NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-26-2017, 04:04 PM

Default R.I.P. Jimmy Catanzaro

I just learned that a good friend to many of us, Jimmy Catanzaro (thekingofclout) died this past weekend. He was a great collector, and, much more importantly, a great guy. Condolences to all his friends and family.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:47 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by david atkatz View Post
i just learned that a good friend to many of us, jimmy catanzaro (thekingofclout) died this past weekend. He was a great collector, and, much more importantly, a great guy. Condolences to all his friends and family.

My condolences to his family.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 12-26-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:59 PM
Hank Thomas

How very sad. Jimmy had just posted here for the first time in a while. He was heavily into great photos before just about anybody, it seemed to me. R.I.P.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:19 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...nia-collector/
Old 12-26-2017, 05:41 PM
Al

Wow another one of the truly great guys that I had the pleasure to meet and talk alot with... Between Mike Hoevet and Jimmy they were 2 truly great guys. Jimmy and I shared many of the same problems in life and many a long talk into the night we would have.. I will miss him dearly. RIP Jimmy... For those who didnt know Jimmy had an incredible photo collection along with an equally great Beatles collection.....

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 12-26-2017, 05:49 PM
Graig Kreindler

I first became friends with Jimmy in early May of 2007. I remember the exact date even, as I had just lost out on a Lou Gehrig photo off of eBay. An action shot depicting the man trotting to first after hitting a home run may not have been super rare, but getting that image taken from behind home plate was a different story altogether. I knew from the moment I saw it that it was going to be a perfect image for a painting I had in mind. After contacting the seller and explaining that I wanted to get in touch with the winner in the hopes that he/she would be willing to sell me a scan, I was given Jimmy's contact info. I was still somewhat new in the game of making the kind of paintings I do now, and I was a bit hesitant to write him. Was I gonna sound like a weirdo to him? Would he understand what I was trying to do? He wrote me back with nothing but compliments on my work, and was more than willing to do anything he could to get a scan of the piece for me.

I didn't know that it was then that I gained not only a champion for what I did, but also came to befriend a human with a REALLY good heart. He was always in my corner - heck, he introduced me to this community soon after we met for the first time. We bonded over our appreciation for the images of the past, be it baseball or the beautiful cityscapes of Berenice Abbott. I mean, for those of you who were on this board in the early 2010s (and I'm sure before that as well) know that the man was a true connoisseur. He was also perhaps one of the most honest, square-dealing people out there. Whether you liked him or not (and I know there were plenty on both sides), he'd tell ya how he felt. And if you knew him personally outside of the hobby, you knew he was a character. And he took great pride in being that. But he'd give you the shirt off his back. And he gave the word 'loyal' a new meaning.

I know that the collecting community (be it baseball, photography and/or the Beatles) has a lost a great champion in Jimmy Catanzaro. And I've lost somebody who has definitely had a profound effect on my life. It may sound dramatic, but I really do think this world is a bit of a lesser place without him. I'm just glad that he's finally at peace and free of pain.

I'll miss you, brutha.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:54 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
I first became friends with Jimmy in early May of 2007. I remember the exact date even, as I had just lost out on a Lou Gehrig photo off of eBay. An action shot depicting the man trotting to first after hitting a home run may not have been super rare, but getting that image taken from behind home plate was a different story altogether. I knew from the moment I saw it that it was going to be a perfect image for a painting I had in mind. After contacting the seller and explaining that I wanted to get in touch with the winner in the hopes that he/she would be willing to sell me a scan, I was given Jimmy's contact info. I was still somewhat new in the game of making the kind of paintings I do now, and I was a bit hesitant to write him. Was I gonna sound like a weirdo to him? Would he understand what I was trying to do? He wrote me back with nothing but compliments on my work, and was more than willing to do anything he could to get a scan of the piece for me.

