NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-02-2023, 06:57 PM

Default Any 'finds' overseas?

I was just curious if anyone had picked up sports or non-sports cards or memorabilia overseas, say, in Europe?

There were some interesting sportscards of American athletes issued in the UK, Italy, Sweden, Netherlands, to name a few. I was wondering if anyone had scored any interesting items from foreign lands? Would love to see some finds, if any.

I will be visiting London in the winter and was also curious whether anyone picked up anything of interest there, and if so, where in particular?

Thanks!
Brian
Old 09-02-2023, 07:37 PM
Murr the Blurr

Produced by Upper Deck, 5,000 of these eight-card panels were given to fans attending the first NHL China Games (LA Kings vs Vancouver Canucks) in Shanghai and Beijing on Sept. 21 and Sept. 23, 2017. Printed exclusively in Mandarin, the issue includes all-time greats Wayne Gretzky, Patrick Roy, Sidney Crosby and current Edmonton Oilers superstar Connor McDavid. In 2018 the second China Games, featuring the Boston Bruins vs Calgary Flames, were played in Shenzhen and Beijing, and the panels, again limited to 5,000, feature four players from each team -- including all three members of the Bruins' "Perfect Line": Brad Marchand, Patrice Bergeron and David Pasernak. I was fortunate enough to attend all four games in a media capacity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220204_211242.jpg (195.8 KB, 1299 views)
File Type: jpg 20220204_211254.jpg (191.4 KB, 1303 views)
File Type: jpg 20220204_204322.jpg (202.3 KB, 1295 views)
File Type: jpg 20220204_204506.jpg (190.7 KB, 1295 views)
Old 09-03-2023, 08:24 AM

Default finds overseas

Very cool, thanks for posting!
Old 09-03-2023, 09:05 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Contact UKguy
Old 09-03-2023, 09:42 AM
Doug Goodman

From a Tokyo flea market, a bit less than 2 ft square.

$10 usd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Game - Japanese (1).jpg (161.2 KB, 1191 views)
File Type: jpg Game - Japanese (2).jpg (141.4 KB, 1185 views)
File Type: jpg Game - Japanese (3).jpg (130.5 KB, 1190 views)
File Type: jpg Game - Japanese (5).jpg (79.0 KB, 1169 views)
File Type: jpg Game - Japanese (4).jpg (52.8 KB, 1167 views)
File Type: jpg Game - Japanese (6).jpg (39.6 KB, 1160 views)
Old 09-03-2023, 01:03 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

If you can find a source, try and locate a 1926 Bobby Jones RC Lambert and Butler. It is a hot card here for those into Golf collectibles. Should think more plentiful and cheaper in UK as issued there and no doubt more plentiful. Good luck. And the Pound is working in your favor.
Old 09-03-2023, 02:24 PM

Default finds

Nice find in Tokyo!

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice (and many thanks to Gary in UK).
Old 09-03-2023, 03:27 PM

I picked this card up at a flea market in Berlin:

Old 09-03-2023, 03:35 PM

Default Jesse

That is a great card of Jesse and Long--and a truly amazing story behind the photo. The ultimate f---k you to Hitler!
Old 09-03-2023, 05:25 PM

I found a guy in Spain for soccer cards. I tell him what I want and then he raids his grandmother’s attic. Recently got a set of 1921 Jaime Boix Barcelona ricardo zamora barcelona.jpgpuzzles.
Old 09-03-2023, 08:04 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Found some non-sport and "off-sport" cricket and such in Hamburg in an antique store...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 09-03-2023, 09:09 PM

Cool soccer cards. Is there anything on the backs?
Find any Pele cards?
Old 09-04-2023, 04:40 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

As a boxing collector I get cards from all over the world via mail order. I haven't been there but I love to show this pocket-sized Korean folding card of Hank Aaron:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-04-2023, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Find any Pele cards?
Here’s the back. No Pele, only Spanish players and teams. He does have some weird Jordan’s though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back.jpg (194.2 KB, 913 views)
Old 09-04-2023, 10:30 PM

Default overseas

Neat card of Hank. My Korean is a bit rusty-what do his jersey and the panel below say, I wonder.....
Old 09-04-2023, 11:37 PM
Robert Klevens

The jersey says Beksul Ham. Which is now owned by CJ Foods. The panel below on the left lists Aaron's different records and accomplishments. The right side is a glossary of baseball terms like perfect game, balk, triple play, etc.

