NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-12-2015, 07:36 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Default near completion bordem?

just curious as to what other collectors do when they "hit the wall" on their collection. I have knocked out the 52 set, which was always a dream as a kid, and have completed all of my player sets, some several times over. i usually stick to high grade material and other than a few cards that i need, which rarely come up, i feel i've hit the wall.

i am a lil ocd, so recently have focused on organization and eliminating things that really don't go with the collection and to free up a lil space in my storage room the last couple months.

recently purchased a decent scanner and currently about halfway thru doing decent scans of both front and back but even that can get a little monotonous and have started to slow down because not sure what to do when i cross that finish line.

i don't necessarily want to start another project that i'm not really committed to, but curious if other collectors have hit this stalemate and what they decided to pursue....

i'll be honest, not into the new shiny stuff, mostly pre80's but the monster does intrigue me a little...

Last edited by begsu1013; 04-12-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:53 PM
Sean Costello

Go with T206, or at least a subset:

A particular team;
HOFs;
Player back run.

Let us know more about your interests and we can be more specific.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:10 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

i was born in 77, so am really into the guys i got to see play growing up. ryan, rose, henderson, niekro, etc. and while i didn't get to seem him play, naturally i am into mantle. usually stick to the basic topps cards as not really into all the mass produced stuff that popped up mid 80s. but have completed all my favorite player sets both in topps/opc and even every year of cello's w/ said player's basic card on front.

grew up a military brat and moved around a bunch, so really don't have a "home" team. i simply enjoy baseball and collecting as a whole...

i'd love to hear what other collectors have done in this situation or even what has drawn them to the monster...
Old 04-12-2015, 08:37 PM
Christ0pher C@ssidy

Take a little bit of time to read some books on the pre-War era. Maybe you will find a thread that inspires you to pursue your next collecting project.

Even if you've never seen the legends of that period play, you may find that a certain player or set piques your interest as you become more and more familiar with some of the history associated with the game of baseball during that time period.

Just a thought...
Old 04-12-2015, 08:53 PM
Bob B.

Read "The Glory of Their Times" (Lawrence Ritter) and I guarantee you'll find a new collecting interest.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:33 PM

Default T206

trust me on this....there are so so many ways to collect it!! email me with any questions

peace

johnny
Old 04-12-2015, 09:35 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Try a more challenging set or collection, one where the cards simply don't come up very often and forces you to go slow and be patient. Very rewarding when you are able to finally add that new item after a long time searching.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:53 PM

I tried so many different things over the years. Signed T206s, 1933 DeLong set, 1933 Tattoo Orbit set, Class of 1936 type cards, etc. However, I really asked myself the question....who cares what other collectors like, what do I love? The answer came pretty quickly. I love the Baltimore Orioles....always have, always will. Collect the player or team you love. It really has been a wonderful (and relatively affordable) adventure.

James
Old 04-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Try a more challenging set or collection, one where the cards simply don't come up very often and forces you to go slow and be patient. Very rewarding when you are able to finally add that new item after a long time searching.
bicem,

the "sets" i do have started and near completed are items that don't come up very often. kinda the problem. take for instance my mantle set....

HTML Code:
mantle set

it's not too often that a 59 or 62 mantle in psa 9 (or even an eye worthy 8, really) surface...

i'm kinda looking for suggestions on what others have done in these times or something to peak my interest that is sorta readily available but something intriguing/historically significant in regards to the game.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:13 PM
Luke Lyon

I think I'd make a list of like 50 (or any arbitrary number) t206 poses you like the best and go after those (but then again I have no interest in post-war and my suggestion probably isn't likely to be helpful). If you did that, the nice thing is you can sell t206 really easily if you change your mind. I wouldn't really recommend trying the set unless you're just completely in love with it and have a bunch of disposable cash lying around. But there are so many cool, affordable cards in the set that it would be fun and easy to start a small collection of them and see where it goes.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:15 PM
Matt

In a word:

RUTH.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:00 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post

i'm kinda looking for suggestions on what others have done in these times or something to peak my interest that is sorta readily available but something intriguing/historically significant in regards to the game.
That's my problem, anything readily available doesn't peak my interest nor is it intriguing to me.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:06 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
I tried so many different things over the years. Signed T206s, 1933 DeLong set, 1933 Tattoo Orbit set, Class of 1936 type cards, etc. However, I really asked myself the question....who cares what other collectors like, what do I love? The answer came pretty quickly. I love the Baltimore Orioles....always have, always will. Collect the player or team you love. It really has been a wonderful (and relatively affordable) adventure.

