NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-02-2007, 05:02 AM
Administrator

Default Turkey Red Questions

Posted By: Dave F

I really do love the look of this set. To date, I've yet to ever own one, or even hold one.

A couple quick questions...

Do the "action" cards draw any premium over the individual player cards? Or is it backwards? Do they hold less value?

What about the backs with T3's? Do any hold more of a value, or less? (I guess in my head I'm trying to keep them on the T206 level)

Old 04-02-2007, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Dave,

Player cards will cost more. I believe the checklist w/o the ad back is most rare. There was a poll on this topic not to long ago. Incidentally, I was able to find a poor Mathewson and a very poor Cobb (checklist w/ ad), both raw, for the cost of t206s. If you're a dumpster diver like myself, they are possible- for short money.

Slabbing is pricey though, $55.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

my experience collecting T3's leads me to believe that the horizontal poses no matter what condition , usually sell for more than a regular player card. Could have something to do with the way they were distributed. People who turned in the coupons to receive a card probably were requesting well known players of the day, and the horizontal cards just weren't popular back then.
As far as common players go, I have had a trouble finishing the Pittsburgh players from the T3 set.
not that it's a big secret, but there are a load of decent T3's on ebay right now. they look to be in Good-VG/EX condition, so some of them might actually be affordable for a change.
I'm not sure if the non-checklist back is considered that rare anymore. I have 12 T3's with that back, and 12 with the checklist back.
the boxing cards are often overlooked in this set, and are tougher to find than the baseball players in my experience.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

I guess my original question of are the actions cards worth more....I meant on the level of a "Out at Third" or " A close play at second"...in PSA 1's would they draw more than a Ames PSA 1 or a Schulte PSA 1? It not, I'm a little surprised.

I guess though with these being some of the horizontal's available they would draw a little more value...

Old 04-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Dave,
Generally, yes, the action cards will cost more than a common player in the same condition. However, there are some players that are more difficult to find, and can easily cause them to bring as much or more than the action cards. Some of these are Rhoades, considered the most difficult by many collectors, Myers, and Wilson. There are several others.

Most people have come to realize that the Turkey Red backs are not really that difficult. Although they may sometimes bring a premium, in most cases they shouldn't.

Mark

Old 04-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

I agree w/ Mark's assesment.
The action cards like Safe At Third, Out At Third, Jordan & Herzog, Close Play at Second, Trying To Catch Him Napping, Jack Murray At Bat & Chief Myers At Bat do bring a premium since less are out there.
Other horizontal shots may bring a premium as well albeit a smaller one
like Boss Schmidt & E. Lennox.

There are 5 different backs in the set.
The only one that brings (& deserves) a premium is the very tough
checklist back w/ no ordering information. I have 115 diff T3 & T9's
but only 3 w/ that back.
The ad backs are only issued in the high # series (#77-126) so in essence
they are a bit tougher then the checklist back overall. But as far as the
high series goes many of the players are easier in ad back like Walter
Johnson and some are much tougher in checklist back like Bob Rhodes.
I will pay no premium for a card I need w/ an ad back, and almost half
of all the high #'s I have are ad backs.

Here are a couple of action cards that I just landed this week.

#43 Out At Third

#45 Jordan & Herzog