NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2017, 02:05 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Maybe It's Just Me...

Nobody else in my family has any interest in Baseball, much less Baseball Card Collecting. It is a lonely road on which I find myself. If there wasn't so much evidence to the contrary, I would swear I'm adopted.

In an attempt to look ahead, I've come to realize that it will be up to these non-fans who I hold so dear to sell or otherwise get rid of my collection when I'm gone.

This might be the reason I have, perhaps subconsciously, 'stayed within the lines' and amassed those cards I believe will be the easiest to sell.

By taking this route, I have not joined the many T-206 back collectors, card variation aficionados, and those willing to accept cards of lesser condition just to complete a run or set.

I still enjoy when I do find cards I want and meet my afore-mentioned requirements, but the chase for those remaining few is becoming more expensive and I have fewer hobby goals.

This is all my own doing or course, and I guess the only reason I'm posting this is to see if anyone at all understands my predicament.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 12-10-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:11 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Agree with the sentiment, though for slightly different reasons. My sons love baseball, and are amused but not particularly interested in old cards. Likely my collection will be sold after I am gone and, while I enjoy collecting today, I'd like it to be an asset that goes up and value and also is easy to sell. I don't collect more obscure players and cards for this reason.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:39 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

I just shared with my wife and son that I've financed several things for us over the past few years with cards. I've learned that they can be a hobby that also you can sell and restart with ease. Poor shaped cards always have a buyer at the right price so I try to buy cheap and sell cheap. I stick to tougher cards that are in "collector grade" condition. And, it remains fun. My collection has dwindled but I would like for others to enjoy what I have remaining. Net54 username and password is a small note in my will even. I figure this community will help them if they want to sell off. Hopefully I've done everything else right and card money will be the least of their worries
Old 12-10-2017, 02:59 PM
Larry P.

Similar here. Have thought about this a long time.

I say collect whatever makes you happy within your budget, and leave clear instructions with your family how to sell the stuff.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:01 PM
Bruce Mattioli

I've been teased that after I'm gone there's going to one huge tag sale.. Like you, no one else cares about my obsession/collection.. I actually really don't know but might want to think about it someday. To me as a collector, I've done this pretty much all my life..
Old 12-10-2017, 03:24 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I have a great wife and two wonderful young daughters. They all like baseball well enough and occasionally take an interest in what shows up at the mailbox. However, none of them really knows much about my collection, despite my attempts at education. Just the other day I told my wife that if something unexpected should happen to me, she just simply needs to call Lee at Sterling.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2017, 04:31 PM
Craig L.

Also a discussion in my household. She knew when we met that my Iowa collection was to go to the Bob Feller museum in Van Meter. Unfortunately, it has since closed. I have debated willing to state historical museum but hate the idea of it in storage. I know she will probably liquidate my collection and will make sure it get back into the hands of like minded people. My four sons have no interest in baseball or its history, damned anime and Pokemon. I just hope they do something one in a lifetime with the money.

I have had conversations with my father, 73 who collects foreign coins, pre-cancelled stamps and guns. I have no interests in the guns or stamps. He has directed my who to contact when its time to sell them. Guns are another story, I'll use a different one for deer hunting every year for life. We have talked about how I am to use a portion of the money to take a season long trip to Egypt, we will never get the chance together.

Probably an important subject for and collector to have with loved ones.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:49 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I very much appreciate all the posts. Some of the information shared will definitely assist my decisions on how to let go of this wonderful little world my collecting has produced.

I, too, believe that this is a very important subject to discuss with potential heirs 'and the like'. Thorough documentation will be something I will strive to have available to anyone who is so tasked.

Thank You...one and all,

Raymond

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 12-10-2017, 07:30 PM
Steven

I own less that 100 cards, I'm going to have all of them buried with me...problem solved.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:17 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

After I am gone they can do whatever they want with them. I won’t be able to complain.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-11-2017, 06:12 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

I am in the same predicament. When I met my wife I was already big into collecting Cubs cards and they have expanded the last 20 years. She know nothing about sports all at and could care less. She thinks it is all a waste (but her doll collection is fabulous). I also collected anything baseball. When my room overflowed I sent 32 banker boxes of non-Cub stuff to auction. My room is still full but 90% is Cubs the rest Bears and non-Cubs. My son got into collecting high dollar autographs until he got married. My daughter is a Packer fan. One granddaughter is a Brewer fan, one is a Packer fan but her husband is a Viking fan. One grandson is a Red Sox fan. However, none of them collect. I traded, over the years, my non-Cub cards off and now have albums of Packers, Brewers, Vikings and Red Sox for my grandchildren and great grandchildren. I do believe, when the time comes, these will all be tossed. However, having said that, I have and still enjoy, collecting my Cubs stuff and continue to put items in the other albums as I trade. I have stipulated in my will that my stuff be sent to an auction. Some of it is good (1895-1950) and some of it is not so good (1950 up).
I believe as long as I am having fun and enjoy (but it is getting harder) collecting my Cubs I will continue to do so. When I go, as one other poster said, it makes no difference to me what happens as I won't know.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
I own less that 100 cards, I'm going to have all of them buried with me...problem solved.
Where will you be buried? When I sold my first collection it was quite refreshing to have a bit of money again. I doubt I will ever go all-in like that again.