Quote:
Neat card of Hank. My Korean is a bit rusty-what do his jersey and the panel below say, I wonder.....
Old 09-05-2023, 06:28 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It is from a 1982 tour that the pro baseball league in Korea, which was just starting, arranged with Aaron and Ernie Banks. Haven't found a Banks card, yet.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/spo...00_160792.html

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-05-2023 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-05-2023, 06:34 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Find any Pele cards?
Israel:

Uruguay:

Argentina:

Germany:

And the Pele of beaseball:

France:

And the Pele of boxing:

Israel:

Holland:

Sweden:

Czechslovakia:

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-05-2023 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-05-2023, 07:17 AM

I knew someone here could translate the Korean (I am assuming you were not kidding about the ham).

Awesome Pele and Ali cards! I will keep an eye out for them as I travel.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:37 AM
David M.

I have found both sports related and many non-sports when traveling in Europe. Here are a few examples picked up there and on Net54.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ogchurchill.jpg (25.2 KB, 826 views)
File Type: jpg Churchman Ruth1.jpg (24.7 KB, 830 views)
File Type: jpg Mitchell A Gallery Of 1934_1.jpg (196.5 KB, 848 views)
File Type: jpg Dutch 1965_67 Rolling Stones.jpg (72.8 KB, 839 views)
File Type: jpg Carreras Film Stars 1934.jpg (65.2 KB, 835 views)
Old 09-05-2023, 12:16 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
As a boxing collector I get cards from all over the world via mail order. I haven't been there but I love to show this pocket-sized Korean folding card of Hank Aaron:

The English translation is: 'I never took performance enhancing drugs.'
Old 09-05-2023, 02:22 PM
Jimmy

No, but definitely Canada over the years!
Old 09-05-2023, 06:02 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

From Argentina, Nobleza De Tabacos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2544.jpg (191.0 KB, 774 views)

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 09-05-2023, 06:37 PM

So my question for you guys that have picked up sports or non-sports cards overseas: did you get them at a fraction of the price you'd pay here? In other words, are pieces of cardboard/cards in general under-appreciated as a whole outside of the US?

What about Einstein cards--or cards of other "figures" with global importance, like Marilyn Monroe? I would bet they are more valued and are listed on eBay with those inflated BINs.
Old 09-05-2023, 08:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Adam, according to moviecard.com, which is an amazing resource, that Serie M.L.H. card was issued in either (of all places) Trinidad and Tobago or Algeria.

Also, the Swedish Candy card has been rethought apparently, now it is considered a 1968 Dutch unnumbered issue.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-05-2023 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-05-2023, 08:41 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
So my question for you guys that have picked up sports or non-sports cards overseas: did you get them at a fraction of the price you'd pay here? In other words, are pieces of cardboard/cards in general under-appreciated as a whole outside of the US?

What about Einstein cards--or cards of other "figures" with global importance, like Marilyn Monroe? I would bet they are more valued and are listed on eBay with those inflated BINs.
I live in Japan and basically just collect Japanese cards.

Prices used to be way cheaper here than in the US and to a certain extent that is still true, but there has been a lot of convergence in prices over the past few years.

With vintage stuff I think this is mainly the result of American buyers rather than Japanese ones. Various developments (translation software, proxy services, etc) have made Japanese online auctions way more accessible to US buyers than they were a decade ago, and prices on stuff has shot up accordingly as they've been able to bid on stuff.

One example would be the 1929 Shonen Club Babe Ruth. A few years ago I could find copies of that for 100-200$ here. Today its rare to find one and they always go for over $1,000. Demand from Japanese collectors hasn't increased at all in that time period (the existence of the card is barely known in Japanese collecting circles), its all been driven by American buyers scooping them up and driving the price up.

It creates a bit of tension here (just a bit, not much), some Japanese collectors do get annoyed by rising prices attributable to gaijin demand. Not many are after that Ruth card, but for Sadaharu Oh cards in particular (which they have a bit more interest in) the prices have shot through the roof.

Last edited by seanofjapan; 09-05-2023 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-05-2023, 09:32 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Hard to say on the Argentine soccer card, this one is rough, and I really don’t track prices on them. I bought the one, I think it’s neat.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 09-05-2023, 11:39 PM
Ciaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kecleveland View Post
I found a guy in Spain for soccer cards. I tell him what I want and then he raids his grandmother’s attic. Recently got a set of 1921 Jaime Boix Barcelona Attachment 587421puzzles.
I assume you are aware. However, the primary footballer pictured here is Ricardo Zamora. Zamora was one of the most famous players, and certainly the most famous goalkeeper, of the pre WWII era. Also, a controversial figure off the pitch.

