NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-18-2022, 05:28 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default “Someone got a great deal on that”

Why do I think we are going to be hearing a lot of that in the coming months?

Market is totally resetting. Won’t be every item but will be most.

At least we are not modern baseball or modern basketball. Vintage will be fine. Some bumps in the road but fine.
Old 10-18-2022, 05:39 PM
J@mes In.gram

I agree totally.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 10-18-2022, 05:45 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Hope it resets on some of the cards I want. So far, no such luck...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 10-18-2022, 05:46 PM
Jim Caravello

Vintage aint’ slowin’ down…my suggestion is to buy as much vintage at decent prices - and then continue to buy more - at decent prices…..the “fad” crowd spending hundreds - thousands - tens of thousands - hundreds of thousands and more for post 80 “limited” - “special” - one of ten cards will be begging you to sell your vintage….why anyone would spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on Brady, Trout and LeBummer “cards” is beyond comprehension….

IMHO

Last edited by JimmyC; 10-18-2022 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:07 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I predict I will be hearing that the card market is about to drop from collectors who want to get more cards, and that I will simultaneously hear that it will inexorably go up, up and away forever no matter what and everyone should go into debt and empty their 401K’s to buy more cards from those who stand to profit from such behavior.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:09 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

LeBron? Brady? How about spending over a million dollars on a Justin Herbert card?
Old 10-18-2022, 06:17 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I learned from a longtime board member here who has helped me put together my collection, has givin me a lot of advice, and put things into perspective.

Know what you want to collect and be patient. Collect long enough and you will see these things go through cycles, he's been through a few. Buy what you can when you can and build your collection slowly, sometimes you'll overpay and sometimes get great deals. And the best part about this hobby is the relationships you make.

-

Last edited by Casey2296; 10-18-2022 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I predict I will be hearing that the card market is about to drop from collectors who want to get more cards, and that I will simultaneously hear that it will inexorably go up, up and away forever no matter what and everyone should go into debt and empty their 401K’s to buy more cards from those who stand to profit from such behavior.
I don't think in the past 15 years there has been a day when some thread about which way the market was headed wasn't on the front page.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-18-2022 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:47 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I don't think in the past 15 years there has been a day when some thread about which way the market was headed wasn't on the front page.
I’d be surprised if this wasn’t the case. The takes seem to be leaning a little more extremist and absurd than normal lately (not referencing the original post of this particular thread).
Old 10-18-2022, 06:50 PM
Chase

Not something I give that much thought to. Like Wall St and real estate they go up and down. I have benefited from both and been bitten by both. I like what I own. I will continue to buy at market prices knowing presently the cards might become less valuable in the short term. What I have seen in vintage is that whatever I have overpaid for in the past is worth far more today, even as prices adjust.
Old 10-18-2022, 07:09 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
I’d be surprised if this wasn’t the case. The takes seem to be leaning a little more extremist and absurd than normal lately (not referencing the original post of this particular thread).
I don’t disagree, but with every asset class I can think of generally dropping at the moment, seems a bit of a stretch to argue that vintage cards won’t be affected.

If you are a pure collector, prob not a big concern. If you also collect as an investment, may affect you a bit more.

Obviously if you are looking to add something pricey, a drop in the market is a good thing.

Now that’s only I could get rid of these Zion Williamson NFTs …..
Old 10-18-2022, 07:15 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I don’t disagree, but with every asset class I can think of generally dropping at the moment, seems a bit of a stretch to argue that vintage cards won’t be affected.

If you are a pure collector, prob not a big concern. If you also collect as an investment, may affect you a bit more.

Obviously if you are looking to add something pricey, a drop in the market is a good thing.

Now that’s only I could get rid of these Zion Williamson NFTs …..
In the short term, I expect a general drop, but no crash. Personally, I am not buying common material, my Topps want list is just sitting and waiting right now. I'm 'going strong' on material that rarely comes to market for my boxing collection, but commodity cards that are available every day, I've sat out this year as prices have already fallen and I think will continue to.

We may get some nice price reductions coming. The Fed appears to be aiming to kill the job market to make people cut spending and help their "transitory" inflation problem the government made, and the White House and Congress appears to want to continue to spend like there is no tomorrow whatsoever. The economy is probably going to worsen over the next year again, which will have to have an impact on the vast majority of cards. It's going to be a long and ugly fight to reign in inflation while the government is pouring absurd amounts of billions into its agenda, and then try to resurrect the stock market and bring the jobs back.

