NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-18-2017, 10:21 AM

Default Thread No Longer Needed

Thread No Longer Needed

Last edited by kvnkvnkvn; 07-17-2018 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Thread No Longer Needed
Old 12-18-2017, 01:57 PM
Steve Birmingham

Well, it's interesting. Not quite how I'd deliver the information, but then I'm some sort of 80 year old card slab hugging fossil.

Good luck with the site.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:54 PM
Mikeknapp

I like it. Not a big fan of post 1979 cards but it's cool nonetheless.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 12-18-2017, 04:13 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Nice

Hi Kevin, you did a wonderful job with your website. There is some great info, and the site is easy to use. Great job!

My only problem is when you call us "slab huggers". I generally take my cards out of the slab, and then I hug the raw cards.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Well, it's interesting. Not quite how I'd deliver the information, but then I'm some sort of 80 year old card slab hugging fossil. Good luck with the site.
Probably going to deliver the content a bit more professional in the future, minimal swearing, but was going to go full blast. I actually toned the quote down so you guys could hopefully tell it was humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
I like it. Not a big fan of post 1979 cards but it's cool nonetheless.
Ultimately, I plan on doing lots of vintage stuff. Just have a bunch of 2016 Cubs I wanted to get some video on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Hi Kevin, you did a wonderful job with your website. There is some great info, and the site is easy to use. Great job!

Thanks for the kind words. Site has to be user friendly if I am going to have a bunch of senior citizens on there. hahahahah

My only problem is when you call us "slab huggers". I generally take my cards out of the slab, and then I hug the raw cards.

Hilarious.

Rick
Seems like everyone is laughing. I'm a bit surprised. Hahah

It was meant to be in fun. I value all the information I gain from this forum and am happy to be a part of it...

I really want to know what you guys think about the investment advice, cause if anyone can pick that subject apart, it is this forum. hahah
Old 12-19-2017, 04:39 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Took a look. Summary seemed to be: 52T Mantle in any grade, high grade cemtered cards of best players ever, and high grade centered rookies of very good players.

For those looking for any novel insights I think they will be disappointed. But for non-collectors looking to enter the market purely to make money I suppose they would find the writeup helpful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 12-19-2017, 08:19 AM
Mike

Hey Kevin,

I will be checking out your website & YouTube page as soon as I have some free time.

Mike
Old 12-19-2017, 09:55 AM
Banned

Since you’re asking. “Snowflake Culture Disclaimer”? I think I’ve seen your posts on here five maybe six times and everyone you use the pathetic “snowflake” insult. Seems like you’re projecting to me.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:05 AM
Steve Birmingham

[QUOTE=kvnkvnkvn;1730658]Probably going to deliver the content a bit more professional in the future, minimal swearing, but was going to go full blast. I actually toned the quote down so you guys could hopefully tell it was humor.

Less swearing, but if the overall tone works better for whoever your target audience is, I'd say go with it. I don't really like the "dude" stuff in general (It's like when everyone was calling everyone else "bro") but I know a lot of the kids talk like that. I suspect it will work better for a younger crowd, and if it does, that can only be a positive thing.

I'm not so sure the Mantle will double or triple from where it is now, but then, that may be an opinion like the one where the hobby is dying because of ... too much money, too little money, too many cards, too many sorts of the same card... other reasons I forget that haven't really done much if any damage.

Have you seen the old lady who does cooking and swears something awful? Really funny stuff, so maybe just keep on the way you are.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsFan View Post
Since you’re asking. “Snowflake Culture Disclaimer”? I think I’ve seen your posts on here five maybe six times and everyone you use the pathetic “snowflake” insult. Seems like you’re projecting to me.
Not quite sure what you're saying...

I assume you're saying that I am actually the snowflake. If me being offended by people being so easily offended means I am the snowflake, I guess I will accept that. Although, I'm actually not offended by society. To me, it is hilarious how worked up people can get and then move on to the next issue media feeds to them.

Let's just take the NFL beaten girlfriends joke...Laugh or move on, shit wasn't even that bad. Say something to me directly and I will respond.

Dudes that got offended were the snowflakes, I was just responding back.

I ain't projecting shit. I just type what I think, and try to have fun...