As to shops and opportunities to buy cards in London? In my experience, living here, the opportunities are relatively limited. Rather, it’s certainly possible to buy vintage tobacco cards (referred to as “cigarette cards”) here. However, not of vintage US-produced baseball cards; other than where a collector has purchased from across the pond and, hence, if selling, the price tends to be high as they are factoring in their additional costs of original purchase (customs fees, international postage etc).

Other points to note:
- Vintage British football (i.e. “soccer”’) cards from the early 20th century (pre WWI) have exploded in price in recent years; primarily for certain players but also to some extent across the board and the collector base is relatively knowledgeable. Therefore, the opportunity to find bargains would be limited. I’m unsure as to the extent of read across to cards of other themes from this era but many still appear to be very low priced, esp. where purchasing mixed lots at an auction.

- There are a number of card shops around London. However, in practice, these are very modern focused. They’re also very much in the suburbs. Similarly, London now has two regular card shows but these are also well out in suburbs with very little vintage.

- Generally, sellers across Europe are much more aware of prices / values of cards than in the past. Many sellers, similar to many US-based seller, clearly over price and over value their items; certainly online. In my experience, “finds” are better physically in antique and paper shops in parts of Italy and Spain.

Note it works both ways in terms of searching for items overseas. For many years, I’ve searched for rare vintage soccer programs from matches played in the US - particularly of British and European touring teams playing exhibition games against often local US amateur teams. Many of these can be hard to find but, in the past, occasionally bargains could be found on, say, eBay. Not the case these days.
Old 09-06-2023, 07:41 AM

Thanks, Ciaran, very useful info!

I have communicated with numerous sellers in Europe. They seem to be pretty well informed about the value of Cassius Clay cards.......to the extent that they largely overprice everything.
Old 09-06-2023, 02:20 PM
Dave Wilsing

Tobacco cards are all over the place in the UK. Go to Portabello Road Market in London and you can get the entire Churchman Cigarettes Set from the 1930's for 100 pounds. Joe Louis, Jack Dempsey, many others are in it.
Old 09-06-2023, 04:22 PM
Jim Reynolds

I once placed an ad in a foreign country known for a certain sportscard set. Someone actually contacted me and said they knew someone with cards but no further communication ever materialized.
Old 09-07-2023, 04:49 AM

Here’s a recent story re a super rare Babe Ruth 1921 issue found in Japan:
https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...porting-goods/
Old 09-07-2023, 07:48 AM

Default finds

That Ruth PC is absolutely amazing!
I cannot imagine being so lucky as to come across something like that.......
Old 09-07-2023, 07:54 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunswickreeves View Post
Here’s a recent story re a super rare Babe Ruth 1921 issue found in Japan:
https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...porting-goods/
Ok, that is some great luck.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 09-07-2023, 08:25 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Adam, according to moviecard.com, which is an amazing resource, that Serie M.L.H. card was issued in either (of all places) Trinidad and Tobago or Algeria.

Also, the Swedish Candy card has been rethought apparently, now it is considered a 1968 Dutch unnumbered issue.
The MLH card has a designation of origin printed on the front. I don't buy the Algeria thing: wrong language. If there is a Caribbean connection, I think it more likely that the cards went through the Dutch islands rather than the British islands. FWIW, all of the ones I've seen for sale raw came through Europe.

As far as the Swedish one, I've seen that research too and I am still not sure that it wasn't a multi-country and/or multi-year issue. The box it was in is a 1968 Dutch TV series box but there were so many similar issues across nothern Europe that I don't think we have a definitive answer yet. Not that I am defending the TPGs; they usually have their heads up their butts when it comes to foreign boxing.

Or not...
Old 09-07-2023, 05:49 PM
Gary

Quote:

Yes, they can be had for less money than in the US but you need to find them in the right place. I've managed to find Ruth Sanella cards, Ruth Bulgaria and Churchman cards on the UK and German ebay sites. I've also managed to get some good prices on the 1925 Turf Cigarettes George Sisler card.

If you're interested in soccer cigarette cards, they're a dime a dozen in the UK.
Old 09-07-2023, 07:24 PM

Default Finds

Gary, those are outstanding finds! Congratulations!
Old 09-08-2023, 08:08 PM

I find the prices from overseas all over the map. I’ve primarily been purchasing soccer from Europe with an occasional boxer here and there. I’ve also purchased some Sadaharu Oh’s from Japan, but there are no bargains for Oh. In fact, Sadaharu Oh cards have gone up dramatically since the pandemic.

Pele cards used to be more affordable, but seemed to jump in price since last year’s world up. His recent death, and $1 million rookie card also drove prices up.

