NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-20-2022, 11:01 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
John, this is from Tombstone Blues.
Peter, I know. Just referencing another great Dylan classic. Also, love the lyrics in 'Tangled up in Blue'.
Old 10-20-2022, 11:48 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-20-2022, 11:51 AM
Drew W@i$e

Heard this from a dealer last week at a card show:

"If you want a great card, you have to pay up."

I couldn't agree more.
Old 10-20-2022, 11:54 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Peter, I know. Just referencing another great Dylan classic. Also, love the lyrics in 'Tangled up in Blue'.
I suspect Positively 4th Street and Like a Rolling Stone are about the same woman, but not sure if anyone ever figured out definitely who he was so angry at.

I remember playing Blood on the Tracks over and over and over. Tangled Up in Blue may not be the best song from it but certainly the catchiest one.

She turned around to look at me as I was walking away
I heard her say over my shoulder
We'll meet again some day
On the avenue
Tangled up in blue

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-20-2022 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-20-2022, 01:39 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
How much weed do you smoke?
I don't and never have. I think it smells disgusting. I have never done any type of drugs. When I worked as a bouncer in a new wave dance club behind Fenway Park in 1980/81 I was always throwing away vials and the folder paper filled with cocaine.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 10-20-2022, 01:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
I don't and never have. I think it smells disgusting. I have never done any type of drugs. When I worked as a bouncer in a new wave dance club behind Fenway Park in 1980/81 I was always throwing away vials and the folder paper filled with cocaine.
Spit?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-20-2022, 02:01 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Spit?
I'm guessing a drug in liquid form that could be carried in a vial.

Not being an expert in such substances, I won't hazard a guess as to which one it might have been.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 10-20-2022, 02:02 PM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
I suspect Positively 4th Street and Like a Rolling Stone are about the same woman, but not sure if anyone ever figured out definitely who he was so angry at.
I believe that Positively 4th Street is about Pete Seger and the folkies who turned on him after he went electric
Old 10-20-2022, 02:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post

Not being an expert in such substances, I won't hazard a guess as to which one it might have been.
Spit is the name or former name of a notorious new wave club on Landsdowne Street behind Fenway.

Old 10-20-2022, 02:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
I believe that Positively 4th Street is about Pete Seger and the folkies who turned on him after he went electric
I didn't know that, interesting, thanks. I always assumed it was about an ex.

Old 10-20-2022, 02:14 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Spit is the name or former name of a notorious new wave club on Landsdowne Street behind Fenway.
HA. Thanks for the education!

I guess that’s a pretty sweet name for a club.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 10-20-2022, 02:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
HA. Thanks for the education!

I guess that’s a pretty sweet name for a club.
https://www.mjwilsonphotography.com/...lub-boston-ma/

Old 10-20-2022, 03:11 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Spit?
Yes. I was an original employee. It was an interesting place to work. I remember a few musicians who came in - Frank Zappa, Daryl Hall and Tom Hamilton from Aerosmith. I gave Hamilton a ration for doing lines. He apologized. Dennis Eckersley also came in once. For the new wave fans I also saw some interesting shows there - The Fall, Chelsea, Waitresses, Skatt Brothers, The Neighborhoods and the Modettes. In 1981 they moved the WBCN Rumble from The Rat to Spit. One of the bands I saw was the Young Snakes with lead singer Aimee Mann. This was a few years before 'Til Tuesday.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 10-20-2022, 03:13 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:

It was powder. People used to carry around these little screw top vials filled with it. Some would have it as a necklace.

Old 10-20-2022, 03:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Yes. I was an original employee. It was an interesting place to work. I remember a few musicians who came in - Frank Zappa, Daryl Hall and Tom Hamilton from Aerosmith. I gave Hamilton a ration for doing lines. He apologized. Dennis Eckersley also came in once. For the new wave fans I also saw some interesting shows there - The Fall, Chelsea, Waitresses, Skatt Brothers, The Neighborhoods and the Modettes. In 1981 they moved the WBCN Rumble from The Rat to Spit. One of the bands I saw was the Young Snakes with lead singer Aimee Mann. This was a few years before 'Til Tuesday.
Spit of course had a reputation, but when I went out during law school it was more to "sophisticated" clubs like Maxwell's which was a favorite of Robert Parish among others. I am sure it was incredibly tame compared to Spit.

Old 10-20-2022, 03:25 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
I was there, though I do not remember it. I do recognize a few people from the video. I believe the DJ, leather jacket with pins, near the beginning of the video is Albert O. He worked at WMBR, the MIT station, and WBCN. I thought I also saw David Minehan, lead singer of The Neighborhoods. One of the still photos in the article below the video shows someone wearing an "Uncle Sams" t-shirt. That was a more traditional music club at Nantasket Beach, though the Pretenders played there in 1980.

Old 10-20-2022, 03:45 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Spit of course had a reputation, but when I went out during law school it was more to "sophisticated" clubs like Maxwell's which was a favorite of Robert Parish among others. I am sure it was incredibly tame compared to Spit.
It was actually quite tame. Mainly a lot of 'trendies' from the 'burbs and southern NH and a lot of BU kids. The real punk/new wave scene was the live music clubs like The Rat, Cantones, The Underground, The Club, Lulu White's, 1270 Boylston, The Paradise, The Channel, Bradford Ballroom.

The Paradise was almost a go to club for many bands. It was small at 550 seats, but considered the real club to get into. I saw some good acts there - Ramones, Boomtown Rats, The Cars, Greg Kihn, Waitresses, Thin Lizzy, Rick Derringer, Elvin Bishop, Cheap Trick. I had to work at Spit the night U2 was an opening act.

The Channel was much larger at about 1500 capacity. It was out of the way and with being a poor college student with no car living in the western suburbs I did not go there a lot. I did see The English Beat and the Specials, The Jam, The Fleshtones and the Dead Kennedys.

The Bradford Ballroom, in a hotel across from The Wang Center, was also a good size place that hosted a fair amount of shows. The only one I saw there was Gang of Four with Mission of Burma.

Old 10-20-2022, 09:09 PM
N.ate A.dams

So - at the upcoming National - why don't Net54 members put together a band. I can sing the blank out of some U2 songs, and can do any Billy Joel/Elton John/Bob Seger set that people want to hear...