I didn't know that it was then that I gained not only a champion for what I did, but also came to befriend a human with a REALLY good heart. He was always in my corner - heck, he introduced me to this community soon after we met for the first time. We bonded over our appreciation for the images of the past, be it baseball or the beautiful cityscapes of Berenice Abbott. I mean, for those of you who were on this board in the early 2010s (and I'm sure before that as well) know that the man was a true connoisseur. He was also perhaps one of the most honest, square-dealing people out there. Whether you liked him or not (and I know there were plenty on both sides), he'd tell ya how he felt. And if you knew him personally outside of the hobby, you knew he was a character. And he took great pride in being that. But he'd give you the shirt off his back. And he gave the word 'loyal' a new meaning.

I know that the collecting community (be it baseball, photography and/or the Beatles) has a lost a great champion in Jimmy Catanzaro. And I've lost somebody who has definitely had a profound effect on my life. It may sound dramatic, but I really do think this world is a bit of a lesser place without him. I'm just glad that he's finally at peace and free of pain.

I'll miss you, brutha.
+100 Graig.... Well Said.....

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Last edited by batsballsbases; 12-26-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:14 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Jimmy was a great guy....he and I spoke on the phone a number of times about photos. I am truly saddened to hear this. RIP.

Jeff
Old 12-26-2017, 06:49 PM
M@rk Comer

Truely sad news. Hate to hear about the passing of a collector in the hobby as well as just a wonderful individual.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:28 PM

Default RIP Jimmy- net54 legend

I'm so sad to hear that Jimmy has passed away.
FWIW, I would absolutely agree with everything that has been said.
From my first day on net54 I was drawn to Jimmy's terrific posts.
That being said, his real gift was starting some of the very best "Show me your..." threads that ever appeared here on net54.
As much as I love net54, I really believe that when he stopped collecting baseball and being a regular contributor here, it's never has been the same since...

Jimmy was a passionate, knowledgeable collector, great hobby friend and all-around great guy.

I remember him posting my favorite snapshot that I have ever seen of Nolan Ryan in 1968 out in front of Shea Stadium, which was actually vintage signed by Nolan. Many of you know that Nolan Ryan is one of my major collecting focuses. His snapshot was an absolute "must have" for my collection, although I didn't initially approach him about the possibility of selling or trading it to me.
At some point he mentioned to the net54 community that he had been having some health issues and said that if there was anything that he owned that anyone was particularly keen about to please let him know.
At that time I reached out to him about the 1968 Ryan snapshot. To make a long story short, he allowed me to add this awesome photo to my collection. After this we continued to e-mail and call each other each other off net54 & he became a good friend.

Jimmy's early support of Graig Kreindler led me to make one of the best hobby decisions I've ever made: I commissioned Graig to paint Johnny Vander Meer in late 2011. His painting is one of my absolute favorite pieces in my collection.

RIP Jimmy, you will be missed by many buddy!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-27-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:35 PM
R.J. Hinners

So sad to hear. There's never a good time, but the holiday season can be especially rough for loved ones to cope with a loss. Jimmy will most certainly be missed by many.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:11 PM
qualitycards

Sorry to hear this
Old 12-26-2017, 08:29 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Very sad to hear the passing of Jimmy

When I joined NET54, I discovered my passion for snapshot photos. I was quickly addicted by these little photos! There wasn't much talk about them on the board. So, I searched many hours and days ...looking back in NET54 archives to find anything with snapshots. Then...I discovered Jimmy's collection and the passion he had for this hobby. This guy was the king of snapshots & photos! I exchanged many PMs with Jimmy, because...I wanted to learn everything from him.Very grateful for his time and everything he shared and taught me. You'll be missed, Jimmy. RIP

Last edited by GoCubsGo32; 12-26-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Very sad to hear of this. I had the pleasure of speaking with Jimmy on the phone, on a few occasions. He was always very passionate. RIP Jimmy
Old 12-26-2017, 09:20 PM

I met Jimmy at a National show a few years back. I had a some photos that I was looking to sell and was asking a few dealers if they were interested. I sold a few and bought a few before I wandered over to the huge Memory Lane “booth.” I asked a younger gentleman if he was interested in buying type 1s used for various 1930s cards. The guy said that I should wait for “Jimmy.” Two minutes or so later a smiling man greeted me and asked to see some stuff. He seemed pretty knowledgeable and he bought one or two. I had no idea who he was. I asked if he had any Conlons for sale and he kind of chuckled, reached for a portfolio book and handed it to me. As I flipped through the pages I soon realized that I had seen all of these gems before. There were many beautiful Gehrigs and I believe a few stunning Ruths. Holding his display book, I felt as if I was invited into a back room of a museum. I asked if he was The King of Clout and he replied “I’m Jimmy.” He was just a good guy. Later we corresponded through eBay and via email. Jimmy possessed super knowledge regarding vintage photos. He was always tolerant of my many questions and detailed in his excellent answers. My thoughts are with his family and friends. RIP to The King of Clout.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:44 PM
Rob

I never knew Jimmy, but he sounds like he was a great guy.