I find European and South American soccer card prices are all over the place for the same card. English cigarette cards are way cheap and there’s tons on them, same for boxing. Italy and Spanish soccer is more expensive but can be had for sometimes less than half the asking price. I do also find American sellers like COMC sell European cards for much less.
Old 09-09-2023, 01:48 AM
Ciaran

Quote:
I find European and South American soccer card prices are all over the place for the same card. English cigarette cards are way cheap and there’s tons on them, same for boxing. Italy and Spanish soccer is more expensive but can be had for sometimes less than half the asking price. I do also find American sellers like COMC sell European cards for much less.
The English soccer cigarette cards that are cheap are those from between the two World Wars. Those pre WWI have risen dramatically in price over recent years, esp for iconic players of the era such as Billy Meredith and Steve Bloomer.

Italian cards are generally priced higher and more collectible than Spanish equivalents. For example, cards of Giuseppe Meazza (Italian soccer legend of the late 1920s through to early 1940s) have sold for high 5 figure sums in recent years. Similarly, other Italian soccer legends such as Piola and Valentino Mazzola can command high prices. Comparatively, the equivalent Spanish stars such as a Samitier, Alacantara and Zamora sell much smaller sums.

I am a season ticket holder of Internazionale of Milano and travel to Milan regularly (next trip is forthcoming Friday). There are many markets but the items for sale there are generally over-priced and, irrespective of price, not particularly alluring. I find that’s the same with all mainstream markets across Europe, including UK. My better purchases in Italy have come from building up relationships over time with other collectors - building and maintaining a network really does help.
Old 09-09-2023, 07:37 AM

Default finds

Very interesting. I have never acquired one, but I was always pretty amazed at how comparatively undervalued (there's that word again) Sadaharu Oh's cards were, him being the 'Babe Ruth of Japan' and all that.......

What also surprises me is that some sellers in Europe nowadays don't ship to the US. If they are selling cards and Americana most frequently bought by Americans (including Ruth and Ali), that is a poor business model in IMO. I never figured that one out. Is there some new glitch in shipping to the US? I am seeing this more and more.
Old 09-09-2023, 06:21 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Wasn't there a find of several T215 Pirate-back cards down-under a few years ago (Australia)?

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 09-09-2023, 10:56 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I have a 1958 Menko Doyusha Jackie Robinson that was discovered in Tokyo. Pretty cool card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230908_180116.jpg (201.4 KB, 468 views)
Old 09-10-2023, 12:37 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Here are mine. Both are of Ruth: 1937 Lindt & Sprungli and 1930 British American Tobacco . The two companies are still in existence. Anyone with an interest in business history will know that the British American Tobacco Company was created by the T206 distributor, American Tobacco, to sell tobacco products overseas. And, despite its name, British American Tobacco did not sell tobacco products in the UK or the US. Because of this, I believe the recently found Spanish “ Churchman’s” is really a British American Tobacco Card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3400.jpeg (13.7 KB, 462 views)

Last edited by EddieP; 09-10-2023 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-10-2023, 01:04 AM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I have a 1958 Menko Doyusha Jackie Robinson that was discovered in Tokyo. Pretty cool card.
That is a beauty!

The picture is Jackie, but it was supposed to be a Roberto Barbon card (the player identified in the text on the card). One of the all time great photo errors.
Old 09-10-2023, 01:26 AM
Cisco Fran

Write me a private message for Spanish Vintage soccer cards

Quote:
I found a guy in Spain for soccer cards. I tell him what I want and then he raids his grandmother’s attic. Recently got a set of 1921 Jaime Boix Barcelona Attachment 587421puzzles.
Old 09-10-2023, 07:06 AM
Matthew Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsing View Post
Tobacco cards are all over the place in the UK. Go to Portabello Road Market in London and you can get the entire Churchman Cigarettes Set from the 1930's for 100 pounds. Joe Louis, Jack Dempsey, many others are in it.
This. I was just in London and there are cigarette cards all over Portobello Road Market. Loose singles, complete sets, framed displays of variable taste and quality.
Old 09-10-2023, 07:34 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

I bought an American Tobacco Company stock certificate at a flea market in Barcelona. Yeah, the Barcelona in Spain.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-10-2023, 08:56 AM

Eddie, nice finds. Can you possibly blow up the card on the left? Never seen that one before.

Travis, that Robinson is very cool!

You guys have found some great stuff in all corners.......Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-11-2023, 04:10 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Here you go. And here’s the photo that inspired it, Big Baseball Player April 1927:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3431.jpg (190.9 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3432.jpg (185.9 KB, 402 views)
Old 09-11-2023, 07:30 AM

Thanks--that is one cool card! I had never seen it before--this is a great forum.