NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-09-2024, 01:26 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Default If SGC Becomes No More What Happens To The Pop Report?

Obviously a big what if, but if Collectors Universe dissolves SGC you have to wonder what will happen to SGC's pop report data?

It's crucial data to determine the rarity of certain cards. Pop reports are not perfect, as there's a lot of cross-grading, but losing that SGC data would be a bummer. Hopefully, that info gets saved somewhere for the sake of the hobby.
Old 03-09-2024, 01:39 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post
Obviously a big what if, but if Collectors Universe dissolves SGC you have to wonder what will happen to SGC's pop report data?

It's crucial data to determine the rarity of certain cards. Pop reports are not perfect, as there's a lot of cross-grading, but losing that SGC data would be a bummer. Hopefully, that info gets saved somewhere for the sake of the hobby.
Sad to say, but most likely “scattered to the wind”.

With no company, no reason to keep that information.
Old 03-09-2024, 01:41 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post

IMO, if Collectors does away with the SGC brand, my hunch is that as time passes after that awful day, the SGC pop will become less and less important because more and more people will be crossing over their SGC cards. Not all will but most will have to when or if they go to sell.
Old 03-09-2024, 01:45 PM
Johnny MaZilli

I do think SGC will be absorbed as one brand down the road that being PSA.

However I will say this….a nice looking card in a SGC Holder that isn’t a gift grade and is strong for its grade will always have strong resale value in the future. People don’t pay for the grade regardless of what the card looks like as they do with PSA cards. People will buy ugly PSA cards in a grade they “Need” for their Registry and Pop. Sgc has never been a real player with that customer base.

Last edited by Johnny630; 03-09-2024 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-09-2024, 01:50 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Someone want to back up the pop report data for key pre-war sets like T206 before the data goes puff.
Old 03-09-2024, 01:51 PM
Melissa

Not perfect either but the universal search seems to pull PSA and SGC:

https://gemrate.com/universal-search

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2024, 01:55 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonmantle View Post
Not perfect either but the universal search seems to pull PSA and SGC:

https://gemrate.com/universal-search

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah gemrate has trouble finding certain pre-war sets.
Old 03-09-2024, 01:58 PM
Duncan

What did I miss, is SGC going bankrupt/being purchased?
Old 03-09-2024, 02:27 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
What did I miss, is SGC going bankrupt/being purchased?
I guess you’ve been living under a rock for the last few weeks!

Either that or, as the British would say, you’re taking the piss.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 03-09-2024, 02:59 PM

They have different grading standards. It would be a mess. Some people would be really disappointed with some lower-graded crossovers.

I like SGC, but grades of 2 and below get really generous compared to many PSA examples. You can have holes and markings on a card and still get a 2 with SGC. There's other differences up/down the number scale between PSA/SGC, but it's really evident in 2 and below.
Old 03-10-2024, 12:56 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Threads like this make me want to bang my head on a wall. There is zero chance that Collectors is going to get rid of the SGC pop report even if they eventually one day decide to shut them down, which I don't think they plan to do anyhow.
Old 03-10-2024, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Threads like this make me want to bang my head on a wall. There is zero chance that Collectors is going to get rid of the SGC pop report even if they eventually one day decide to shut them down, which I don't think they plan to do anyhow.
If I have done my math correctly, zero chance means that there is a 50/50 possibility of them keeping/getting rid of the SGC population report.

The math:

50 minus 50 equals zero.

Brian (master of math phonics)
Old 03-10-2024, 02:38 PM
Mike P.ap

Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post

However I will say this….a nice looking card in a SGC Holder that isn’t a gift grade and is strong for its grade will always have strong resale value in the future. People don’t pay for the grade regardless of what the card looks like as they do with PSA cards. People will buy ugly PSA cards in a grade they “Need” for their Registry and Pop. Sgc has never been a real player with that customer base.
Well said!
Old 03-10-2024, 02:39 PM
Mike P.ap

Default ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioCRN View Post
They have different grading standards. It would be a mess. Some people would be really disappointed with some lower-graded crossovers.