James
James nailed it here...you have to reach from within and find what really makes you tick. I am currently collecting T206's and had to take on another set to go along with it because I knew it would take me a while to complete it and I didn't want to get bored or/and discouraged. I would check out oldcardboard.com and sift through the different card types and see if any jump out at you...some good stuff here: http://www.oldcardboard.com/ref/galleries.asp

You may be well aware of old cardboard and what it has to offer, but I thought I'd at least throw it out there. Good luck on your next venture, I'm sure you'll grab ahold of something soon!
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 04-13-2015, 02:44 AM

I never liked T206 or the mental gymnastics of folks trying to spin they have a complete set when they don't. In short, I don't like trying for sets I can't complete. Collecting is meant to be fun, an enjoyable relief from life. If the 1952 set is beginning to be a chore, why not just sell it and spend the funds on a card or another set that will be meaningful or enjoyable? Don't fall back on T206 (or any other set) because the rest of the hobby likes it. Take some time and pick what YOU want and go from there.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:33 AM
Mic.hel.le. Plo.ur.de

Have you considered any game used items? A bat and/or jersey of your favorite players?
Old 04-13-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post

i'd love to hear what other collectors have done in this situation or even what has drawn them to the monster...
If you are done with all the basic Topps sets, you can go after the insert sets. From 61-71 Topps instead posters, coins, stickers, ect in packs. You can work on doing Topps test sets. You can do Bowman, Play Ball, Goudey, t cards, e cards, n cards, etc. You may have hit a wall, but like a runner, you keep going and get a second wind.

After I worked thru the various Topps sets that I wanted to do, I moved on to a Bowman run 48-55, then did a Play Ball set, 1941, a Goudey set, 1933, t206 and n29 and I am now working on t205. Collecting is a lifetime race. Just research, find something you like, and keep going.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:56 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

I typically have 4-6 sets working at a time. For me, that's the magic number to where it's still manageable but I never get bored. I'll focus on one for a while, then shift to another when I hit a wall with that one. Once I finish one, then I'll start another and just keep them rolling like that.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:02 PM

Default T206 Wagner

Bob,
Why not collect the T206s and start off with a T206 Wagner that happens to be available in Robert Edward Auctions. I'ts a great start to the Monster. Why not ?

Last edited by Jewish-collector; 04-13-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:17 PM

Another thing to consider is to collect type sets.. I do...although not to the scale and depth that others here have done...(like Leon!). Cool thing about collecting by type is you can change it around to fit your own criteria (pre war, E cards only, Topps only etc...by portraits, HOF, by team....).

Ricky Y
Old 04-13-2015, 12:27 PM
Dave

How about buying 2-3 hobby boxes of your favorite year of Topps Heritage, bust open some packs and build a set? If you haven't opened packs in a while, it's still magical.

Or look at football, or hockey, or Big Bang Theory cards
Successful transactions with: polakoff, Paul S, xplainer, marvymelvin, lordstan, Thromdog, pow323, Golfcollector, OldJudge, frankbmd, kamikidEFFL, jcc6252, sam majors, t206fix, brian29575, bbsports, jfkheat
Old 04-13-2015, 01:17 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Bob,
Why not collect the T206s and start off with a T206 Wagner that happens to be available in Robert Edward Auctions. I'ts a great start to the Monster. Why not ?
pfft - only PSA 3.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 04-13-2015, 01:25 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
I never liked T206 or the mental gymnastics of folks trying to spin they have a complete set when they don't. In short, I don't like trying for sets I can't complete. Collecting is meant to be fun, an enjoyable relief from life. If the 1952 set is beginning to be a chore, why not just sell it and spend the funds on a card or another set that will be meaningful or enjoyable? Don't fall back on T206 (or any other set) because the rest of the hobby likes it. Take some time and pick what YOU want and go from there.
James, do you find lots of people really do "mental gymnastics" to say they have a complete set? I've been collecting the set for 20+ years know tons of fellow T206 set collectors. To date I haven't run across anyone really trying to spin that they have a complete set if its missing cards.

Everything gets boring or slow at some point, the secret is variety a little obit of everything. This IMO will allow you to hop from one to the other as one slows down.

Last edited by wonkaticket; 04-13-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
James, do you find lots of people really do "mental gymnastics" to say they have a complete set? I've been collecting the set for 20+ years know tons of fellow T206 set collectors. To date I haven't run across anyone really trying to spin that they have a complete set if its missing cards.

Everything gets boring or slow at some point, the secret is variety a little obit of everything. This IMO will allow you to hop from one to the other as one slows down.
Maybe the "mental gymnastics" statement is harsh. I have met a handful of folks who have told me they have a complete T206 set just minus the "Big Four". I'll always be polite to them but it's just not a complete set. What really stopped me from seriously pursuing T206 is that it is so unattainable.

Last edited by Orioles1954; 04-13-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:11 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Yeah I've heard that as well. I think this comes from one of the old Krause books which said something to the "effect of it's considered by many to be complete minus the big 4."

