NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Steve

Default Mastro pleads guilty

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-...icle-1.1210539

Mastro agrees to plead guilty to fraud...

"Mastro will apparently acknowledge at the February hearing that he altered the world's most valuable trading card..."

Last edited by brass_rat; 11-29-2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: To add quote from article
Old 11-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

it will be interesting to see how David Hall spins this one if it comes to pass.

Mastro will apparently acknowledge at the February hearing that he altered the world's most valuable trading card, a Honus Wagner T206 that has fetched millions of dollars in a series of high-profile transactions, including a 1991 sale for $451,000 to NHL legend Wayne Gretzky and former Los Angeles Kings owner Bruce McNall.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-...#ixzz2DfQSu4Qn
Old 11-29-2012, 07:08 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

What's the penalty for trimming a card and not telling, how about pressing out a crease or soaking off notebook residue? Interesting...
Old 11-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
it will be interesting to see how David Hall spins this one if it comes to pass.

Mastro will apparently acknowledge at the February hearing that he altered the world's most valuable trading card, a Honus Wagner T206 that has fetched millions of dollars in a series of high-profile transactions, including a 1991 sale for $451,000 to NHL legend Wayne Gretzky and former Los Angeles Kings owner Bruce McNall.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-...#ixzz2DfQSu4Qn
Speaking of David Hall and the Wagner, CU stock hasn't been doing too well lately.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=C...rce=undefined;
Old 11-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

And from our own hobby crusader.

"Just when I thought Bill Mastro could not be a more brazen and unrepentant criminal, he's now going to victims of his fraud asking for letters to be read at his sentencing," says New York attorney Jeff Lichtman, a longtime vintage card collector.
"He's claiming that he was indicted due to people with axes to grind. He's delusional."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-...#ixzz2DfWxTsVh
Old 11-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
And from our own hobby crusader.

"Just when I thought Bill Mastro could not be a more brazen and unrepentant criminal, he's now going to victims of his fraud asking for letters to be read at his sentencing," says New York attorney Jeff Lichtman, a longtime vintage card collector.
"He's claiming that he was indicted due to people with axes to grind. He's delusional."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-...#ixzz2DfWxTsVh

Mastro is just asking for three credit references and three PSA Authorized Dealer references so that he can become a PSA Authorized Dealer in February 2018. See link below for full details:

http://www.psacard.com/about/faq.chtml#faqid71
Old 11-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Brian

Who would've thought that Wagner was trimmed?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby View Post
Mastro is just asking for three credit references and three PSA Authorized Dealer references so that he can become a PSA Authorized Dealer in February 2018. See link below for full details:

http://www.psacard.com/about/faq.chtml#faqid71
I am sure PSA would bend the rules like they did for JP Cohen of Memory Lane.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Psa

So, will PSA be indicted as being a part of this fraud?

The options are:

1. They were in cahoots with Mastro.

2. They looked the other way.

3. They are incompetent and can't detect a trimmed card. Even a T206 Wagner.

Not very good choices.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Mastro was long since out of the card when PSA graded it, having sold it in 1987 to Jim Copeland. Although I have heard rumors he was involved with the grading. Agreed they don't seem to have many good options, but another one is just to play ostrich. Or I suppose they could question Mastro's credibility, and suggest he is "admitting" to trimming the card only to avoid more serious charges and more jail time.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-29-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
So, will PSA be indicted as being a part of this fraud?

The options are:

1. They were in cahoots with Mastro.

2. They looked the other way.

3. They are incompetent and can't detect a trimmed card. Even a T206 Wagner.

Not very good choices.

Rick
Rick, wasn't PSA created expressly for the purpose of grading the trimmed Wagner?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Am I reading it right that the statement that he trimmed the Wagner has nothing to do with the fraud?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Curious to see how this unfolds
Old 11-29-2012, 11:20 PM
Banned

interesting to see who is going to put their name out there as a character reference to be read in court.

psa is stuck.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:59 AM
Dan Marke1

Here is an excerpt from the original indictment. As I read it regarding cards, they allegedly misrepresented the sale of the Wagner PSA 8 from a prior time. So I don't believe it was the doctoring of the card itself that's the problem, but marketing the sale of the card at a later date that's the issue.

Another issue is that they allegedly knowingly sold doctored cards and sold them without disclosure of the alterations and advertised that they would not sell cards without disclosure of the alterations. It would be very interesting to know if these cards were professionally graded and to what extent this was a problem and if there will be any way of "recalling" these cards to make restitution to the current owners of these doctored cards.

