NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-31-2009, 08:19 AM
tcrowntom

Default Lebron's unusual autograph

This is a good example of why I don't like the way young athletes sign, and why autographed stickers seem to be on the way out by the card companies...http://www.examiner.com/x-5758-Chica...es-signed-card
Most people can't even tell the sticker on my lebron autographed card on ebay is upside down...http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=310145261828
Old 05-31-2009, 08:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default that's crazy

I guess autographs aren't what they used to be? Also, lets do be careful about "where" on this board these types of threads are put. I think there is some correlation to the newer "pre-war" HOF cut outs, and stuff, so it can stay here...but generally speaking this thread should be on the memorabilia side. Much thanks for posting it though..It's just another reason for me to not like today's professional sports too much......best regards
Old 05-31-2009, 08:47 AM

In all fairness to the young athletes of today: The autograph industry is no longer just a collecting goal for fans as it was in the 50s thru the 70s. It has now become a major profitable industry. Hence the athletes probably sign as many items in a year as the old timers did in their careers.

And I don't care what anyone says, Steve Verkman has the worst signature ever! I get hassled by my bank everytime I deposit his check. Dan.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:10 PM

Dan,

You're entirely correct. Any post-1990 debut player who passed away following the advent of the insert card era is NOT tough! There are hundreds, if not thousands of these players' signatures out there. If Nick Adenhart, Dernell Stenson or Steve Bechler played prior to this craze, their signatures on any medium would be highly coveted.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Lar.ry Mur.phy

The time of a person taking their time to sign and having pride in their penmanship is long gone. In this internet age, who writes anymore, and I suppose it is easier to have a creative signature like Nick Swisher, than write something that resembles your name. Mariano Rivera would disagree, but for every Mo signatures, there are five hundred who sign like Eric Byrnes. But I have found NHL and NBA the absolute worst and I'm thankful that the nice NHL players write their number so I can then decipher what those sloppy lines really mean.

Larry
Old 06-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Daryle Barbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
In all fairness to the young athletes of today: The autograph industry is no longer just a collecting goal for fans as it was in the 50s thru the 70s. It has now become a major profitable industry. Hence the athletes probably sign as many items in a year as the old timers did in their careers.

And I don't care what anyone says, Steve Verkman has the worst signature ever! I get hassled by my bank everytime I deposit his check. Dan.

I agree with Dan....ole Steve has the worst signature ever......
Old 06-02-2009, 09:23 PM
William Peebles

If the signatures of the NBA and the NHL are tied for the title of "worst of the worst", then Lebron James must have taken a few years of skating lessons just to secure his spot on either team.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:59 PM

IMO, LeBron has one of the better signatures in the NBA and NHL. I have done my fair share of chasing hockey players, and when I see lots of certified signed NBA cards, the "PP" from Paul Pierce, the scribble from Dirk Nowitzki and whatever Tim Duncan calls what he scribbled, are among the worst. I met Carmelo Anthony once and his signature is just wretched and it has gotten worse since I met him during his College days. Look at the signatures of the old NBA legends like Jabbar, Chamberlain and Russell. It's a generational thing. This isn't your father's NBA.