NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Kenny Cole

Default Santo elected to HOF

According to the article on ESPN, he got 15 out of 16 votes. Amazing how much better he got after he died.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:46 AM

Actually what's really amazing is how poorly he was evaluated by HOF voters for so many years.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Santo.jpg (71.6 KB, 431 views)
Old 12-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

Great guy, excellent player, but not a HOFer in my opinion.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Chris Counts

It's great to see Ron Santo in the Hall of Fame, where he unquestionably belongs. There's no doubt he was a Top 10 all-time third baseman — just look at his stats and consider that pitching dominated the era he played in. Now if the Hall of Fame voters can just wrap their minds around Minnie Minoso's statistics and realize he's also a Hall of Famer ...
Old 12-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Alan U

Glad to see Santo got in. As a fairly newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic, I can only imagine what he went thru as a player with the technology available at the time.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Ken McMillan

Awesome. Have met him and his family many times. This is way past due with his career in baseball, announcing and all he did for JDRF. Cubs nation will have a bitter sweet moment as this comes a year too late. Go Cubs go!
Old 12-05-2011, 11:58 AM
TT40391

Default I dont mind his election

I don't mind Santo getting in. There are a ton of others I would put into the hall though. As we have all talked about many time before on the board.

Tony
Old 12-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
It's great to see Ron Santo in the Hall of Fame, where he unquestionably belongs. There's no doubt he was a Top 10 all-time third baseman — just look at his stats and consider that pitching dominated the era he played in. Now if the Hall of Fame voters can just wrap their minds around Minnie Minoso's statistics and realize he's also a Hall of Famer ...
+1 well said!
Old 12-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Bill Hedin

Default The Great Debate!

Hi Peter and all !
We set up at the first Cooperstown card show in 1980 or 1981, and on the ride back to Boston, my employees and I had started a "traveling game" that we still use today, over 30 years later!
One person says a name of a BB great that's not in the Hall of Fame. Then we (the others) take turns saying should be in or out with our reasons. We agree on a few, agree to dis-agree on others, and then there's the category that cvan only be described as " The viscious Fight", lol!
Some of the players that we argue, scream, taunt each other, and o everything short of a fist fight include:
Pee Wee Reese, Gil Hodges, Jim Rice, Bobby Doerr, Gary Carter, and many more! The 4 of us grew up together and we are BB maniacs! We are like 4 brothers, and our HOF game is awesome!
We were horrified about Jim Rice, and didn't understand Bob Doerr.
One weekend at a Randy Thyberg show in Philly, a customer bought a Schmidt Rookie and a Boone rookie from a 1973 set I had broken up. He was talking about the investment potentioal, and was very convinced on a huge pay day on this deal. He then told us that Bob Boobe was the most under-rated catcher in BB and the HOF are idiots for leaving him out. Well, we did not see it his way and told him he was insane!
The point is who gets in and why is a political thing in some cases.
As for Ron Santo, you probably won't find a bigger Santo fan in Boston than me! I loved the guy as a player and announcer and I prayed for him when he got so sick. I love the guy, and for me, I say sure he should go in. I'm biased on the subject.
Sorry for the long thread, but I'm up late in lots of pain and NET 54's my therapy.
The big news is that a fellow board member is traveling near me and is stopping at my house for a visit tomorrow! I am beyond excited!
Have a great week every one!
Your Fiend,
Bill Hedin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Great guy, excellent player, but not a HOFer in my opinion.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh3443 View Post
...He then told us that Bob Boobe was the most under-rated catcher in BB and the HOF are idiots for leaving him out. Well, we did not see it his way and told him he was insane!
lol - Bob Boone is the Phil Niekro/Don Sutton of catchers! Hell, put him in.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Frank Kealoha Ward

he hit over .275, had over 300 HRs and over 2000 hits... plus led the league in WALKS 4 times .....obvious HOFer

NOW you got to let in Garvey, Oliva, Mattingly, Munson, Kluszewski, Colovito, Cash, Minoso, Sain, Hodges, Madlock, Maris, FHoward, Tiant, Staub, RSmith, Kaat, Blue, Foster, Cedeno, Parker, TSimmons, and dozens of other just as good (not great).....

Last edited by fkw; 12-05-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Danny Gr|mes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkw View Post
he hit over .275, had over 300 HRs and over 2000 hits... plus led the league in WALKS 4 times .....obvious HOFer

NOW you got to let in Garvey, Oliva, Mattingly, Munson, Kluszewski, Colovito, Cash, Minoso, Sain, Hodges, Madlock, Maris, FHoward, Tiant, Staub, RSmith, Kaat, Blue, Foster, Cedeno, Parker, TSimmons, and dozens of other just as good (not great).....
sorry i love this this thread kaat should be playing for crappy teams at that giving time period, Maris should be in via mazeroskis' resume. cmon lets feud people

Last edited by refz; 12-05-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Phil Garry

Which Santo items are the BB HOF collectors going after (besides the obvious 1961 Topps RC)?

I jumped the gun a little bit this time and got lucky as Santo was the only one that I pre-bought before this election. I picked up a 1961 Manny's Baseball Land premium on e-bay about a month ago. Not a high dollar item but probably one of Santo's more obscure early pieces.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 12-06-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:28 AM

Default define FAME ...

Is it called "the Hall of Fame if you played long enough"?

Or is it called simply "the Hall of Fame"?

Seems like the first and foremost criteria is FAME, no?

I still don't get the longevity deal - either you were great or not - longevity should just add to your prowess.

Poor Roger Maris - multiple MVP award winner - World Series winner - Owner of the most hallowed single season record in all of sports. Maris just oozes FAME - cannot deny.

Bo Jackson - probably the most famous athlete of his day - TV ads galore, posters galore, every kid wanted his cards. Experts call him the greatest athlete of the past 50 years, maybe greatest ever.

Jim Thorpe got into Football Hall with less of a career than Bo.

Somebody please recognize true FAME and let in these 2 guys.

Who was more famous? Ron Santo, or Maris and Bo?
Old 12-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Ken Wirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Which Santo items are the BB HOF collectors going after (besides the obvious 1961 Topps RC)?
I just picked up his 1964 Topps Giants card. Not valuable of course, but I've never had one of those, and I believe that to be Santo's best season.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:11 PM

-------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 02:53 PM.