NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Default Real or Fake: completed auction

Posted By: Miguel

Now that I officially didn't bid on it and lost my chance to do so, I'm wondering what you all think of this Ty Cobb:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5217397234

I have a theory on why this looks real to me (quite apart from the seller's seemingly good record).

I would love to pick up a card of this sort for under $100 if I can learn to pick out a fake by the time the next one rolls around.

What do the experts here think?

Old 07-15-2005, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Moraine

I think it's doctored up to "look authentic". The only way I would have even considered bidding on it, is if it were graded by a major grading company. That way, I would KNOW that I were getting the real thing, and NOT a doctored reprint. Besides, closing bid was $75.00 and change. You ARE NOT going to find an AUTHENTIC T-206 Cobb for $75.00 and change. IF so, let me know when a T-206 Cobb (red, port.) pops up.

Best Regards,

Adam J. Moraine

Old 07-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

I really don't trust them. Why the hell not just take another picture. It's not like your using up film or anything. It just screams out SHENANIGANS! If only we could enforce South Park justice...

--Chad

Old 07-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Old mill back is red. Old mill backs only come in black and brown.

Old 07-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bcornell

Old Mill backs are never red.

Bill

Old 07-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I have gotten a little heat for my annoyance in this area before, so I should say that I applaud all efforts to learn about the authenticity of a card before bidding. You saved $75.00 and should be quite happy about that.

Having said that, if you have the opportunity to purchase a T206 Ty Cobb card on ebay in anything resembling something approximating a complete card (i.e., not half of one, or one with the face sanded off), then it will never... ever.... ever.... and I mean it NEVER will sell for under $100.00. Just doesn't happen. And if it's in a presentable condition, then never.... ever.... EVER.... really, just not EVER sell for under $200.00. Take a few minutes and peruse the history of T206 Ty Cobb sales on ebay and you will see what they sell for. Nothing close to $75.00. Only the fakes go for that, and only because people want to believe that they got the steal of the century.

You will never EVER be able to outwit, outsmart or outluck the thousands -- yes, thousands -- of people who surf for T206 Cobb cards on ebay on a daily and hourly basis. It only takes two people who know what the value of something on ebay to bid it up to the appropriate market level. You will not be getting a steal of a deal on a Ty Cobb card. Period. Full stop.

Now, having said all that there are two principles that follow:

(1) if it's under $100, or even $200, it ain't real. Don't bother. How do I know? Because of simple stuff like the color of the Old Mill back, the seller saying "As Is" or "selling as reprint because not graded" or a fluorescent color with a tea/dirt stained back. That's why no one of any repute bid on the card and that's why the card didn't sell for more.

(2) If it's over $200, that doesn't mean anything either. This is just a one way test -- under $100, don't bother, over $200, well, then you have to continue your research. But I don't even bother clicking into links for Ty Cobb cards where the price isn't over $100 yet. It's a waste of time.

Finally, and this is related in my opinion, you will never find a real Wagner on ebay, unless it is coming from a major auction house.

Old 07-15-2005, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach

This card is no doubt a fake but you said you can never ever pick up a TY Cobb for under $100. In most cases thats true but I found this a few months ago and got it for $102. It was due to crappy images in the auction description but it looked ok so I bid and got the real deal. I guess I outsmarted the thousands ?
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

You can get deals on ebay ,but you really have to know the difference between a scam and a deal.

Old 07-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

Unfortunately, deals like this are extremely rare. And the more typical result is as found in this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5219199384&category=86841&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

By the way, do you have an ebay item # so we can see what we were all missing? I'd be curious to know how you did outsmart/luck the thousands.

Old 07-15-2005, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Not trying to be rude but I can't do that right now. I won the card because of a sloppy picture. To tell you the truth it had almost all of the tell tale signs of a reprint.

Old 07-15-2005, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Howie

Nice pick up!

Old 07-15-2005, 05:34 PM
Administrator

I guess the cats out of the bag then.