We should all aspire to make hobby “connections” like he obviously did.

RIP.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:46 PM

Oh, no. This is awful news.

Jimmy and I never had any dealings or communication otherwise, but he once sent me an email that really cheered this guy up at a crucial time. Nothing I care to share, yet something that will always mean the world to me--especially since Jimmy had no actual reason to send it other than to be his positive self. It was so unexpected; I think of his kind message every once in a while and what it did to lift my spirits.

So sorry you're gone, pal. Wish we could have grabbed a meal or three.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:25 PM

Default Jimmy

Jimmy was a great guy and was a passionate collector. He collected baseball photos as well as a Beatles memorabilia and was as knowledgeable as anyone who I ever met. I will miss our long talks, this one stings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1ED85ED7-08B5-4471-AC36-50107AA97DEB.jpg (12.5 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg A58A78C2-BE96-4317-8140-07096A970B8B.jpg (10.1 KB, 279 views)

Last edited by bobfreedman; 12-26-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:07 PM
Dan Bretta

More sad news in a sad year for Net54. Jimmy was awesome, he pepped up this forum more than anyone who has ever been a member. I was so excited when I saw he came back here a few months back. RIP Jimmy.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:20 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Sad day indeed. RIP Jimmy
Old 12-27-2017, 08:06 AM
Mike

I believe Jimmy may have shown off some of his Gehrig photos in my Show Off Your Yankees thread. Very sad to lose a collector with such a passion for this hobby that Jimmy had. I never got to speak with him unfortunately. R.I.P.

Mike
Old 12-27-2017, 08:55 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default My friend

Words cannot express what Jimmy meant to me but I will try. Jimmy was one of my very best friends. In hindsight, maybe the best friend i have ever had.
I first met Jimmy in 2007. He bought an autograph album from me with Jackie Robinson and Mantle along with various other players. I randomly called him to thank him for the purchase and to make sure he was happy. He was taken back and struck up conversation as only Jimmy could do. He asked me if I was a collector. Answer: yes
He asked me why i was selling such a piece then.
Answer: to raise money to buy Type 1 original photos. Do you know what those are? I asked.

