NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Default Question about a Damaged Card (during Shipping) SGC

Posted By: Joe Jones

I recently purchased a T222 card in a SGC slab. When shipped the card slid down in the holder and is stuck. When the card shifted a piece of the corner cracked and came off. The question is..........does anyone have any experience with this happening? Will SGC buy the card back?

Thank You

Old 08-17-2006, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

I would contact sgc. They are usually pretty good about handling this type of issue. However, I doubt they will buy the card back from you. They will most likely offer you something to compensate for loss of value - though the piece that came off is so small, Im not sure it actually changes the grade or value by much.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Ouch. I have had this happen with PSA but the card was not damaged. I have not had this problem with SGC.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

If you resubmit the card to SGC the grade will be lowered due to the broken corner. The reason I know this is because a friend of mine purchased a T200 at the National and submitted it for grading. There was one corner that was bent and it appeared to be "loose". SGC indicated that the card would be removed and reholdered with a lower grade if the corner fell off during the encapsulation process. I suppose this only makes sense.

I'm pretty sure SGC will not buy back the card as it appears the damage occurred after the card was graded. BTW, that is one of my favorite T222s.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

T222's are so fragile that they might be one of the few issues that I would rather have slabbed by PSA - having some room to "float" without getting damaged might be better for them.

If you contact SGC I'm sure they will work it out with you - keep us updated.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Fred,

I suppose the size of the corner piece that fell off would be relevant. In this case, its such a small chip of the corner, Im really not so sure that there would be any downgrade.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

I mentioned this to Joe already, but I purchased a T222 which was also graded at the national. When it arrived through the mail, the card had slipped behind the black plastic frame by at least 1-1.5"

Luckily, I was able to tap it back into place without any damage to the card, but it looks like SGC may have not used the right sized (thickness) holders?

Old 08-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

Richard, I've had the same problem with several of my T222s as you and had the same results tapping it back into place without damage (luckily).

Old 08-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

I agree with everyone else that SGC will probably not compensate you, beyond some free grading submissions (maybe). I also think that a missing piece of a corner, no matter how small, reduces a SGC 40 to a 30, and perhaps even to a 20.

That hurts, sorry that happened to you.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

I have never had this problem with any other sgc graded cards. Is it a problem due to the thickness of the card stock itself?

If SGC were to offer to fix the problem, I would be apprehensive about shipping the card and possibly having it slip again.

Old 08-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

I saw this ebay auction and I thought it applied to this thread. This card has a corner off and it has an overall nice appearance. I would guess that it could possibly grade higher with the corner intact.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1913-Fatima-T200-New-York-Nationals-SGC-30-GOOD-2_W0QQitemZ120025091209QQihZ002QQcategoryZ57993QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 08-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

Contact them and I am quite sure they will do the right thing. They do have a problem with their slabs and very thin card stock. I submitted a group of Mello-Mints once that are also very thin, the first batch was floating around everywhere, I told them of the problem and the next group were double gasketed and move nowhere.

Scott