I like SGC, but grades of 2 and below get really generous compared to many PSA examples. You can have holes and markings on a card and still get a 2 with SGC. There's other differences up/down the number scale between PSA/SGC, but it's really evident in 2 and below.
Total misinformation. Glad you like SGC at least. lol

Last edited by vthobby; 03-10-2024 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:21 PM
Matt G

If SGC got absorbed up, I would be a happy man if they had 2 different slab options for those who enjoy the black slab color.

I think they contrast vintage cards much better and the colors pop.

In my opinion, the focus should be on the card and not the slab

M@tt G@lvin (formerly LarsHoneyToast)

T206 HOF'ers: 10/76

1956 Topps HOF’ers: 8/36
Old 03-10-2024, 04:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post

I hope you are right on part two, I have no wish to go through the reholdering game. I could see it happening otherwise though, if eventually people look at an SGC card and figure the owner must have been unsuccessful at getting it reholdered and as a result it sells at a steep discount.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-10-2024 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 04:53 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Ipeople look at an SGC card and figure the owner must have been unsuccessful at getting it reholdered and as a result it sells at a steep discount.
That's where we are currently. Mpst well centered cards in psa holders sell for more than their sgc counterpart.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-10-2024, 05:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
That's where we are currently. Mpst well centered cards in psa holders sell for more than their sgc counterpart.
True I think, but the gap would be even bigger if people assumed SGC cards won't cross. I think the present gap is just (or mostly) a function of people (outside the "enclave" of course) preferring PSA.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-10-2024 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 05:35 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthobby View Post
Total misinformation. Glad you like SGC at least. lol

That's not misinformation. What he said is true. I could also prove it with multiple before & after photos from my own collection after crossing cards over in both directions with the exact flaws he's referring to.
Old 03-10-2024, 05:37 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
And yet most well-centered cards in SGC holders also sell for more than their PSA counterpart. This is of course because centering matters more than which TPG graded it, at least for vintage cards.
Old 03-10-2024, 05:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
And yet most well-centered cards in SGC holders also sell for more than their PSA counterpart. This is of course because centering matters more than which TPG graded it, at least for vintage cards.
As you are a data scientist, I doubt you have enough data to prove that proposition to any degree of statistical signifcance and are just going by necessarily limited personal anecdotal observation. I've seen many examples to the contrary so I can say with equal confidence that I think all things equal PSA outsells SGC. So there. Not doubting you could find many examples but I bet plenty of counterexamples could be found too.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-10-2024 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:03 AM
Chase

Quote:
This is not a true statement.

A very well centered SGC card has and can sell for more than its PSA counterpart if the PSA graded example is not as well centered. If the PSA counterpart is well centered, then it will outsell the SGC card as it does almost every time, anyway...at least with vintage.

To write that centering matters more than the who graded the card is simply not true and is entirely dismissing the unfortunate reality of the influence PSA's set registry has on the hobby.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:12 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
This is not a true statement.

A very well centered SGC card has and can sell for more than its PSA counterpart if the PSA graded example is not as well centered. If the PSA counterpart is well centered, then it will outsell the SGC card as it does almost every time, anyway...at least with vintage.

To write that centering matters more than the who graded the card is simply not true and is entirely dismissing the unfortunate reality of the influence PSA's set registry has on the hobby.
You Said the Major Key Point .........Influence of PSA's registry on the hobby.

Pop and Registry are Universal with PSA, never will have any meaning to a SGC graded card regardless of what it looks like.

However there have been and will continue to be Beautiful SGC Deserving of the Grade Cards that will at times outsell PSA cards.

Last edited by Johnny630; 03-11-2024 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

When I am buying or trading a card, I just don't give a rats ass about the holder. I collect cards. But to each their own...

if anyone's cards in slabs lose value, I am a buyer!

