NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Alan U

Default If there was no Hall of Fame.....

Santos election to the hall of fame got me thinking... if there was no hall of fame, whose card values would be affected the most.

Pete Rose.. his cards still are highly valued, but I suppose with no Hall of Fame contraversy, his damaged reputation might actually hurt his card values

Joe Jackson.. I would think his cards might be worth less

Marginal HOFers... I would think their values would go down

Any other thoughts?
Old 12-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanu View Post
Santos election to the hall of fame got me thinking... if there was no hall of fame, whose card values would be affected the most.

Pete Rose.. his cards still are highly valued, but I suppose with no Hall of Fame contraversy, his damaged reputation might actually hurt his card values

Joe Jackson.. I would think his cards might be worth less

Marginal HOFers... I would think their values would go down

Any other thoughts?
Phil Niekro and Don Sutton's cards would go down. Oh, wait, never mind.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:17 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I think a lot of the vintage and prewar HOFers who were not top stars would go down because no one would have heard of them. For example, Ray Shalk, Urban Faber, Fred Lindstrom, Travis Jackson, etc, would drop like a rock because nobody would have ever heard of them if they weren't HOFers.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I think a lot of the vintage and prewar HOFers who were not top stars would go down because no one would have heard of them. For example, Ray Shalk, Urban Faber, Fred Lindstrom, Travis Jackson, etc, would drop like a rock because nobody would have ever heard of them if they weren't HOFers.
And you'd see Ed Reulbach's stats and go, "Gee, this guy was great - I'll pay for his card."
Old 12-05-2011, 12:47 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Some go up, some go down

I also think that some of the recent minor stars like Steve Garvey, Dave Parker and Dale Murphy would bump up. Guys like me who grew up remembering how great these guys were in their era would more actively collect them.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Rob Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Agree 100%

Burleigh Grimes, Jesse Haines, Eppa Rixey, Ted Lyons, etc.....
Old 12-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Phil Garry

I think that you guys are right about the marginal HOF'ers collectibles value dropping if there was no Hall, that's pretty much a certainty.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:42 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
I also think that some of the recent minor stars like Steve Garvey, Dave Parker and Dale Murphy would bump up. Guys like me who grew up remembering how great these guys were in their era would more actively collect them.
Supply and demand.. One a player gets into the Hall, his card instantly becomes desirable to a much larger crowd. Supply stays the same/demand goes up.

There's different types of collectors...Set collectors, team collectors, player collectors, star collectors, hof collectors....so on and so on... Currently a player like Garvey is typically only collected by set collectors, Dodgers collectors, star collectors, and other Garvey fans outside of those categories...Hypothetically, pretending all categories of collectors were on even footing. If he were to make the Hall, his collectability would go up by 25%, and I'd say it's safe to assume his value would follow accordingly..

This theory goes out the window with guys like Hodges...Many, many people expect him to get in someday, so he is already speculatively collected by many HOF collectors. Therefore, if he were to get in, his price wouldn't be effected in terms of percentage of value increase by as much..

And percentages may go up with a small market player who unexpectedly get the nod.. Theoretically, let's pretend that Albert Belle or Larry Walker get in someday(I know, just roll with it), the demand for their items would possibly double..
Old 12-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Fred

For you OJ collectors... what would a Bid McPhee N172 be worth if he wasn't in the HOF?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Chris Counts

But if there was no Hall of Fame, what would we debate? Politics? The thought gives me a headache ...
Old 12-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
But if there was no Hall of Fame, what would we debate? Politics? The thought gives me a headache ...
agreed
Old 12-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Alan U

From listening to sports radio today, we would all just discuss the BCS, which gives me a bigger headache