Then again, I root for a total collapse of the card market. As an all collect no invest, I'd love for them to become worthless so I may buy more for less.
Old 10-18-2022, 07:19 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

stuff that sells every day/month will take a hit. the market went bananas but the rare stud cards you might see once a year are strong imo
Old 10-18-2022, 07:32 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Not something I give that much thought to. Like Wall St and real estate they go up and down. I have benefited from both and been bitten by both. I like what I own. I will continue to buy at market prices knowing presently the cards might become less valuable in the short term. What I have seen in vintage is that whatever I have overpaid for in the past is worth far more today, even as prices adjust.
The biggest thing holding me back is that the items I’m looking to pick up used to sell for $30-$50k. Today they sell for $200-$300k. And my budget doesn’t go very far with price tags at that level.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 10-18-2022, 07:56 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
The biggest thing holding me back is that the items I’m looking to pick up used to sell for $30-$50k. Today they sell for $200-$300k. And my budget doesn’t go very far with price tags at that level.
I am in the same boat as you are on some items. That there are good deals to be had in a market that is correcting does not prevent me from pulling the trigger. Not having the money to pull the trigger is what prevents me.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
At some point, it just gets boring, no offense to anyone.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:13 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I’m not clever enough to come up with OC posts.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:14 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Meanwhile, back at the collecting ranch, I'm super excited to finally close on a
Rare Bird that a member has been graciously holding for me.

-
Old 10-18-2022, 08:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Meanwhile, back at the collecting ranch, I'm super excited to finally close on a
Rare Bird that a member has been graciously holding for me.
Ain't that good news, man, ain't that news.

Old 10-18-2022, 08:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Tomorrow let's talk about whether cards are investments for the 973rd time, shall we?

Old 10-18-2022, 08:18 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
I find a lot of threads to be incredibly boring. Like discussions of Magee error cards and polar bear backs on T cards. When I see a thread about them I don’t read them. Problem solved!
Old 10-18-2022, 08:23 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I find a lot of threads to be incredibly boring. Like discussions of Magee error cards and polar bear backs on T cards. When I see a thread about them I don’t read them. Problem solved!
I agree. The joke you quoted is at my own expense.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:25 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Tomorrow let's talk about whether cards are investments for the 973rd time, shall we?
I’ll follow it up with a thread about how I have noticed that there appear to be different brands of cigarettes advertised on T206’s, not just one.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:25 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
I learned from a longtime board member here who has helped me put together my collection, has givin me a lot of advice, and put things into perspective.

Know what you want to collect and be patient. Collect long enough and you will see these things go through cycles, he's been through a few. Buy what you can when you can and build your collection slowly, sometimes you'll overpay and sometimes get great deals. And the best part about this hobby is the relationships you make.
This is a great post for us collectors. Thanks for sharing Phil.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 10-18-2022, 08:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I’ll follow it up with a thread about how I have noticed that there appear to be different brands of cigarettes advertised on T206’s, not just one.
PSA vs. SGC. Rewind, repeat 1000 times.

Old 10-18-2022, 08:30 PM
Tom Re.bert

I see little drive up coffee shops springing up everywhere, will the economy effect them. My nephew is replacing his small business parking lot cost $75,000. When will people start walking into junk food restaurants rather than wrapped around the building waiting in the drive through line using gas- on and on and on, look around-who cares-Why should we worry to much about the cardboard market--grading will fix it, especially 10's
Old 10-18-2022, 08:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
This is a great post for us collectors. Thanks for sharing Phil.

I agree with much of what Phil said, but I think at least for "elite" cards there's been a general long term upward trend superimposed on the up and down cycles. I can't imagine for example we'll ever see certain price levels again for most Ruths and Cobbs and Wagners.

Old 10-18-2022, 08:31 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Ain't that good news, man, ain't that news.
Good Sam Cooke knowledge Peter, I would expect nothing less.

-
Old 10-18-2022, 08:33 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
PSA vs. SGC. Rewind, repeat 1000 times.
Well, what color sticker from a fraud ring or total rando is attached to the slab? That’s where the real difference is.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Good Sam Cooke knowledge Peter, I would expect nothing less.

