fleer set I figure I will just double check with folks who have far more expertise in these matters.

Found here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIGNED-WILLI.../131596542653?

Thanks,

Jeff Carlson
Old 09-06-2015, 07:42 AM
$teve O.

Doesn't look good to me.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:44 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Secretarial

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-06-2015, 10:31 AM
J Stone

Yes, that's a very common secretarial, usually what came back when you wrote to Mays TTM in the 1970s era.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:31 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Like I always say, "If you can read Willie Mays, he didn't write it."
Old 09-06-2015, 01:17 PM
je.sse @rnot

I have recently bought a couple signed Mays items for my step-father and the signature doesn't look even close to me.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:01 AM
Jeff Carlson

Thank you all for confirming my suspicions.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:02 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I'm going to offer a counterpoint to the naysayers.

I got a bunch of Mays autos through the mail in the late 70's and early 80's and they look just like the one you posted. Listen, people around here will always tell you these are 'secretarial' or signed by his wife or whatever, but I don't buy it. To me, his signature has simply evolved over the years. It's important to note that when I wrote to Willie back then, it took the better part of a year if not longer to receive my SASE back. That told me that he just sorta let things pile up until he finally got around to signing them. I would think if he had someone signing things for him, they would've been pumping things out rather quickly. That's just an opinion, but I think it's valid.

Clearly his signature for the last bunch of years is remarkably different, but it appears to be a streamlined version of his old signature.

This is how he signs it now (and has signed it for many years):
196maysauto.jpg

This card isn't mine, just an ebay grab, but if you compare it to the way his signature looks now, you can see how the flamboyant strokes that were once there are now watered down to small, barely significant letters.
maysautopsa.jpg

Now look at your card. It probably is a little older than the one above, and I direct your attention to the way he wrote the 'M' in his last name. It follows the very same process, just a little more subdued.

I think he signed his name big and 'crazy' in the old days, but as time passed and the number of autographs he signed (and his bitterness grew) increased, he shortened it all to get it over with very quickly. To me, it's most notable in the 'W.' If you look at your card and then look at the 2 others I posted here, you can clearly see how the loop-de-doo he did has evolved into looking like he is writing the number 4 instead.

Also, take a look at his 1967 card. That signature doesn't look anything like what his signature is today…but it definitely has marked similarities to what you and I both have.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:15 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I'm going to offer a counterpoint to the naysayers.

I got a bunch of Mays autos through the mail in the late 70's and early 80's and they look just like the one you posted. Listen, people around here will always tell you these are 'secretarial' or signed by his wife or whatever, but I don't buy it. To me, his signature has simply evolved over the years. It's important to note that when I wrote to Willie back then, it took the better part of a year if not longer to receive my SASE back. That told me that he just sorta let things pile up until he finally got around to signing them. I would think if he had someone signing things for him, they would've been pumping things out rather quickly. That's just an opinion, but I think it's valid.
I appreciate the counterpoint. I would just offer as a counter-counterpoint that the EBay listing states that the signature was acquired at the HOF in 2001 or 2002. I am assuming this means an in-person autograph during the HOF weekend. As I mentioned in the OP, I have a Topps certified Mays autograph from 2001 (thanks, Diamond Giveaway!) and it is of the more recognizable unreadable style.

But, interesting read. Thank you.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:53 PM
Christopher Williams

Below is a wife-penned "Willie Mays."

Mueller-Mays-WifeSigned-7.jpg

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 09-07-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Richard Simon

If the a looks like an a, then it is likely to be the wife signature.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 11-29-2015, 07:51 AM
Jeff Carlson

Just a quick followup. It appears that the card ended up selling for $167.50. I didn't even bother bidding.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121820801592...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT