NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-11-2020, 01:46 PM

Default Is this green Cobb real or fake?

Hi everyone. I’m new here. I bought a green Cobb on eBay , just want opinions on whether or not it’s real or fake.
I’m getting a lot of mixed reactions on it

I’m new to the whole T206 scene, so I don’t know too much yet
Your guys help is much appreciated

https://www.flickr.com/photos/skucegoose/

Last edited by SkuceGoose; 06-11-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:15 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

It is not real, most fakes have a slightly shifted green at the top & the gray on the left shoulder.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:06 PM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

sorry hoss; ya got took
Old 06-11-2020, 03:29 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

It is not the worst fake out there, but it's no good. Leon pointed out in a prior thread that there are a number of new collectors running into these fakes that are being passed as real.
Always good to ask. There used to be and still may be a link to "detecting fakes and alterations" somewhere within this site.

There are tell tale signs with the ink patterns, paper stock, smell, texture, pattern of both creasing and edge wear, staining, centering, registration and probably at least a dozen others. One quick way is to simply hold the card to the light and peer from the back to front - if you see a silhouette of the player then fake. Maybe newer fakes have fixed that, but it rules a fair amount out.

My best advice is ensure you have an authentic t206 and a x30 magnifying glass to compare to. The differences will jump out at you without any further knowledge.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Newer collectors should stick with graded (by one of the top 3 tpgs) as they will almost never be fake.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:31 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Newer collectors should stick with graded (by one of the top 3 tpgs) as they will almost never be fake.
Bold statement. Buyer beware when buying slabbed too. Best to educate yourself and find dealers you trust. There are many on this forum that will treat you right here or on eBay.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:56 AM
Jay Cee

I think I recall seeing that seller. He is using the same exact holder for all his "key" money cards from 1886 through 1960. Amazing how he has all the big name star cards and the wear has a pattern which is seen on others.

You should return it while you still have eBay/paypal protection.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:16 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post
Bold statement. Buyer beware when buying slabbed too. Best to educate yourself and find dealers you trust. There are many on this forum that will treat you right here or on eBay.
I agree with Leo. Slabbed cards provide newer collectors (and older non-sophisticated ones for that matter) more security than raw card purchases. This is especially true for expensive cards, such as the green Cobb.

Yes, there are numerical graded altered cards, but, for the most part, they are at least authentic. Plus, slabs provide more liquidity than raw cards. Most people still blindly trust the TPGs, and will pay more for a slabbed 3 than an estimated raw 3.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:37 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
I agree with Leo. Slabbed cards provide newer collectors (and older non-sophisticated ones for that matter) more security than raw card purchases. This is especially true for expensive cards, such as the green Cobb.

Yes, there are numerical graded altered cards, but, for the most part, they are at least authentic. Plus, slabs provide more liquidity than raw cards. Most people still blindly trust the TPGs, and will pay more for a slabbed 3 than an estimated raw 3.
There are circles to talk around tpg's and I'm not going there, but to exclusively buy slabbed cards as a new collector seems overkill. Perhaps on a green Cobb purchased online you are correct and that may have been Leon's point. If I need a Pfeister then I'm not paying the premium for a slab. Knowing and understanding how to identify fakes is good for all collectors. There is not only one way to go about collecting so we are just representing two possible ways of going about it. I admittedly never got with the times
Old 06-13-2020, 11:14 AM

"if" there is a someone here who has "Known" at Every point through their collecting journey, than i say, "Good on Ya!"

One Day i believe You'll Look back on this Card Purchase and You'll say to Yourself... "Self, Never Again!" (:
While Painfully Laughing at the Mr Cobb Card You bought years ago ...

Experience + Knowledge = Wisdom

(imho... Your Experience Level jus Skyrocketed!)

And That's what We're here for... Most of uS would of loved to hav help'd You B4 this Crime of Passion...

*Dead Guys on Cardboard seem to have that effect on us!

Today i purchase some(Mostly Misfits!) cards jus to see them in my hand in order to have a full Opinion... Possible Returning them will Always be part of the transaction! A Card worth that much must be Returnable in order to complete the Beginning of the transaction! Every Reputable Collector, Dealer etc... Knows this!

iN the Past 20 + years i've only recall returning 2 Cards ~

"Slab or No Slab!"

*Leon is jus being Compassionate towards his yearlings
His been here a while and Really Cares!!!

So, i do Hope that the Person who Sold You Mr Cobb's Reprint is Man enough to give You back Your Money!
Old 06-13-2020, 12:20 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

This is the very next thing I read when going back to the main page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I have to agree, without reading any words in the initial post I thought trimmed side to side almost instantly. Don't feel bad I have a couple of high grade 1933 Goudeys in PSA holders that I pulled from my auction because they are trimmed.
Coming here prior to a purchase is pretty much a sure bet. Not a slab, or even your own eyes. Everyone has your best interest in mind and you can choose which advice suits you best. Ultimately, sorry you got burned. All of us have at some point.
Old 06-13-2020, 12:37 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Quote:
There are circles to talk around tpg's and I'm not going there, but to exclusively buy slabbed cards as a new collector seems overkill. Perhaps on a green Cobb purchased online you are correct and that may have been Leon's point. If I need a Pfeister then I'm not paying the premium for a slab. Knowing and understanding how to identify fakes is good for all collectors. There is not only one way to go about collecting so we are just representing two possible ways of going about it. I admittedly never got with the times
I should’ve better clarified my response. I’m advocating buying slabbed for big purchases. However, “big” is a relative term, because everyone has different disposable income levels. I have no worries purchasing raw vintage, even over the internet which hinders my ability to fully inspect the card, up to $200.00. Anything over $200.00 makes me uneasy and I’d prefer a slab.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Countless collectors have come on here and been saved from a bad sale, myself included . I don't think anyone is exempt from making a mistake. Live and learn.
Tip of the day, don't ever buy a Fro Joy baseball card that is in color....

Quote:
This is the very next thing I read when going back to the main page:

Coming here prior to a purchase is pretty much a sure bet. Not a slab, or even your own eyes. Everyone has your best interest in mind and you can choose which advice suits you best. Ultimately, sorry you got burned. All of us have at some point.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:52 AM
Scott Russell

Pretty experienced but a lot of guys on here know I bought a bogus T205 Cy Young. I even went against advice received here on Net54. Apparently there are people with better ebay eyes than me. As soon as I had it in hand I knew it was ridiculous.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-17-2020, 05:12 PM
Glyn Parson

i Won’t hold my breath but I think I’d pay to see a fake green Cobb in a PSA holder not a Frankenstein card or altered card but an actual bogus one. And I mean a real holder not a knock off. Some of the PSA hate on this board has moved so far beyond rational it’s laughable.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:51 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
i Won’t hold my breath but I think I’d pay to see a fake green Cobb in a PSA holder not a Frankenstein card or altered card but an actual bogus one. And I mean a real holder not a knock off. Some of the PSA hate on this board has moved so far beyond rational it’s laughable.
And the same can be said for the love affair for them as well.