NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-21-2015, 11:36 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Default Vintage vs. Antique

I was trying to explain to someone how, when and why these terms are used in our hobby and how they seem to differ from other collectibles. For example, how a 1930's toy is generally called an "antique", but a '30's card is called "vintage". She asked if there are any "antique baseball cards" and I balked. The conversation had gotten to a point where even I wasn't quite sure anymore. A dealer once told me that vintage is 50-100 years old and antique is anything older than that, but even that doesn't seem applicable across the board.

Does anyone use a more concrete distinction between the two terms?
Old 04-21-2015, 11:44 AM
Anthony Rodriguez

This is what i think are differences between the two:

Antique vs Vintage

Antique and vintage refers to a rare collection of items that are hundreds of years old and which are unique. One can come across antique jewelry, potteries and a lot of other things. There are vintage cars, wines and a lot more. Though the two refer to old collectibles, it is a bit difficult to make out a difference between the two.

Antique is often referred to things that are collected because of its rarity, age, beauty and its unique features. Antiques are objects that show uniqueness in their craftsmanship, design and other features. Vintage means a certain thing or object that is unique and the best of its kind in a particular period.

There has always be a controversy regarding which item should be called antique and which one should be called vintage. When looking at this example, the deviation between antique and vintage can be more specific. A horse- drawn wagon of the 1800s is considered to be antique, as it is only a remnant of the glorious past. But a restored 1957 Chevrolet is a vintage car, as it relates to a specific car of a specific period and which has a lot of collectors even today.

There is still a controversy regarding antique objects. Some say that objects that are 100 years old can be called as antique but some say objects that are 50 years old can be termed as antique.

When talking of Vintage, the term is widely related to wines. Vintage has come from the French word, vendage, which means grapes picked during a particular season. An Antique comes from the Latin word, antiquus, which means old.

So, in summary:

1.Antique and vintage refers to rare collection of items that are hundreds of years old and which are unique.

2.Antique is often referred to things that are collected because of its age, rarity, beauty and its unique features. Vintage means a certain thing or object that is unique and the best of its kind in a particular period.

3.Some say that objects that are 100 years old can be called as antique but some say objects that are 50 years old can be termed as antique.

4.Vintage is a term that is widely related to wines.

5.Vintage has come from the French word, vendage, which means grapes picked during a particular season. A Antique comes from the Latin word, antiquus, which means old.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:46 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

This board's use of 'vintage' as applying to Pre-WWI cards is abnormal. 99% of antique collectors would say most of the card talked about on this board are antique. T206s, after all, are over 100 years old.

In general, antique usually means 75 or 100 years or older. And, besides, if something is from 1940, whether you call it antique or vintage is no big deal-- as you know it's 75 years old.

Last edited by drcy; 04-21-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:52 PM
Banned

they both just generally mean very old

Last edited by travrosty; 04-21-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:18 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default vintage

is titillating to the younger generation while antique appeals to the older collector. As noted above - the term antique is defined by a specific age when used in it's correct form depending on the venue. My experience in the marketplace id that I just figure the seller's talking about not new........
Old 04-22-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
This board's use of 'vintage' as applying to Pre-WWI cards is abnormal. 99% of antique collectors would say most of the card talked about on this board are antique. T206s, after all, are over 100 years old.

In general, antique usually means 75 or 100 years or older. And, besides, if something is from 1940, whether you call it antique or vintage is no big deal-- as you know it's 75 years old.
People refer to 1979 Topps as vintage. Someone on the basketball board called 1986/7 Fleer vintage. In light of that, Pre WW2 cards should be antique vs. 48-69 Topps and Bowman as vintage.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:57 AM
Eric
Eric

Default Antique vs vintage

My grandparents collected antiques.
I like to collect vintage.
Probably many of the same items, I just like the terminology better
Old 04-22-2015, 09:20 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
they both just generally mean very old
I'm guessing that puts me in both categories...but I still try to find collectibles older than me...not sure what's making my searches take longer these days: the items searched or the search engine I was born with...definitely need an upgrade.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 04-22-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:21 AM
Belltown Vintage

As David pointed out, 'antique' is an easy one;however, 'vintage' is used in a lot of ways by sellers and collectors of a lot of different things (including wine) - most usages being erroneous - so it was difficult to even find a useful definition of the word (that didn't relate to wine).

The best I found for our purposes (from Merriam-Webster): "a period in which something was made or was begun". The problem with its usage generally comes with antiques - you'll see ebay sellers calling something 'vintage' clothing when they really mean 'almost antique', 'almost' being such a variable period as to be useless. Since vintage refers to an actual time period, using the word without indicating a time period as well, is a waste of time. Also, you could say 'vintage 1960s' and be talking about an item that LOOKS like something made during that period, but was actually made last week in China.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:41 AM
Jason S!m@nds

I've always considered antiques to be items from the Antiquity; so by default, nothing related to baseball can be an antique.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:50 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Antiquities is something different. Antiquity means Ancient Greece and Rome, etc. George Washington's walking stick would be too modern for antiquity.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:12 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Antiquity means Ancient Greece and Rome, etc. George Washington's walking stick would be too modern for antiquity.
All true, but I wouldn't really consider George Washington's walking stick an antique either.

I could be mistaken, but I consider antiquity to begin sometime before the middle ages. Those are antiques (ie. from the Antiquity).

Edited to add: I looked up Antiquity and found a similar definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiquity

Last edited by jhs5120; 04-22-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:17 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

In the end, if someone wants to call his Goudeys or 1915 Cracker Jacks vintage or antique it's no big deal to me. But antique and antiquity are two different things.

Last edited by drcy; 04-22-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:07 PM
Eric Perry

I believe the term, "antique" used to refer to an item made before 1830.

More recently, the definition has been modified and generally refers to an item 100+ years old.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
All true, but I wouldn't really consider George Washington's walking stick an antique either.

I could be mistaken, but I consider antiquity to begin sometime before the middle ages. Those are antiques (ie. from the Antiquity).

Edited to add: I looked up Antiquity and found a similar definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiquity
Antique = more than 100 years old
Antiquity = before the middle ages
Old 04-22-2015, 02:57 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
I agree, it sounds slightly off, but not more than calling it vintage
How about "historical artifact"?
Old 04-23-2015, 10:18 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I believe the term, "antique" used to refer to an item made before 1830.

More recently, the definition has been modified and generally refers to an item 100+ years old.
That probably occurred in 1931.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:22 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Its simple. Anything around 25 years or older is "vintage". Once something is 100 years old or older it is "antique". Since time immemorial in collecting the term antique refers to any item that's at least 100 years old. Nothing more, nothing less.