NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Default Kudos to Joe Gonsowski

Posted By: barrysloate

Kudos to Joe for a really nice article in Old Cardboard #13 about the Tomlinson Studios of Detroit, with great photographs and a wealth of useful information.

And what is the one fact that most impressed me? That Charlie Getzein's nickname was "Pretzel". I never knew that!

Old 10-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

Thanks Barry, the compliment means a lot coming from you. I was surprised to see issue #13 in the mailbox moments ago as I returned from work. I wasn't expecting to see it for several days yet. I was impressed with the layout and pleased to see all that Detroit material on the cover.

Originally, the article was slated for a 3 to 4 page piece but in the end had a tough time keeping it down to seven. It took a good deal of time but it was/is a labor of love and is very rewarding to see in print.

Glad you got a kick out of Getzien's nickname. I'll share another little known tid bit regarding Pretzel Getzien's name. None of the 19th century baseball cards have a correct spelling with Getzein and Getzin being common errors. Only the Detroit Free Press (on ocassion) and a handful of scorecards managed to keep it straight. Reason for all the errors likely surrounds the way it was pronounced. From the June 13th, 1886 Detroit Free Press.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Getzien says his name is spelled Getzien and pronounced Getzeen.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I just hope I haven’t made future Tomlinson pieces on the open market more difficult to obtain

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski
Old 10-10-2007, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

That's funny Joe, because I thought you misspelled it in the article and I just didn't want to say anything. But it turns out everyone else has been spelling it wrong.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeU

Joe G.,

Great article! Good to see your Detroit Wolverine knowledge shared. Now if only some of the OJ set guys would be more forthcoming?

Slightly off topic, when the Tigers started in the Amercian League, was there ever any consideration to resurrect the Wolverines as a National League team instead?

Old 10-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

I've received several emails asking similar questions and thought I'd reply here for those interested. Also, since I haven't done so publicly yet, I want to thank Lyman & Brett Hardeman for another fine issue of Old Cardboard. I hope that Net54 members will take the time each issue to discuss the articles and help spread the word so the magazine can further flourish.

That said, I'd like to answer a couple questions. First question is w.r.t. the Bennett OJ not exactly matching the Tomlinson equivalent and what I meant about there being two different versions of the Bennett Old Judge.

While the image size above is significantly reduced, you can see that the top two cabinets are pose variations of the same player. Both are Ned Hanlon Tomlinson cabinets from the 1886 photo shoot. So slight pose variations exist for most if not all players photographed that day. Moving onto Charlie Bennett (bottom row of cabinets), the 2 Old Judge cabinets on the right are a slight pose variation of the Tomlinson on the left but undoubtedly from the same photo shoot. Furthermore, Goodwin and Company released the Bennett with and without "DETROIT" still visible across the chest. I suspect only the earliest copies would have "DETROIT" present while the later copies have "DETROIT" erased/whitened out.

I was also asked what if anything in the article was part of my own collection. I do own some of the items shown in the article including the 1886 team cabinet (perhaps my favorite piece), the Lorillard, and all the Tomlinson portrait cabinets except the Deacon White in suit. I also have several other baseball Tomlinson cabinets not shown in the article including the Hanlon action pose above right. The middle Bennett OJ cabinet (the only Bennett I'm aware of with DETROIT on the uniform) is also part of my collection.

There was also an inquiry as to whether the Detroit Public Library displays their Tomlinson cabinets. The answer to that is yes, but you will likely have to ask someone from the Burton Collection to let you into the Ernie Harwell room. Once inside, you'll find the Tomlinson cabinets including a fantastic team photo together with other baseball memorabilia (heavy Detroit bias). The library has a great collection of baseball photos and to a lesser extent cards but only a small portion of them are displayed in the Harwell room. Item's not present in the Harwell room are tougher to view, heck I haven't been able to see everything and I'm now good friends with the Curator.

http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/Special_Collections/special_collections.htm

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski