NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-18-2004, 06:05 AM
Administrator

Default scamming rises to a new level

Posted By: steve k

Bidding is over $4,000 from a scammer selling a Mantle reprint. This is just unbelievable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73435&item=5101742 082&rd=1

Old 06-18-2004, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich McG

How can you tell that it is a reprint? Other than the sob story, the low feedback...

Old 06-18-2004, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

it's a stolen scan of a card in a GAI holder

Old 06-18-2004, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

yep, it's slabbed already, yet he claims it is raw. If you look at the corner scans he provides, you can see the insert. I wouldn't say that this has reached a new level of scamming though. Nothing new here that ahsn't done by other scammers.

Jay

Old 06-18-2004, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Casey

These types of scams seem to easy to pull of for those in that business unfortunately. I am a bit leary to say the least about a recent sell off of old cards that are in incredible condition and would be curious to know what some of you guys think. They are mostly Willie Mays and Stan Musial cards. They all seem to be in perfect condition. They are from the same time period, which may give the story of a collection sell off some validity, but the near perfect condition of the cards makes you wonder if they are truly authentic. Thoughts?...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60479&item=5100503646

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=ohsharon%21&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

Old 06-18-2004, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

Relatively new to Ebay (less than 6 months) and has been selling stuff like Claudell Washington cards for $0.11 to boost her feedback.

Private auctions.

If it seems too good to be true....

Old 06-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Casey - some of the less expensive cards might be genuine but all of the expensive cards are definitely reprints. Marc sized him/her up perfectly and now Mr./Ms. Scammer is coming in for the "kill".

Old 06-18-2004, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

I tried to email him, but my email was rejected by his work's email administrator. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with today's tragic news, but he works for Lockheed Martin - I think their email may be flooded.

Old 06-19-2004, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Casey

Thanks for your reponses Marc S. and Steve K. Unfortunately, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then you usually can know what to expect. It would be a tasty investment opportunity to turn those cards around if they were at all authentic, but that's all part of the allure.

Old 06-19-2004, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Casey - I just noticed this. It gets even better. Click on the "me" which is next to her ebay name. Not only dealing with a scammer but a "supermodel" scammer. I wonder what magazine they scanned that picture from? - ROTFLMAO!!! But not laughing at the people who are going to get badly taken here.

Old 06-19-2004, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Old 06-19-2004, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ronnie M

looks to be the same user as card-dove

Old 06-19-2004, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary B.

Unless she's stealing the scans of cards from elsewhere, I've downloaded the photos of the backs of some of the expensive Mays cards she's selling and compared them to scans of ones in PSA holders and they look EXACTLY the same to me, no discernable difference at all that I can see. How do you know for sure it's a scam? Sure it seems a little too good to be true, but that doesn't mean it isn't genuine. I'm not trying to defend the person buying them, I'm just really curious...

Old 06-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Gary - You are doing exactly what the scammer wants you to do. I look at a person's intentions and other things when analysing someone's honesty, not the evidence that they want to portray. Sort of like a detective would do. The main reason this lady/guy is a scammer has been pointed out in this forum many times. Why would she (the person most probably is a he) not send the cards to PSA? She/he for spending a $20 grading fee would get thousands more back per card on some of these cards for a PSA graded card versus an ungraded card. She/he clearly states in the "me" outline that she/he is familiar with PSA and Beckett. Why not just get the cards graded at PSA and then list them on ebay? Why not? - Because there either aren't any real cards or they are reprints. And if you think this person's money back guarantee means anything - then that is being naive.

The last thing I'm going to do is waste much time analysing the scans from a scammer. I have handled and seen many thousands of 50's and 60's cards. As a kid actually opening up packs in the late 50's through the mid 60's and actively trading and "flipping" them. Plus actively buying and selling them now. As stated, I'm not going to intensely analyse scans from a scammer, but I did previously briefly review each lot scan. Some of the scans are poor quality reprints - I have seen much better quality reprints. Also - almost every card listed is perfectly centered - having a perfectly centered collection such as this given the circumstances is about as close to the definition of "impossible" as can be gotten.

In the business I have been involved in for 27 years, it entails recognizing people whose intentions sometimes are to buy as much merchandise on credit as possible without any intentions of paying for it. A type of scamming. I very rarely get fooled by these people. I dislike scammers and this forum has even taught me a thing or two about them, and taught me much about pre-WW2 cards, so I like to "give-back" so that others don't get scammed. Trying to eliminate all the baseball card scammers on ebay is like going out in the backyard and stepping on all the ants you see trying to get rid of them. The scammers will always be here, but at least we can try to eliminate the real hard-core bad ones. The end result of this effort is that it helps our great hobby. You have my opinion about the cards - the choice is yours. The choice you should make is to walk away (RUN away) from this ebay seller - buy your high value cards off the reputable sellers who advertise in the buy/sell thread on this forum, the reputable sellers on ebay, and other reputable sellers and auctions. Good luck!

Old 06-19-2004, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

As I've said before, the question always is whether or not one should place a bid. You are miles and miles away from the card, so it's impossible to determine that the card is 100 percent authentic. It's a question of whether or not you are willing to bid lots of money on a raw high end card from a seller who you don't know and who has a typical 'need money quick' story and the auction is private.

I don't give a flying rat's ass how good the image looks.

Old 06-19-2004, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary B.

Just to be clear, I wasn't for a moment considering on bidding on any of this person's auctions, I was just curious what are some of the giveaways, since I'm newly into collecting baseball cards after being out of it for several years. There was no ebay back then, and I'm still learning what to watch out for...

Peace,
Gary

Old 06-19-2004, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Gary - one more thing. Don't believe all those bids and high dollar numbers that you see on the scammer's private bid listings. Scammers are very clever and hope that one real person will jump in on the "herd mentality" of their fake bidding. The bids are shilled up and if the item doesn't sell, the scammer couldn't care less - they are going to stiff ebay for the seller fees anyway. Ebay doesn't care much either because even though they get stiffed for a certain amount of fees, they suffer no actual monetary losses.

Old 06-19-2004, 05:42 PM
Administrator

I think a bidder should have a set of conditions under which he or she will bid. This would include type of guarantee, auction format, type of seller, how detailed the description. Certainly, the conditions for a $1,000 purchase will be different than for a $20 purchase. For example, one might occasionally bid $10 in a private auction or on an item that seller isn't sure is real.

For an expensive, high end item, I have specific conditions that must be met by the seller and auction-- usually starting with the knowledge and reliability of the seller, competency and straightforewardness of the description and guarantee of authenticity. If the seller/auction doesn't meet the conditions I simply don't bid. If the seller uses seprentine language to not actually say anything, doesn't adaquately answer my questions, won't guarantee the authenticity or uses a private auction, I move on. Period.

This is why I said the quality of the card's image in the auction was essentially irrelevant. The seller doesn't meet the conditions for me to spend hundreds of dollars, so the quality of the image doesn't matter to me.

Old 06-19-2004, 06:41 PM
Administrator

is to start with an auction where the seller tells you what is the item for auction. I didn't say suggests, insinuates, dangles the possibility, tells you to judge for yourself, hopes you infer, offers Las Vegas odds. I said tells you ... With many buyers of fake cards, if they go back and re-read the auction descriptions they will see the sellers never actually said what was the item.

I deal with modern fashion photographs including authentication. The one rule of thumb I tell to beginners is that if the eBay seller doesn't say the modern fashion photo is original, it isn't. Because if it was, he would.

Old 06-19-2004, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joejoe

Not saying this seller is for real or not, but just wanted to comment on the case of not being graded. Just because a lot of people are all into grading cards and worship PSA or SGC or whatever the case may be, there are still a lot more people that won't get cards graded and have no need for it or choose not to for whatever the case. Some people might not have much trust in sending a $10,000 card through the mail to a company you don't know and anything could happen. I'm tired of always reading that someone is a scammer because they didn't get it graded. Card collecting was around a long time before grading and will be when grading is long gone. With all the stories of cards being trimmed and still slabbed, and hundreds of other problems, least of which is completely non consistent, which way is really better? What do you do if you buy a $50,000 slabbed card and for whatever reason want to regrade it or reslab it, and it comes back trimmed or can't be holdered? Then where are you? I say any cards high value like these I wouldn't buy over the 'net wether they are slabbed or not. Look at the guy who spent almost $10,000 on the recolored Pete Rose PSA rookie only to find out it was no good and worth nothing? Or the Prior rookie from BGS that was obviously trimmed even though it was serial numbered and slabbed before? That guys out a couple thousand. Thats only a couple cases, theres guaranteed hundreds if not thousands more, what's the point. How smart do you feel then? If you want to collect these high dollar cards, buy them in person. Like they say, buy the card, not the holder.