Jimmy chuckled and couldn’t believe it. He was one of the only others that collected them the way I visioned my collection going. In fact, he was already at my vision and then some. He purchased the album as flat signatures to go with his established type 1 photos. They were “companion pieces” -jimmy coined this phrase along with many more now regularly used(pre-rookie etc).
Jimmy was way ahead of the curve. He always was. He introduced me to Henry Yee, Graig Kreindler and many more. He was instrumental in the building of my collection. He was a true mentor. We pushed each other for 7-8 years. I call it the type 1 arms race. We wanted to outdo each other.. find new nuggets “under rocks” , find new info on photos, stats etc. We both found such joy collecting together with the goal of building a photo museum.
In fact, it got so competitive that we had a major fall out for a year or so. We were the same in so many ways. Including, recognizing the importance of our friendship so we both got over our ego and vowed never to fight again. We realized that although building world class collections was a “goal” we really did it to enjoy life through collecting and friendships. We were unstoppable after that. We were just ALWAYS on THE SAME page.. except politics and religion. Lol. Which is so hilarious and shows that we all CAN het along.
We decided to look at both our collections as a whole and come up with a “super trade”. I will get his best Ruth’s and he will get my best Gehrig’s. We would each focus on one player. The price points had to be close of course but it is amazing how little we thought about THE TRADE of all photo TRADES. We just did it. It was prob a 100-150k trade. We just did it for fun.. as friends. Trusting each other.
After the trade, Jimmy decided to transition to his first Love, beatles. His second collecting love was gehrig. He built the greatest collection of gehrig photos ever established. It was documented in an article in Sports collectors daily shown earlier in the thread. In fact, both the photos in his hands are now in my collection. He decided.. what else can i do with this? At that time, jimmy recognized that beatles was untapped and he realized, although he could always add to his gehrig collection in numbers, it was strong enough at its current state. To add would cost a lot of money and unnecessary(complete as is). He always said.. quality vs quantity is the key.
We talked about it and he wanted me to have his best Gehrigs(some i traded him). So we figured out a deal where we could keep the best of the best “in the family” and he could use them to fund his next quest(THE ULTIMATE BEATLES COLLECTION). In a short time, he did just that.
Jimmy’s passion was unmatched. He was so well read.. his research was also second to non(Kreindler maybe). But if Jimmy was interested in something, no one knew more than him in any room. He was so generous with the info he gained as well. Too generous sometimes. I think, like anything in life these days, he was taken advantage of a bit. He would never forget being wronged but ferociously loyal to his best friends. He had the biggest heart and gave it to those who deserved it. He built up his friends. Reinforced our best attributes and just made us feel good.
In the past month, we spoke about our relationship.. our collections. How we helped each other build what we currently had. We dreamed of having an exhibit together.. Ruth/gehrig and beatles exhibit. Although we knew it was silly or just a a dream, it was so fun to talk about. I spoke to him Saturday and he was so excited. He added Two holy grail pieces the last couple weeks and was not able to enjoy them sadly but still had the trill of adding to his collection( ticket stub and record player).
In jimmy’s passing.. my collection means more to me now.. certain pieces for sure. I look at it as “our collection”. We built it together.
There is not one other person that can fill what jimmy provided me. He would be brutally honest with me ALWAYS and ALWAYS had my back. He would never judge.. there was NEVER and alternative motive to his advice. He cared and truly loved me as a brother. He told be countless times he was blessed to have a handful of real friends. Although i agreed with him, i never knew what he truly meant. Now I do. He is irreplaceable to me. I loved him for so many reasons. He was a true brother and perhaps my truest friend I have ever had or will ever have.

I didn’t want this to be thought out so i just wrote it raw(edit free-yeah you know me ) I hope I did you justice Jimmy. I love you buddy and happy you are pain free in paradise with your dear Mom. Maybe you are even able to share some time with the Babe, Lou, John and George on the flip side as well.

Your friend,

-The Dude-

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 12-27-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:09 AM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Words cannot express what Jimmy meant to me but I will try. Jimmy was one of my very best friends. In hindsight, maybe the best friend i have ever had.
I first met Jimmy in 2007. He bought an autograph album from me with Jackie Robinson and Mantle along with various other players. I randomly called him to thank him for the purchase and to make sure he was happy. He was taken back and struck up conversation as only Jimmy could do. He asked me if I was a collector. Answer: yes
Answer: to raise money to buy Type 1 original photos. Do you know what those are? I asked.