He was the best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cooke.jpg (175.9 KB, 646 views)

Old 10-18-2022, 08:35 PM
Bruce C@rter

I have just bought what I wanted not caring about the future value of them. Everything I have paid for, I felt they were worth what I paid for them. I quit trying to predict the future. The crystal ball didn't work so I put it in the closet.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:38 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texxxx View Post
I have just bought what I wanted not caring about the future value of them. Everything I have paid for, I felt they were worth what I paid for them. I quit trying to predict the future. The crystal ball didn't work so I put it in the closet.
Well said Bruce.

-
Old 10-18-2022, 08:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texxxx View Post
I've paid a bit too much judging by current values countless times, but it's mostly worked out over the long term.

Old 10-18-2022, 08:44 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
He was the best.
Finally, a card for this thread, and a good one too.

-
Old 10-18-2022, 08:48 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Sorry to hear we’re boring you. Did you have a titillating subject you’d like to discuss instead?

1963 Post complete panel
Old 10-18-2022, 08:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Sorry to hear we’re boring you. Did you have a titillating subject you’d like to discuss instead?
T206 background colors for sure. PSA v SGC, absolutely. Most underrated player is always good. Thinking on it still.

Old 10-18-2022, 08:53 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
T206 background colors for sure. PSA v SGC, absolutely. Most underrated player is always good. Thinking on it still.
Sounds like it’s time to step up and start a new thread!

1963 Post complete panel
Old 10-18-2022, 08:54 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

Quote:
I’m down for the Sam Cooke thread. That seems promising.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:54 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
My favorite T206 background color is still fuchsia. I think Barbie pink goes better with the art style on a Goudey though.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:55 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

My favorite Sam Cooke song is "Wonderful World", though you really can't go wrong with Sam Cooke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_UrVgmA964
Old 10-18-2022, 08:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Sounds like it’s time to step up and start a new thread!
Favorite error card?
Is it too soon to talk about strategy for "Nationals"?

Old 10-18-2022, 08:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
My favorite Sam Cooke song is "Wonderful World", though you really can't go wrong with Sam Cooke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_UrVgmA964
It is hard to imagine a list where I would rank that any lower than five. Absolutely perfect song. It's such a great song that even the bubble gummy Herman's Hermits version is great.

Old 10-18-2022, 09:01 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
I agree with much of what Phil said, but I think at least for "elite" cards there's been a general long term upward trend superimposed on the up and down cycles. I can't imagine for example we'll ever see certain price levels again for most Ruths and Cobbs and Wagners.
Much like real estate this is true, rare vintage pre war is like beachfront property. If a Cobb I want was 3k but is now 6k the only question is can I afford it, because at the next up cycle it will be worth 9-12k.

-
Old 10-18-2022, 09:03 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
It is hard to imagine a list where I would rank that any lower than five. Absolutely perfect song. It's such a great song that even the bubble gummy Herman's Hermits version is great.
It's the type of simple but sweet song I love and you don't hear much of anymore. I'm a sucker for the classic era Motown. It's a hard song for anyone to ruin in a cover.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:05 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
It's the type of simple but sweet song I love and you don't hear much of anymore. I'm a sucker for the classic era Motown. It's a hard song for anyone to ruin in a cover.
Look up the Teskey Brothers from Australia and report back.

-
Old 10-18-2022, 09:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
For me, My Girl is on the same level. Very few if any songwriters on the level of Sam Cooke and Smokey Robinson.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-18-2022 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:09 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
For me, My Girl is on the same level. Very few if any songwriters on the level of Sam Cooke and Smokey Robinson.
My Girl and It's Growing from the same album. Basically anything with David Ruffin on lead vocals through around 1973. Ben King's Stand By Me I can never get tired of either.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
My Girl and It's Growing from the same album. Basically anything with David Ruffin on lead vocals through around 1973. Ben King's Stand By Me I can never get tired of either.
Yeah I was going to add that David Ruffin was otherworldly. The orchestration of the song is brilliant too, the whole thing is perfect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruffin.jpg (104.3 KB, 588 views)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-18-2022 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:11 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Look up the Teskey Brothers from Australia and report back.
I'm one song deep on YouTube and this is straight fire already. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBFZNVxG86o

Thank you. I really liked Leon Bridge's first album that did fairly well and is basically a soundalike record of Sam Cooke.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:15 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Yeah I was going to add that David Ruffin was otherworldly. The orchestration of the song is brilliant too, the whole thing is perfect.
His gruff voice is inelegantly perfect. His "I am My Brother's Keeper" album with his brother is one of my favorite overlooked gems. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfOroYBb0uY