NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Default BVS Slabs

Posted By: Jim Dale

I see the $9 - 10 day turn around on Beckett grading is available. I like their slabs; they are my preference for modern cards too (BGS). Does anyone know are they good at breaking cards out of existing SGC/PSA slabs or no?

PS...I really am not concerned about the "value" equation as much as its my collection and sticking with me for a while.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:10 AM
Administrator

Default BVS Slabs

Posted By: Bilko G

YES, BVG does/will break out PSA/SGC slabs for you to re-slab in the BVG. They charge an extra $2 per card to break the old slab. I too love the BVG slabs.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Default BVS Slabs

Posted By: Mark Anderson

Hi Jim,

Yes, we are able to crack any other company's holders. This includes PSA, SGC & GAI as well as any of the lesser known companies you may want removed from their old holders. There are only a few people approved to do so, and all have had nearly 10 years' experience (original BGS employees since 1999), so you can rest easy that they are careful! There are specific methods that work best on each different company's type of slab. The cracking fee is $3 per card.

If you simply want cards cracked and regraded under BGS/BVG, you would just pay the $9 special grading fee for 10-day service and the $3 cracking fee. If you have minimum grades in mind, there would be a review fee first for the card to be reviewed and pre-graded in the slab before cracking and official grading.

If you have any more questions on this, please shoot us an email at grading@beckett.com, call 972.448.9188, or check out www.beckett.com/grading.

Thanks!
Mark Anderson, Director
Beckett Grading Services

Old 05-23-2008, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Default BVS Slabs

Posted By: Phil Garry

Mark:

Will Beckett be grading on-site at this year's National and what will the grading costs be? Also, will your oversized holders definitely be available by then?

Thanks

Old 05-23-2008, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Default BVS Slabs

Hi Phil,

Yes, we will once again be grading at the National. We haven't determined the pricing yet, but we will be offering regular onsite slabbing, raw card review, graded card review, and take-home submissions. JSA will also be there, so we can take in JSA/BGS autograph orders as well.

One hint, look around for special offers. For those of you taking advantage of our free trial issue of Graded Card Investor (see the Net54 post), I am including a coupon sheet for BGS/BVG, and if I recall correctly, I included one grading coupon specifically for the National Convention.

Thanks!
Mark

Old 05-23-2008, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Default BVS Slabs

Sorry Phil - forgot the second half of your question.

Our new large holders are being produced right now. I don't have an official launch date yet, but I would hope they would be done and in Dallas by the end of June. I'm very excited about these - they are absolutely massive, holding items up to about 9" x 11.5" and up to 1/4" thick. They are sonically sealed as our standard slabs, and as far as I know, the only large holders that have ever been fully sealed (CGC comics holders, for instance, use a rivet/post design and can be pried apart, etc.). I can't imagine dealers hauling thousands of these around to shows, but I think they look really sharp.

I'll try to get a sample scan or two posted on this thread later today if I have time (leaving on vacation shortly for a week).

Mark

Old 05-23-2008, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Default BVS Slabs

Posted By: cmoking

It is interesting to see the strategy. Some companies charge less for crossovers some charge more. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just noting that the difference is interesting

Old 05-23-2008, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Default BVS Slabs

Posted By: Dave F

Interesting BVS charges $3 per crackout that they do. Do the other grades do this as well? I don't think I've ever sent anything in except raw cards...other than one time to SGC where in fact they did crack something out. I don't remember being charged for that, but I think it was at the $50 level or something and maybe it just didn't apply at that point?

Old 05-23-2008, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Default BVS Slabs

Posted By: Evan

Mr Anderson,
Would you possibly have an idea when you will be set up to slab the 3 1/2 x 5 1/2 baseball hof postcards. I have cards at jsa since November 07. I have tried to reach Jeremy at BGS on several occasions and have yet to get a call back. Thanks

Old 05-23-2008, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Default BVS Slabs

Posted By: Rob D.

Dave,

SGC has not charged me for cracking cards out of PSA holders, no matter what the pricing level.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Default BVS Slabs

Evan,

The medium format slab (6" x 9") is in the design process. I hope to have it by the National as well, but it will be close. We had to get the larger slab first, and it involved far more re-engineering than we anticipated, due to the large size. However, now that we have a viable solution on the large format, the medium format will not take nearly as long.

For HOF Plaques, etc., you would have 3 options:

1) Wait for the 6x9 holder,
2) Have it slabbed in the large format holder (it will look a little small in there, but we would add custom bars in the internal sleeve to hold it centered in place, or
3) We could slab it in our current 3.5 x 5.25 holder, but without the usual internal sleeve.

Mark

Old 05-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Default BVS Slabs

Posted By: Evan

Mark,
Thanks for the info. I will contact jsa and inform them of my choice.
Evan

Old 05-23-2008, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Default BVS Slabs

Posted By: Jim Dale

There was mention of a review fee if a minimum grade requirement is set? How much is that in addition to the cracking fee? All I'd care about is that they grade equally to what SGC and PSA have set them but I have to admit if they were going to be graded down I'd rather have them left in their current holders.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Default BVS Slabs

Jim - I sent you a private email with the details of the Graded Card Review Service. Normally, the review fee depends on quantity ($10 for 1 card, $7.50 for 4+ cards, on down to $6). As with regular grading fees, we do not base pricing on the value of the card.

If anyone else is reading this thread and wants a little trial special on crossovers, I will offer you the following:

$5 Review Fee
$9 10-Day Service if they cross
No Cracking Fee

Cards not meeting your minimum grade will be left in the original holders and charged $5 each.

Cards meeting or exceeding your minimum grade will be re-slabbed in BVG/BGS holders for a total of $14 each (at the 10-day guaranteed service level).

You must write "Net54 Crossover Special" on your submission form for this rate, and I will honor it through June 30th. You may pass this on to others who may be interested, but I don't plan on advertising this anywhere, so it is a Net 54 exclusive.

The rules for Graded Card Review are found at:
http://www.beckett.com/estore/helpsys/viewarticle.aspx?ArticleId=321

Note you will need to print out and sign a waiver form. Once you send that with your first order, it is kept on file.

Submission forms, shipping and insurance rates, and other info are located at:
www.beckett.com/grading

Note that I will be on vacation until June 2nd.

Thanks,
Mark