Jimmy chuckled and couldn’t believe it. He was one of the only others that collected them the way I visioned my collection going. In fact, he was already at my vision and then some. He purchased the album as flat signatures to go with his established type 1 photos. They were “companion pieces” -jimmy coined this phrase along with many more now regularly used(pre-rookie etc).
Jimmy was way ahead of the curve. He always was. He introduced me to Henry Yee, Graig Kreindler and many more. He was instrumental in the building of my collection. He was a true mentor. We pushed each other for 7-8 years. I call it the type 1 arms race. We wanted to outdo each other.. find new nuggets “under rocks” , find new info on photos, stats etc. We both found such joy collecting together with the goal of building a photo museum.
In fact, it got so competitive that we had a major fall out for a year or so. We were the same in so many ways. Including, recognizing the importance of our friendship so we both got over our ego and vowed never to fight again. We realized that although building world class collections was a “goal” we really did it to enjoy life through collecting and friendships. We were unstoppable after that. We were just ALWAYS on THE SAME page.. except politics and religion. Lol. Which is so hilarious and shows that we all CAN het along.
We decided to look at both our collections as a whole and come up with a “super trade”. I will get his best Ruth’s and he will get my best Gehrig’s. We would each focus on one player. The price points had to be close of course but it is amazing how little we thought about THE TRADE of all photo TRADES. We just did it. It was prob a 100-150k trade. We just did it for fun.. as friends. Trusting each other.
After the trade, Jimmy decided to transition to his first Love, beatles. His second collecting love was gehrig. He built the greatest collection of gehrig photos ever established. It was documented in an article in Sports collectors daily shown earlier in the thread. In fact, both the photos in his hands are now in my collection. He decided.. what else can i do with this? At that time, jimmy recognized that beatles was untapped and he realized, although he could always add to his gehrig collection in numbers, it was strong enough at its current state. To add would cost a lot of money and unnecessary(complete as is). He always said.. quality vs quantity is the key.
We talked about it and he wanted me to have his best Gehrigs(some i traded him). So we figured out a deal where we could keep the best of the best “in the family” and he could use them to fund his next quest(THE ULTIMATE BEATLES COLLECTION). In a short time, he did just that.
Jimmy’s passion was unmatched. He was so well read.. his research was also second to non(Kreindler maybe). But if Jimmy was interested in something, no one knew more than him in any room. He was so generous with the info he gained as well. Too generous sometimes. I think, like anything in life these days, he was taken advantage of a bit. He would never forget being wronged but ferociously loyal to his best friends. He had the biggest heart and gave it to those who deserved it. He built up his friends. Reinforced our best attributes and just made us feel good.
In the past month, we spoke about our relationship.. our collections. How we helped each other build what we currently had. We dreamed of having an exhibit together.. Ruth/gehrig and beatles exhibit. Although we knew it was silly or just a a dream, it was so fun to talk about. I spoke to him Saturday and he was so excited. He added Two holy grail pieces the last couple weeks and was not able to enjoy them sadly but still had the trill of adding to his collection( ticket stub and record player).
In jimmy’s passing.. my collection means more to me now.. certain pieces for sure. I look at it as “our collection”. We built it together.
There is not one other person that can fill what jimmy provided me. He would be brutally honest with me ALWAYS and ALWAYS had my back. He would never judge.. there was NEVER and alternative motive to his advice. He cared and truly loved me as a brother. He told be countless times he was blessed to have a handful of real friends. Although i agreed with him, i never knew what he truly meant. Now I do. He is irreplaceable to me. I loved him for so many reasons. He was a true brother and perhaps my truest friend I have ever had or will ever have.

I didn’t want this to be thought out so i just wrote it raw(edit free-yeah you know me ) I hope I did you justice Jimmy. I love you buddy and happy you are pain free in paradise with your dear Mom. Maybe you are even able to share some time with the Babe, Lou, John and George on the flip side as well.

Your friend,

-The Dude-
Very well said Ben..... Jimmy would have loved it....

Old 12-27-2017, 09:51 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I too was heavily influenced by Jimmy. You can count me as another on the long list of those who got started with photos due to his influence.

He was a great guy, but we had not spoken in a while up until recently. He recently wrote me and I am a bit shocked to hear of his passing to be honest.

I am really struggling to find the right words to describe him, so I will echo the sentiments of Ben, David, Graig, and all the rest on what a good guy he was and how he will be missed.

Rip buddy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 12-27-2017, 11:42 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:

Your friend,

-The Dude-
Very nicely put Ben. I'm very sorry for your loss.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:

Your friend,

-The Dude-
Ben,
That truly is a beautiful tribute to Jimmy.
Thanks for sharing that & I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:52 PM
Clint

Don’t believe I had any personal dealings with Jimmy but he will be sorely missed. It’s always tough to lose such a tremendous person that happened to share our passion for collecting.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:23 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
More sad news in a sad year for Net54. Jimmy was awesome, he pepped up this forum more than anyone who has ever been a member. I was so excited when I saw he came back here a few months back. RIP Jimmy.
^^^^
Thank you Al, Dan and Scott but he was truly a loss for everyone he touched. Even if you had it out with Jimmy, you were probably in the wrong so he hopefully taught you something. Some on here are unaware of his influence who are new. As Dan mentioned, Jimmy was an influential poster.. maybe the most. If you look at his posts in the day.. he was very passionate and creative. To this day there are may "copycat" posts he started.
Anyway... as The great Kreindler stated.. as cheesy and cliché as it may be, the world is a lesser place without a Jimmy Catanzaro. It is everyone's loss.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 12-27-2017, 02:49 PM

Such fitting tributes here!

Rest in peace, Jimmy.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:53 PM
Belltown Vintage

Very, very sad to hear this news. Condolensces to Ben and others who were close friends with Jimmy. Jimmy twice sent me encouraging notes regarding my son, back in 2012. Very caring guy who I never had the fortune to meet, but I saved his notes because with all the dysfunction on the internet, he was a great human touch that helped keep things in perspective.

"Also, it seems, by the vibe I've gotten from your posts over the last few weeks, that you really seem like you're much at ease. I truly hope that that is due to your Son doing much better, Scott.

All good things, sincerely, Jimmy"
Old 12-27-2017, 07:20 PM
K3v1n Stru55

So sad to hear this. I have known Jimmy since 2002 or so and every deal that we ever did was on a handshake. I knew that he was not in good health, but I had no idea...

Thoughts and prayers out to his family and friends.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:47 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I'm very sad to hear this news. I knew Jimmy was struggling with multiple health issues, but had no idea it was that far advanced.

He and I traded a few times, and he was a pillar of honesty, integrity, and generosity. Occasionally we would send each other cool pieces just as a surprise. He knew I liked Tony Perez, and sent me some killer early-career photos. No money was ever exchanged and nothing was expected in return (although he and I always reciprocated in some fashion).

Jimmy truly appreciated the good stuff, and had impeccable taste. He was an innovator, and was well ahead of his time when it came to Original Photos. And I agree with Scott... Net54 has never been the same since he departed. He created so many thought-provoking posts, and was the very best at getting other collectors involved and engaged. Jimmy was just a stellar human being.

RIP

Last edited by perezfan; 12-28-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:01 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Jimmy and I had a brief interaction this summer when he commented on my Babe Ruth Type 1 Thread. While many saw his post as antagonistic at the time, he kindly messaged me via PM and continued to give me advice as well as exchange contact information should I ever need any advice. I never had the chance to truly pick his brain and wish I had as he seemed very knowledgeable, and even better... a great person.

RIP.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:04 PM
Rob

It kinda blows my mind that Jimmy had recently won at least $10,000 worth of Beatles stuff on ebay that he will never get to enjoy. His Beatles collection must be unbelievable.

If anyone is able to post pictures of Jimmy's Beatles treasures, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one interested in seeing them. I don't think Leon would mind, either.

Condolences to those who knew and loved Jimmy.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:11 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
If anyone is able to post pictures of Jimmy's Beatles treasures, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one interested in seeing them. I don't think Leon would mind, either.
http://sportscollectorsdaily.ning.co...=2xuiqhl7zwhto
Old 12-28-2017, 09:17 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities View Post
Thank you. This is going to be great to go through.....I appreciate collections of ANYTHING!
Old 12-30-2017, 12:15 AM

I echo everything positive Ben said as his comments are spot on and very moving. Like many others on here, I have known Jimmy for a long time and he is also one of the reasons I got into photos on a large scale. In many ways, he shaped the focus of my interests in vintage photography and I dont think RMY Auctions would exist without him. He helped build the industry that is now so popular among thousands of collectors and he deserves a ton of credit. We spoke often, at least every other month, for several years about all sorts of stuff but he loved to talk about Gehrig and the Beatles. He told me the same story about a Gehrig telegram he owned at least five times, but I liked hearing it every time because he was so passionate about the things he loved. I always knew when I saw his number on my phone that the conversation was going to be enjoyable, but long, so I had to make sure I set aside at least thirty minutes I literally JUST learned of this news and it really blows me away. He would speak to me every time I talked to him about his health, but I never knew it was this bad. He was a great guy and it is somewhat comforting to know that he is free of pain and the chronic ailments that limited his life in so many ways. The collectible world is a better place because of Jimmy and he will truly, truly be missed!

Rhys