This will probably be cracked and sent to CGC....And I doubt it loses value.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d311peck.jpg (187.2 KB, 231 views)
Old 03-11-2024, 09:52 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
When I am buying or trading a card, I just don't give a rats ass about the holder. I collect cards. But to each their own...

if anyone's cards in slabs lose value, I am a buyer!

This will probably be cracked and sent to CGC....And I doubt it loses value.
Indeed. I buy cards. No need for a registry. I have cards that are ungraded, in PSA, SGC, CGC and BVG holders.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:29 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
As you are a data scientist, I doubt you have enough data to prove that proposition to any degree of statistical signifcance and are just going by necessarily limited personal anecdotal observation. I've seen many examples to the contrary so I can say with equal confidence that I think all things equal PSA outsells SGC. So there. Not doubting you could find many examples but I bet plenty of counterexamples could be found too.
Perhaps I should be more specific. With the exception of cards that make the short list as registry chase cards, the data does show that a dead-centered SGC card will outsell an off-centered PSA copy in the same grade nearly every time for HOFers and other cards with strong demand. You can certainly find exceptions to this rule, but in general, it's true. It probably doesn't apply to commons though, or to ultra high grade vintage cards as though are mostly registry bids. But if you take a 52 Topps Willie Mays SGC 5 that is perfectly centered and run it next to a PSA 5 with 80/20 centering in the same auction, not only will it outsell the PSA 5, it will often double it.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:11 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Perhaps I should be more specific. With the exception of cards that make the short list as registry chase cards, the data does show that a dead-centered SGC card will outsell an off-centered PSA copy in the same grade nearly every time for HOFers and other cards with strong demand. You can certainly find exceptions to this rule, but in general, it's true. It probably doesn't apply to commons though, or to ultra high grade vintage cards as though are mostly registry bids. But if you take a 52 Topps Willie Mays SGC 5 that is perfectly centered and run it next to a PSA 5 with 80/20 centering in the same auction, not only will it outsell the PSA 5, it will often double it.
Just out of curiosity, what percentage of 52T cards are perfectly centered?

My recollection based on your past studies is that the percentage is incredibly small. Like a tiny fraction of a percent. And I've got to imagine an even smaller fraction currently resides in SGC holders.

Based on those estimates, it seems like your hypothetical fact pattern is unlikely to occur more than once in a blue moon.

But it's definitely a fun thought exercise!

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 03-13-2024 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-13-2024, 09:57 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
What about an SGC 5 and a PSA 5 that are centered about the same? PSA will sell for much more usually, yes?

Old 03-13-2024, 10:47 AM
Eric

Quote:
I think your argument works only for high end cards, but I don't think that's the case of mid to low end HOF cards. But if you have an example of the sales of a mid to low end graded PSA and SGC with difference in centering, I wouldn't mind seeing it.
1926 Star Player Candy Chick Hafey
1880-1930s Detroit Tigers
Travis Jackson 1925 W461 Exhibits or 1923 V89 William Paterson
Old 03-13-2024, 11:24 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post

My recollection based on your past studies is that the percentage is incredibly small. Like a tiny fraction of a percent. And I've got to imagine an even smaller fraction currently resides in SGC holders.

Based on those estimates, it seems like your hypothetical fact pattern is unlikely to occur more than once in a blue moon.

It depends on which print run you're looking at. For example, the 3rd series cards with the cream backs are much tougher to find centered than series 1. For Jackie Robinson and Mickey Mantle, there are only about 25 or so copies with 52/48 or better centering on all of VCP in grades 3 or higher (and only 9 50/50 Jackies).

Other sets are less affected, but in general, I find that most sets fall somewhere between 1 to 5% of cards being centered.

If you were to ask how often a centered 52 Mantle shows up in an SGC holder next to an OC Mantle in the same grade in a PSA holder in the same auction, the answer is "not very often". But if you expand that to ask how often any key vintage HOF card shows up centered in an SGC holder in any grade next to an OC copy in a PSA holder with the same grade in the same auction, a fair answer is "at least somewhat regularly".
Old 03-13-2024, 11:29 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post

Definitely a small percentage, and of course it depends on what you consider perfectly centered. Snowman says he has 50/50 cards, but I've never seen him post one. This 52T Bruce Edwards, which is in a PSA 5.5 slab, is 48/52 top to bottom and 49/51 left to right, with a slight tilt from top left to bottom right. To give you an idea of rarity, I would guess I've looked at 30-40,000 52T cards, and have 50 this nice.