Last edited by Leon; 12-11-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Todd

Default Crossroads...

While I collected a lot in my youth - much of that was in the late 80's and 90's - the overproduced era. Still have much of those cards - though I sold off just about anything of value (aside from key rookies), which I turned into vintage. I've been collecting vintage for about 10 years now. Love it. Love the game - and its history, so the two just went hand in hand. I always thought I could collect with my kid(s) or at least pass down the collection.

However...

Sometimes things just don't work out or go exactly as planned. The "kid" ships is starting to sail and at this point in time - the money would do me much better now - and start building towards the future. I'm not one of them "I'm leaving this hobby" guys. Still love it and perhaps will get back into it at another time. I have other hobbies in mind to fill the void.

I might pick up a few minor cards this winter - but it's time to let it all go this spring. Feel a bit excited for a new beginning, actually.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:01 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Good topic. Just before turning out the light I was staring at the cards on my wall and pondering what their fate might be when I die. Nothing of mine is high-end enough to make anyone rich. I do have a son who loves baseball but has no affinity for cardboard.

When I turned out the light I figured the best I could do was enjoy this stuff as much as I can while I'm here. It may not ever make anyone else as happy as it makes me.

Was a surprise to go from those thoughts to seeing this post. And maybe the burial idea isn't such a bad one!

"...and if I die before I wake I pray the Lord my 1971 Topps Steve Garvey rookie card to take..."

Zzzzzzzz....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 12-11-2017, 11:40 PM
Scott ku.rtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubman1941 View Post
I am in the same predicament. When I met my wife I was already big into collecting Cubs cards and they have expanded the last 20 years. She know nothing about sports all at and could care less. She thinks it is all a waste (but her doll collection is fabulous). I also collected anything baseball. When my room overflowed I sent 32 banker boxes of non-Cub stuff to auction. My room is still full but 90% is Cubs the rest Bears and non-Cubs. My son got into collecting high dollar autographs until he got married. My daughter is a Packer fan. One granddaughter is a Brewer fan, one is a Packer fan but her husband is a Viking fan. One grandson is a Red Sox fan. However, none of them collect. I traded, over the years, my non-Cub cards off and now have albums of Packers, Brewers, Vikings and Red Sox for my grandchildren and great grandchildren. I do believe, when the time comes, these will all be tossed. However, having said that, I have and still enjoy, collecting my Cubs stuff and continue to put items in the other albums as I trade. I have stipulated in my will that my stuff be sent to an auction. Some of it is good (1895-1950) and some of it is not so good (1950 up).
I believe as long as I am having fun and enjoy (but it is getting harder) collecting my Cubs I will continue to do so. When I go, as one other poster said, it makes no difference to me what happens as I won't know.
I'm only 38, so if I outlive you, give me a call just before --- I love the Cubs and have been collecting a ton of them outside of my 1933 Goudeys......

But seriously, I had this conversation with my dad yesterday, and I think it would be cool for my kids to just open the safe deposit box and see all the cool cards and know they're worth something. If they get my half of the brain and not my wife's, they'll know what to do by instincts. I trust that.

If they got my wife's side of the brain, well, look for some deeply discounted 1933 Goudey's in about 35 years.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:28 AM

I buy cards that I love to own and will never sell.

The way I look at it, baseball cards are the ultimate buy and hold asset in the respect there are high costs to buy, sell, and ship them.

When I'm dead, I won't care whether they turned a profit or not and whoever gets them will be very happy regardless if they want to keep them or sell them.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:07 AM

Default Cremation

I plan to have my cards cremated with me, so no worries about grave robbers
Old 12-13-2017, 06:11 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Where will you be buried?
On the east side of Tahoma, between Indian Bar and Summerland...now if you know where that it is you'll get a prize.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:13 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

I know where Tahoma is.
I try to go to somewhere among that vastness a few times each summer. But I live close to Loowit , so more of my free time is spent there. And some time at Wy’east and Klickitat too.

I don’t wish anyone an early demise but will accept any cards mailed my way if any of you aren’t feeling well

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:51 AM
Steven

Very nice Brian...

I used to live 12 miles north of Packwood...yeah, I typed that right. Then for another summer I lived a few miles north of Mystic Lake...I miss those summers and staring at Tahoma.