NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-02-2003, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Default Verkman's new catalogue

Posted By: Julie

is full of W 514s. Glad i found it first, or nobody else was interested. Bought the Weaver and the Gandil (all I needed); I have full return priviledges--but IMMEDIATELY, not a week after I get them (which won't be for about a week).

The Weaver is graded ex, and cost $600 (following catalogue); the Gandil LOOKS ex-mint, and cost $270 ( about half way between ex and near mint in catalogue). If I think differently, as I said, I can return them.

Old 04-02-2003, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I know folks have a lot of complaints about Verkman, and I've had some bad experiences too. But he is always happy to send you high quality scans on request. He just sent me scans of four of his R346 Blue Tints (not old enough for most of you, I know) from his new catalog, and I'm buying them.

Paul

Old 04-02-2003, 08:57 PM
Administrator

because when I asked about the Weaver and the Gandil yesterday, and asked for scans, he said no scans unless I promised to buy, because they were "so busy." He said, "You'll see them in a week, anyway, and you can decide for sure then." Since I didn't see any sense in giving him a credit card number and then asking for the scans, I agreed to wait until the cards arrived to decide.

I'd had one bad and one good experience with Verkman. The good one was an M101-2 Jackson, which Mark said was exactly as advertised; the bad one was a trimmed Goudey.

Old 04-03-2003, 05:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Ya'll all know the story I had from the National, about Steve Verkman, last year so I wont re-hash that. I did actually call Steve recently to inquire about a D359 he has in his new catalogue. I called in on Friday and he called back yesterday. He said he did have the card and proceeded to describe it to me in full detail. He said it was cut close at the top but absolutely measured correctly. Since I have a few of the D359's already I know this to be the case with a lot of them. I asked about the back (ya'll know I like those backs) and he said there was some paper damage in the middle, about the size of a stamp hinge?, but not too bad. So far in my collection most of the cards that have any back damage, that affects the writing, I have either replaced or are on my list to be replaced. That was pretty much a show stopper for me but I went ahead and asked the price. He said he was asking $650 but would take $600. I thought the price was a little high but will let ya'll make your own decision on that. Regardless, Steve was very nice, and professional, and I appreciated the call back. best regards

Old 04-03-2003, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

5-6 purchases from him. First one was (6) T3's at the East Coast National Rothstein show about 8 years ago. That was a GREAT deal as I got a Collins in EXMT and some other commons in EX for about $600-$800 total. Other IN PERSON purchases have always been fine. He'll generally take little more than 10% off but if it's something you need, that's usually enough to seal the deal. The good thing about his stuff is he breaks a lot of sets like exhibits and other things I collect. Just can't afford or bring myself to buy sets from Lipset and Mastronet when I only need 15-20 cards. I've won 2-3 things from his auctions and those have been very good deals. He had a PM1 ornate pin of Marquard that in his catalog was listed at like $1500 I think (uncataloged supposedly) and when it went in his auction, I think I got it in the $400-$500 range. Also picked up an EX condtion OJ for about $160 or so. Anyway, in person, things are fine. Overall I've had positive dealings with him.

Old 04-04-2003, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Julie,

Sorry to hear about his refusal to send you scans. This was the fourth or fifth time I asked for scans. I got them each time, and every other time I had decided NOT to purchase the cards, so I can't imagine I'm on his "A" list. There were a couple of times that it took 2-3 days, but this was always for catalog items, not ebay auctions with a deadline coming up. Maybe it's all random.

Paul

Old 04-04-2003, 08:49 PM
Administrator

I called and left a message on saturday; no one called on Monday, so I called. A girl answered and said she didn't have access to the cards, but someone would call me bcak. Then, I think, I called again, and left another message. Verkman himself called me back (this was, as far as I know, the first Monday his catalogue was available). That's when i was told they were just too busy--he said, specifically, no one had asked about the two cards i was interested in, but they were just getting too many calls about all sorts of stuff. He did NOT suggest holding the cards for a day, till things quieted down, and then sending scans. By the way, that trimmed Goudey--I never returned it. It must have been a month after I bought it that Mark M. was over, and looking at it, said it was trimmed, which he then demonstrated by holding a number of my Goudeys and it together betweeen two fingers--and the verkman one always fell away.

So as far he knows, I'm a satisfied customer...it'll be a hassle returning one or both if I'm not satisfied...

Old 04-05-2003, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

You won't get to see it unless you agree to buy it first? Reminds me of an argument I had with a shopkeeper in Paris who refused to let me sit in a chair in the store unless my girlfriend bought something. One "American Salute" later, we were out of there.

No wonder Verkman doesn't get the "respect" he thinks he deserves in the Hobby.

Old 04-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Administrator

The Weaver is at least ex (looks like John Cusak, but, oh well. At least he's laughing, which Buck did a lot). The Gandil is fine except there's too much of it on the right, where it was torn from its neighbor. I'd like to take a scissors and..but then there'd be one 1919 edge, and one 2003 edge, which ewouldn't look right...He said he was sending them UPS ground--for one thing, our regular mailman brought them, and for another, since when does UPS cross the country between Tuesday and Saturday?

Old 04-08-2003, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Deadballera

Two more Black Sox gone from the catalog. I thought someone else would have grabbed these sooner.

No problem on getting the scans when requested. So far no troubles in terms of the customer service.

Julie...great pickup on the Weaver and Gandil.

Old 04-08-2003, 09:55 PM
Administrator

and me he won't give any scans! Cards were O.K. though.