NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Mike H.

Default Pennant Warning to board members

Mark S. (perezfan) and I believe the attached pennants to be pieced together from multiple parts of others. The piece with the Tigers Head was listed months ago and we spotted it. Now the same seller has another example. Notice the Detroit portion of each are identical. We believe the Tiger head is from a collegiate (Princeton) pennant. While we clearly havn't examined them in person...I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

Looks like this seller is trying to sell his Frankenpennants as vintage originals. If the first pennant were legit...it would be a $4000 piece. As it is now...$4.95.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-fabulous...item27b4b9572e
http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-1935-Det...item27b4b93de2

Last edited by mjkm90; 09-09-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Brock

Thanks for the info Mike. I have been looking at those for days now and something just didn't seem right. The fact that he has two is an immediate red flag. And the dating does not seem to add up. You or Mark would know more than I but it seems odd that the two look so similar given one is dated 1935 and the other is in the style of an oversized pennant from the teens.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Joe Hunter

Default Detroit Pennant

I also saw that 2nd pennant, and I immediately thought it was a University of Detroit college pennant. The font on the "D" did not resemble other early Tigers pennants that I have seen.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:02 AM
Mike H.

Brock, the size is definately consistent with the teens. I have never seen an oversized pennant from the 30s.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Ray Novak

Default Something you might be interested in . . .

After I hit the link Mike provided yesterday to look at the pennant, I logged into eBay. Guess what? The start-up page decided to show me the pennant as something that I might be interested in based on items I had recently looked at! Doesn't look like they have any intention of having this item removed.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:51 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Ebay has gotten pretty good about removing fake autographs. But fraudulent memorabilia is another story. It's a shame that these pennants will likely run their full course. Same goes for all the fake easel-backs, ad signs, broadsides and "fans for a fan".

Plenty of obvious fake memorabilia is making it through with no eBay intervention. It hasn't been as prevalent with Pennants, but another bogus Negro League example recently surfaced as well. So hopefully this is not a sign of things to come for vintage pennant collectors.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

This Ebayer has been selling this garbage for well over a year and has sold dozens of these forged pennants. Unfortunately, he is from my area (Mpls.). I have asked to personally examine one pennant he listed and he adamantly refused. I also asked to meet if I won and pay him in cash, he also refused. These are poorly done and upon close examination, he uses paint or something with no age to it. He generally waits a month or two in between listings so you cannot view his past listings. I have reported him to Ebay, but they refuse to act on it. I don't proclaim to be THE expert on vintage pennants, but I am smarter than the average bear when it come to them. Please spread the word to anyone you might know who would be fooled with this garbage because NOTHING he sells has been authentic. We need to continue to police ourselves as no one else seems to be interested in doing it. Take care, Jason