Not sure of the others situations you mention, but I ain't done nothing that bad on this forum. Just having fun, slanging cardboard...
Old 12-19-2017, 12:49 PM

Kevin

Upfront I am an old grumpy man.

Just be mindful of your writing style. You never know who might be looking at your site. I do not know your age but this could be a college that you are applying to. It could be future or current employer, or some girl's parents, etc.

Dude your style takes away from your product.

T
Old 12-19-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redalpha7 View Post
Kevin

Upfront I am an old grumpy man.

Hilarious. hahaha

Just be mindful of your writing style. You never know who might be looking at your site. I do not know your age but this could be a college that you are applying to. It could be future or current employer, or some girl's parents, etc.

I'm 40...I was going to go full blast uncensorsed initially, but will most likely move towards a more professional tone.

Dude your style takes away from your product.

I know. You should have seen the shenanigans that got me fired from a team I used to film for...Mouthing off on social media. I can live with some of it, but I do have to figure out how much I willing to sacrifice because of said "style". hahah

T
-
Old 12-19-2017, 05:36 PM
Curt

If the writing style appeals to more potential viewers than not, then congrats. It turned me away quickly. When people talk like that, especially a 40 year old, it seems forced to me. When people take the time to actually type like that, well that is another category all together.

I did like the song from the video with the Edwards cards, but Shazam couldn't ID it. Independent release?
Old 12-19-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
If the writing style appeals to more potential viewers than not, then congrats. It turned me away quickly. When people talk like that, especially a 40 year old, it seems forced to me. When people take the time to actually type like that, well that is another category all together.

I did like the song from the video with the Edwards cards, but Shazam couldn't ID it. Independent release?
Probably going to go more professional. The investment article is the only one like that, it was based off a Twitter conversation I had with someone...

I license my music from Epidemic Sound. They have a bunch of different artists providing their music...Check out the rock category on their site, not sure which video you are talking about...
Old 12-19-2017, 09:04 PM
Curt

It was the video that you showed the Carl Edwards cards from your site.

http://cardsfromtheattic.com/collection-videos/

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnkvnkvn View Post
Probably going to go more professional. The investment article is the only one like that, it was based off a Twitter conversation I had with someone...

I license my music from Epidemic Sound. They have a bunch of different artists providing their music...Check out the rock category on their site, not sure which video you are talking about...

Last edited by mrmopar; 12-19-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
It was the video that you showed the Carl Edwards cards from your site.

http://cardsfromtheattic.com/collection-videos/
That collection video section is going to be for offering those types of videos to other collectors in case they want to throw some of their stuff on YouTube and social media sites...

The song is Sebastian Forslund - Never Return. This song is top notch. One of my favorites from the site so far. Great site if you need to license music...
Old 12-21-2017, 01:02 PM
Larry

Long term, with regard to investment advice, the formula itself is very simple and applies with equal force to any collectible field: buy rare, significant items in the best condition you can find or afford. Condition is relatively easy--the rest requires research and study. The more time you "invest" in the latter, the better your picks will be over time. Common to somewhat scarce items tend to be cyclical in value over time, and I include the '52 Topps Mantle in this group (the virtually never-ending stream of them appearing on ebay or at auction is to me a decisive turn-off). It has significance galore; but no one in their right mind would call it rare or even scarce. Twenty-five years ago or so one author suggested there might be 15,000 of them still around. Their proliferation at auction suggests that estimate may well have been very conservative.

Best of luck to you,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 12-21-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:27 PM
Banned

Referring to the 52 Mantle sounds like you’re missing the demand portion of the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
Long term, with regard to investment advice, the formula itself is very simple and applies with equal force to any collectible field: buy rare, significant items in the best condition you can find or afford. Condition is relatively easy--the rest requires research and study. The more time you "invest" in the latter, the better your picks will be over time. Common to somewhat scarce items tend to be cyclical in value over time, and I include the '52 Topps Mantle in this group (the virtually never-ending stream of them appearing on ebay or at auction is to me a decisive turn-off). It has significance galore; but no one in their right mind would call it rare or even scarce. Twenty-five years ago or so one author suggested there might be 15,000 of them still around. Their proliferation at auction suggests that estimate may well have been very conservative.