I'm not sure what to make of that though, in terms of overall percentages. I expect that the really nicely centered cards tend to stay in collections longer than the run-of-the-mill cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52T 224 Edwards EX.jpg (85.9 KB, 98 views)
Old 03-13-2024, 11:30 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
What about an SGC 5 and a PSA 5 that are centered about the same? PSA will sell for much more usually, yes?
Yes, if you take two cards with very similar eye appeal in the same grade, the PSA slabbed card will almost always outsell the SGC one.

The problem though is that people then use this knowledge to make faulty assumptions about where they should send their cards for grading to maximize profit when they wish to sell. That's a different question, and it's one which the fact above is insufficient for answering.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:36 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Detroit Collector View Post
I think your argument works only for high end cards, but I don't think that's the case of mid to low end HOF cards. But if you have an example of the sales of a mid to low end graded PSA and SGC with difference in centering, I wouldn't mind seeing it.
The centering premium has a distribution that applies mostly to mid grade cards. The premiums are usually very low for cards that otherwise look beat up. Maybe 1.2x comps or so for something like a typical PSA 1.5. The premiums start to get big for really nice looking 3s and 4s though. Often double comps, and for certain cards that are extremely difficult to find centered you can even see triple or quadruple comps for these grades. You get some big premiums for PSA 5s as well. But those premiums start to come down for 6s. Those usually get more like 1.5x comps than 2x. And it comes down further for 7s and 8s which get about 1.3x comps or so.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:42 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
The centering premium has a distribution that applies mostly to mid grade cards. The premiums are usually very low for cards that otherwise look beat up. Maybe 1.2x comps or so for something like a typical PSA 1.5. The premiums start to get big for really nice looking 3s and 4s though. Often double comps, and for certain cards that are extremely difficult to find centered you can even see triple or quadruple comps for these grades. You get some big premiums for PSA 5s as well. But those premiums start to come down for 6s. Those usually get more like 1.5x comps than 2x. And it comes down further for 7s and 8s which get about 1.3x comps or so.
I think the multiples are probably higher for the top stars. For example, I would happily take all your centered 7 and 8 Mantles at 1.3 VCP.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2024, 11:44 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Definitely a small percentage, and of course it depends on what you consider perfectly centered. Snowman says he has 50/50 cards, but I've never seen him post one. This 52T Bruce Edwards, which is in a PSA 5.5 slab, is 48/52 top to bottom and 49/51 left to right, with a slight tilt from top left to bottom right. To give you an idea of rarity, I would guess I've looked at 30-40,000 52T cards, and have 50 this nice.

I'm not sure what to make of that though, in terms of overall percentages. I expect that the really nicely centered cards tend to stay in collections longer than the run-of-the-mill cards.
Ya, good points. Truly 50/50 perfectly centered cards in every direction, you almost never see (unless they're trimmed). Most of mine are more like 52/48 or better. But there is certainly a selection bias with respect to which cards actually surface on the market because people tend to hold onto their best cards. Evidence of this fact can be seen when a panic market sets in like we had at the end of 2023. I checked off numerous cards on my list that I found centered copies of which I had been searching for years for that all surfaced at the same time because people were panic selling. It shakes the good stuff loose.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:47 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
I think the multiples are probably higher for the top stars. For example, I would happily take all your centered 7 and 8 Mantles at 1.3 VCP.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Ya definitely. Most buyers won't pay big premiums for centered commons but they'll pay up for centered Mantles. That said, if you're patient, you'll usually find someone that will pay a big premium for centered commons as well. Those buyers are out there. There's just not nearly as many of them.