NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-23-2011, 07:54 PM

Default Spalding Ring bat - corked?

Hey guys,
I posted in the pickups thread a group of bats I picked up. The one that intrigues me the most in the group is a Spalding ring bat. The bat is a little over 35 inches long, and when I looked at it at the auction house, I was struck with how light it was. I loved the applied twine grip - its held in place in a few areas wtih period square headed nails. After I won the bat and had a chance to study it closer, first I noticed there were no lathe marks present. Then at closer inspection at the barrell and knob ends, I noticed there is a different look/texture in a circular pattern at the center of both ends. I am more knowledgable in the area of 19th century football, but don't know baseball bats that well. Did they cork bats in the 19th century? If so, how common or rare are these corked bats? This would explain how such a thick handled, solid bat being so light. Also, am I right to date this bat to the 1880's period?
Thanks in advance for any help from the bat guys on here.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Dan Bretta

In the 1907 Fun and Frolic with an Indian Ball Team there is an ad for a baseball bat called the "Pneumatico Baseball Bat"...it was a corked baseball bat..your bat predates the Pneumatico, but I'm guessing corking was not unheard of around the turn of the century.

Great looking bat btw. Congrats.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Clint

Your bat is probably made of willow. I have one that doesn't have the "corked" ends but it is extremely light given the length and size. It's also a Spalding bat.

Great looking bat by the way and good pick up.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:33 PM

Several thoughts. First, great pick up. I would suggest that the bat is actually made out of willow rather than ash or hickory. Willow is very light and Spalding did make bats from willow. I don't know if you have stuck something in the ends of the bat to assure that it is corked but from the pictures the pattern on the ends could be created by the lathe tool cutting away material and then cutting the remaining nub end off with a saw. Not all early bats had the lathe marks in the ends of the bat. Spalding also did make a cord handle ring bat but the ones I have seen smaller cord was used and it didn't run up to the center ring so that may have been added later.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:04 PM

Thanks guys. I didn't realize willow bats were lighter in general. The nub removal theory makes sense in terms of why the ends look that way. In my limited 19th century bat experience, I had only come across bats with the lathe marks; thats why that odd pattern had me wonderning. I haven't tried sticking anything into that center area. Is my dating in the right ball park? 1880s?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Kevin O'Gara

that is probably what the guides say is basswood. very light material.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Ne@l K

Great looking bat!