Best of luck to you,

Larry
Old 12-22-2017, 07:07 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsFan View Post
Referring to the 52 Mantle sounds like you’re missing the demand portion of the equation.
I concur. The demand part and the centering part are missing in that assessment, which does not account for the nuanced ways in which the market has evolved today.

To merely cite population numbers as a whole when it comes to the 1952 Mantle is specious. When someone is shopping for one and wants the best in whatever their price range, it comes down to this: how many are centered?

The market is parsing the centered examples from the herd, and in that respect those examples are indeed scarce. We see this dynamic at play even in mid/low grade centered Mantles — cards that are plentiful in any condition, yet rarely centered; 1957, 60, 61, 62, when a focused and centered example shows up, it breaks out from the herd.

Do I see a lot of basic issue Mantles on ebay? Yes.

Are 99.9% of them ugly, tilted, and OC? Yes.

That makes that 99.9% a decisive turn off, for me.

That small fraction of scarce and highly sought-after specimens that are gorgeous with great centering? Major turn on.

While I agree that rare/scarce and significant is a great way to go, I also think that the evolving hobby and market is redefining rare/scarce in nuanced ways. I also think the 1952 Topps Mantle will always be the most in-demand card. And the demand for centered examples of the 1952 Topps Mantle will continue to far outstrip the supply.

Last edited by MattyC; 12-22-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:49 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

"hahahahahahah" reminds me of the canned laughter used on early sitcoms taped without a studio audience.

Humor is in the eye of the beholder.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I concur. The demand part and the centering part are missing in that assessment, which does not account for the nuanced ways in which the market has evolved today.

To merely cite population numbers as a whole when it comes to the 1952 Mantle is specious. When someone is shopping for one and wants the best in whatever their price range, it comes down to this: how many are centered?

The market is parsing the centered examples from the herd, and in that respect those examples are indeed scarce. We see this dynamic at play even in mid/low grade centered Mantles — cards that are plentiful in any condition, yet rarely centered; 1957, 60, 61, 62, when a focused and centered example shows up, it breaks out from the herd.

Do I see a lot of basic issue Mantles on ebay? Yes.

Are 99.9% of them ugly, tilted, and OC? Yes.

That makes that 99.9% a decisive turn off, for me.

That small fraction of scarce and highly sought-after specimens that are gorgeous with great centering? Major turn on.

While I agree that rare/scarce and significant is a great way to go, I also think that the evolving hobby and market is redefining rare/scarce in nuanced ways. I also think the 1952 Topps Mantle will always be the most in-demand card. And the demand for centered examples of the 1952 Topps Mantle will continue to far outstrip the supply.
I agree completely. Try to find one of these (received yesterday), in a mid tier grade, which is centered nicely. They are quite scarce....and their value is quite a bit higher than normally centered ones...

Old 12-22-2017, 09:59 AM
Matt

Leon— that Ted Williams is INCREDIBLY SCARCE. I know because I have long looked for an example exactly like it. Where on earth did you find it and CONGRATS.

On a related note, I just finally found a centered 1957 Topps Mantle. Talk about a card rarely centered. And I had to set a record way over VCP to bring it home. Methinks the seller of it did exceptionally well, though

Last edited by MattyC; 12-22-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:37 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Leon- NICE!! I would love to have that beauty. She's like Kim Khardashian with/out the junk in the trunk.
I've got to start on these B&W rookie cards soon.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 12-22-2017, 04:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Leon— that Ted Williams is INCREDIBLY SCARCE. I know because I have long looked for an example exactly like it. Where on earth did you find it and CONGRATS.

On a related note, I just finally found a centered 1957 Topps Mantle. Talk about a card rarely centered. And I had to set a record way over VCP to bring it home. Methinks the seller of it did exceptionally well, though
Thanks. It was on our BST a few days ago. It was on there for more than a day before I offered and got it. I am sure I also paid a very high price for a 3.5 but it's hard to find them like that. Watching the BST does pay off sometimes.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Well-centered enough for me if not for the elite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg williams39.jpg (77.8 KB, 100 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
"hahahahahahah" reminds me of the canned laughter used on early sitcoms taped without a studio audience.

Humor is in the eye of the beholder.

Clearly

Tags
cards from the attic, sports cards, website