Most likely folks just repeating something they heard or read. Not me I'm down to needing 2 before I'm done...may never finish and that's ok.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:08 PM
Al Richter

Default 1952

You could make your 52 set into a master set. Of course there is no full consensus on what constitutes a master set. Still, that's part of the fun in pursuing it
Old 04-13-2015, 07:08 PM
Dave

Pick up a copy of Classic Baseball Cards by Frank Slocum. The book has some great pictures of vintage cards. Something might pop out at you for a new set or player collection to work on.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:21 PM
Christ0pher C@ssidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEnglishD View Post
How about buying 2-3 hobby boxes of your favorite year of Topps Heritage, bust open some packs and build a set? If you haven't opened packs in a while, it's still magical.

Or look at football, or hockey, or Big Bang Theory cards
Hey, don't dismiss those Big Bang Theory collector card sets. The high numbers and short prints in a few of those can be a real challenge and a whole lot of fun to collect. And don't even get me started about those error cards!

Last edited by BlueDevil89; 04-14-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:24 PM
Ted

Do you have a display system? Cabinet, shelves, frames? Try spending some time on how you show off your favories (even just for yourself). Or... Sell it all and buy a boat. If you have trouble justifying liquidating, then you probably still really like doing it. If you still like doing it, then I suggest provenance pieces. Items with documented history can be exciting because of where they came from and who owned them. Just some thoughts.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:59 PM

If you want a challenge try baseball Press Pins!
Old 04-25-2015, 05:16 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo_450 View Post
Do you have a display system? Cabinet, shelves, frames? Try spending some time on how you show off your favories (even just for yourself). Or... Sell it all and buy a boat. If you have trouble justifying liquidating, then you probably still really like doing it. If you still like doing it, then I suggest provenance pieces. Items with documented history can be exciting because of where they came from and who owned them. Just some thoughts.
theo,

i did sell off my #7 pete rose set recently, but still own the #4 set...primarily let it go to free up some space. but other than that, i don't really sell much. as for display purposes, i've never really been the one to display my items. not sure why, but i do dig looking at other guys' displays and the work and effort that goes into them. i have a simple little fortified closet that's organized to the t and pretty content with it.

and just want to reiterate, that i'm not necessarily bored with what i have, in fact, it's quite the opposite. i love my collection, it's more along the lines of the items i need to complete them hardly ever come up either grade wise or eye appeal for the price wise...

still haven't found that new project i'm fully dedicated to just yet, i did just buy my first t206 that i've had my eye on, a lil local card....who knows what it might lead to:

Last edited by begsu1013; 04-25-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:20 PM

Default Bob....

Great pick up!! that looks way better than a 3!~
Old 04-27-2015, 08:09 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Yeah I've heard that as well. I think this comes from one of the old Krause books which said something to the "effect of it's considered by many to be complete minus the big 4."

Most likely folks just repeating something they heard or read. Not me I'm down to needing 2 before I'm done...may never finish and that's ok.
Hey John just curious which two you're missing from your set ? I presume Wagner is one of them. And probably the Magie.

Or are those the two that you're missing ?

I agree with the notion that a 520 card set is NOT a complete set. Though I've seen it labeled as that and if you get the BIG FOUR it is then noted as you owning the "Master Set".
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 07-20-2015, 10:57 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

slowly figured out what i wanted to do...didn't hit me all at once, but here's a link as i wanted to keep it in the proper forum...

i do appreciate everyone's input and suggestions

http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=208982

thanks again guys!!!

-Bob

Last edited by begsu1013; 07-20-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:35 AM

Default Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbvc View Post
Read "The Glory of Their Times" (Lawrence Ritter) and I guarantee you'll find a new collecting interest.
If you like this book, try listening to the Audible books option. The original taped interviews were digitized and turned into an audio book and contain information not in the printed version.

The audible book adds depth to the interview...ie hearing Rube Marquard tell how he ran away from home and hitch hiked by jumping trains to make his first attempt at playing ball. How some firemen befriended him at his destination when he had no food and years later came back and met them again. Or what a joker Chief Bender was putting the sacred Indian stones on the desk of the Giants GM....or Sam Crawford telling his version of the Cobb stories; Or Merkle and his version of the play which became known as The Boner. You just cant pick up the little things on how intelligent he actually was unless you actually hear him speak.

It is difficult to convey the depth and passion all these players had for Baseball just by reading the words.....but to hear the emotions adds that extra descriptive element which is so hard to capture in any other form.

Z
Old 07-24-2015, 04:50 PM
Arnie

Find some different and a little unusual things to collect.

For instance, I started collecting pitchers who Mickey Mantle hit home runs off of, and also Jewish sports figures in ALL sports.