Old 06-20-2004, 01:49 AM
Administrator

We all know that everyone doesn't go out and get their high grade cards slabbed. But in cases like this where you get a sob story about needing cash and knowing about grading companies, why in the world would someone with a high grade, high dollar card, in need of cash, not get it graded? Getting it slabbed would get them so much more money. This is why everyone is very skeptical of auctions like this.

Jay

Old 06-21-2004, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom V

The seller is no longer registered?

Old 06-21-2004, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joejoe

Couple reasons, even with the sob story, to not get it graded. First, even if you trust PSA's faster services you could still be without the card for a week, 2 weeks or even more depending on when they feel like grading it. If someone really needed the money that quick, who has time to send it out to be graded. That's the whole point of getting a deal. Not in this case, but still. If I had to put a card on Ebay and needed money ASAP, I probably couldn't wait and send it to PSA either. By the time you wait for PSA and sell it on Ebay and wait for payment. You're at a minimum of 2 weeks if everything goes perfect. Not a good way to get money quick. Whereas you throw the card up ungraded, and you could have money in about a week.

Old 06-22-2004, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Osharon! & card-dove are both now not registered. Same body building story, both from Maine, both apparently 30 years old. Maybe Ebay put this together and eliminated this scammer.

Old 06-22-2004, 10:53 AM
Administrator

there are few times in life when you need money ASAP. Most people that get into money trouble did so over a period of time and know they are deeply in debt but refuse to accept it until the calls start coming in. Unless Guido is knocking on the door holding a pipe wrench, there is no excuse for not getting a high grade, big ticket card slabbed to max your money. I've gone thru having major machanical bills and a massive medical bills and had ZERO reason to sell off any of my collection ASAP. There is almost no legitimate bill that cannot be put off a month so you can get a card slabbed and then sell it.

Jay

Old 06-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Anyone complete a transaction with the Osharon! theif? Curious what scam he/she pulled.

Old 01-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff

Does anyone have any further information on this user Card-Dove? I bought a nice Mays card from her and got 2 junk Mays cards. She (or her family members) said I would get a refund but I got anothing yet. Can anyone help me with any information about her?

Old 01-28-2005, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Dove anderson is really a guy. He got busted this weekend for ripping off hundreds of people over the years. Anyone who was ripped off by Dove anderson, John Anderson, June Anderson, Amber anderson, Card-Dove, Ohsharron, or anything from the Lubec Maine area you may have been ripped off by the same person. There are dozens of aliases. If you would like to forward your info to the detectives email me and I will send you their contact info for the person handling the case.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

This listing was just cancelled by ebay.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:09 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post

Dove anderson is really a guy. He got busted this weekend for ripping off hundreds of people over the years. Anyone who was ripped off by Dove anderson, John Anderson, June Anderson, Amber anderson, Card-Dove, Ohsharron, or anything from the Lubec Maine area you may have been ripped off by the same person. There are dozens of aliases. If you would like to forward your info to the detectives email me and I will send you their contact info for the person handling the case.

Apparently there still is some justice in the world.

A friend on another board posted about this.
Quote:
Lubec man sentenced to 3 years in prison for baseball card scam
7/28/10 10:53 am Updated: 7/28/10 08:18 pm
By Judy Harrison
BDN Staff

MACHIAS — A Lubec man who sold baseball cards and other merchandise over the Internet was sentenced Tuesday in Washington County Superior Court to seven years in prison with all but three suspended for theft by deception.

David Anderson, 66, also was sentenced to three years of probation and ordered to pay $6,500 in restitution to three victims, according to the Washington County District Attorney’s Office.

Superior Court Justice Kevin Cuddy denied Anderson’s request for a stay and ordered him to begin serving his sentence immediately.

. . .
Full article: http://www.bangordailynews.com/story...rd-scam,149846

Old 07-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Ordered to repay $6,500.00 to 3 victims, although there were 25 victims with losses of $87,000.00. As Clarence Darrow said, "There is no such thing as justice...in or out of court".