NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-26-2005, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Default Morgan Stationery - Red Belt PCs question

Posted By: Glen V

The Red Belt postcards have images taken of the Reds around 1907. Of all the postcards, only one player (Miller Huggins) is identified. I saw one card where someone had written the players names next to their images. That got me thinking, has anyone identified the players on the Red Belt postcards? It would be nice to know who the players are. Maybe even see them listed in the standard catalog like: In Consultation (Ganzel, Coakley, Lobert)

Old 06-23-2005, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Someone must be interested in which players are on the Red Belts, or at least the challenge of identifying the players. Anyone have some scans to post?

Here's the '07 Reds roster: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1907&t=CIN

Old 06-23-2005, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RobertS

Some are minor leaguers...i believe Toldeo, if memory serves, but i will double-check...

Old 06-27-2005, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

Good topic Glen, I've always wondered myself. This PC issue has really picked up interest over the past couple of years. I used to see them sell for $10-20 apiece, but now they seem to go well over $50 if they're in decent condition. The popularity would really jump too if the player names were identified with the cards, and checklisted in SCD in this manner. I only have one of the cards, so I wouldn't be able to help identify the players, but I'd be interested in knowing who each card features. Hopefully Robert (post above) has some luck.

Old 06-28-2005, 05:19 PM
Administrator

I managed to get some more info on these cards from various old books on postcards and collectibles, as well as through some old fashioned looking at the cards themselves (made difficult by the fact that I only own one of 'em).

The cards were published by Morgan Stationery of Cincinnati and feature mainly Reds players in their ballpark, The Palace of The Fans. However, several cards feature a ballpark that is unidentified (to-date), two feature painted backdrops and one was even taken at Boston's Huntington Avenue Grounds.

I'll provide more on the stadium backgrounds in a separate post, listing the stadium for each card (as enumerated in Tom Crabtree's "Baseball Stadium Postcards" book)

Here goes my first shot at the player identifications--

1) The obvious one (because it is IDed) is Miller Huggins, Reds (two variations exist -- one with stadium background, one with painted backdrop):

Card title: Huggins, Second Baseman Par Excellence
(image from OldCardboard.com -- painted backdrop version)

2) Sam Leever of the Pittsburgh Pirates (included because he was from Goshen, OH, according to one old guide):

Card title: Practise (sic) Makes Perfect
(image from JC's collection site)

3) Hans Lobert, Reds:

Card title: Use Two If Necessary
(image from JC's site)

4) Looks like Miller Huggins -- NEW INFO: PROBABLY PAT MORAN -- in a road uniform:

Card title: It's All In The Game / Noise
(image from JC's site)

5) Not Reds players, likely Toledo players (note the socks are not standard Reds uniform):

Card title: In Consultation
(image from my site, VintageBall.com)

That's all for now. I will try to post the stadium breakdowns later (seven cards IDed as Palace of The Fans, three not identified, and one IDed as Huntington Avenue Grounds).

Old 06-28-2005, 09:05 PM
Administrator

According to Tom Crabtree’s book, here are the cards with ballpark identifications:

Cards set at the Reds ballpark, the Palace Of The Fans:

1) "Huggins, Second Baseman Par Excellence" -- (3rd base stands visible)
2) "Opening Of The Season 1907" – (3rd base stands visible)
3) "Hit & Run" – (photo shot down left field line)
4) "In Consultation" – (mound shot with outfield walls in background)
5) "Practise (sic) Makes Perfect" – (outfield visible)
6) "Out To The Long Green" – (1st base grandstand visible)
7) "A Home Run" – (right centerfield visible)

Card set at Huntington Avenue Grounds:

1) "Safe" – (play at 2nd with infielder leaping

Cards set in unidentified ballpark:

1) "After a High One"
2) "Use Two If Necessary"

Fake backdrop cards:

1) "Its All In The Game / Noise"
2) "Huggins, Second Baseman Par Excellence" -- (alternate version)

Old 06-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Robert - thanks for all the info!