False Representations Regarding Authenticity and Condition of Items

10. It was further part of the scheme that:
a. The Code of Conduct promulgated by in 2007 made the following representations, among others, regarding Mastro Auctions’ practices concerning disclosure of information that items sold at its auctions had been altered or restored:

i. If Mastro Auctions believed or had knowledge that an item
has been altered in any way, that information would be fully disclosed in the auction catalog.
ii. When, on occasion, Mastro Auctions had items restored in order to improve their presentation, the extent and nature of any restoration would be fully disclosed.
iii.
Under no circumstances would Mastro Auctions have restoration work done on trading cards.
b. After the Code of Conduct was published:
i.
Defendants MASTRO, ALLEN, and others knowingly did not disclose to bidders material information about alterations of items sold by Mastro Auctions.
ii. Defendants MASTRO, ALLEN and others knowingly did not disclose to bidders the extent and nature of restoration work performed on items sold by Mastro Auctions.
iii. Defendants MASTRO and ALLEN, along with others associated with Mastro Auctions, caused restoration work to be done on trading cards sold by Mastro Auctions, and knowingly failed to disclose that work to bidders.
It was further part of the scheme that in marketing materials distributed on behalf of Mastro Auctions, which were intended to portray Mastro Auctions to potential bidders and consignors as a premier seller of valuable items for which a strong market existed, defendant MASTRO represented that Mastro Auctions had sold the most expensive baseball card in the world, a Honus Wagner T-206 card. In making this representation, however, defendant MASTRO knowingly omitted the material fact that defendant MASTRO had altered the baseball card by cutting the sides of the card in a manner that, if disclosed, would have significantly reduced the value of the card.
-

Last edited by WhenItWasAHobby; 11-30-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:56 AM
nels0n aud.et

any possibility of a AUTH re-slab for the wagner By psa ?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:19 AM
Christopher Herman

Should've used BVG. The Wags would never have been able to be broken out of that the titanium holder to prove that it was trimmed.
C.

My needs lists:
W514 strip cards
W515-2 strip cards
Old 11-30-2012, 07:35 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Until he allocutes or the terms of the deal are made public we won't know exactly what he's pleading to, but it is safe to assume it won't be pretty, whatever it is, and likely he traded his plea and cooperating for a lesser sentence.

I suppose Allen and Theotikos are feeling a bit like a Christian Scientist with appendicitis right about now.

Liked Jeff's quote.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

I suppose Allen and Theotikos are feeling a bit like a Christian Scientist with appendicitis right about now.
Damnit. Your quote was better.

Stealing it if I get the chance, just so you know.

Last edited by calvindog; 11-30-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Joe Jesselli

How wonderful to see the juxtaposition of the posts "Mastro pleads guilty" and "Legendary Winners - Part I" today! Isn't it delightful that the head of the company on whose watch these frauds were perpetrated will see little to no jail time! How grand that Mr. Mastro's legacy carries on with his co-defendants running the store! We truly live in the greatest country in the world!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_vezina_c55 View Post
any possibility of a AUTH re-slab for the wagner By psa ?
Well, I don't think there's any other way to go, if he testifies to altering it. Not that many didn't already believe this anyways; but by him not disclosing this earlier, he left a bit of doubt.

I'd love to hear the details, like who else was on the sheet, how many were on the sheet, was it a strip or a sheet, etc.

And, I know that has nothing to do with the fraud. Hopefully whoever was a victim of his fraud gets compensated somehow; restitution.

Sincerely, Clayton

Last edited by teetwoohsix; 11-30-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:59 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
Well, I don't think there's any other way to go, if he testifies to altering it. Not that many didn't already believe this anyways; but by him not disclosing this earlier, he left a bit of doubt.

I'd love to hear the details, like who else was on the sheet, how many were on the sheet, was it a strip or a sheet, etc.

And, I know that has nothing to do with the fraud. Hopefully whoever was a victim of his fraud gets compensated somehow; restitution.

Sincerely, Clayton
I doubt there was a sheet of cards. I don't want to start a bashing thread either way. But I knew Bill and Frank Nagy in the 1970's, 1980s. They set up at the Michigan Plymouth shows together for years. They really were a team. I bought many of my Cobb and Old judge cards from their table. I had some cards that I bought thru some antique dealers and Bill pointed out that they were not real. Bill was/is an expert on vintage cards. There are lot of new collectors piling on that know much less about cards and nothing about Bill. It's unfortunate that he trimmed this card, because it would have been worth a lot of money anyway. Bill brought a lot to the hobby, sorry that he did this to the Wagner. Not sure if ther are any "Oldtimers" on the board that remember Bill as I do. I do expect a lot negative feedback from this post.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13

Last edited by jcmtiger; 12-01-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:46 AM

I don't doubt that he's very knowledgeable about cards. I always assumed that.

Last edited by drc; 12-01-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:24 AM
Bill Cohon

Interesting dilemma, isn't it, to find out that someone who made a positive contribution followed it up with something morally reprehensible? I guess there are people who credit Mastro with guidance and even inspiration. And plenty of others respected him as one of the central figures in card collecting.

Well, all right, no need to reinterpret good deeds.

And yet, the damage he inflicted on the hobby is huge. Desecrating the t206 Wagner is inexcusable. And on top of that, PSA takes serious hit. The only question is whether it is their integrity or competence which is lacking.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:17 AM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamcohon View Post
Interesting dilemma, isn't it, to find out that someone who made a positive contribution followed it up with something morally reprehensible? I guess there are people who credit Mastro with guidance and even inspiration. And plenty of others respected him as one of the central figures in card collecting.

Well, all right, no need to reinterpret good deeds.

And yet, the damage he inflicted on the hobby is huge. Desecrating the t206 Wagner is inexcusable. And on top of that, PSA takes serious hit. The only question is whether it is their integrity or competence which is lacking.
In my opinion it's both. There was a thread started on the Collectors Universe Message Board in April 2005 where someone openly admitted that Mastro would take cards on consignment and doctor them and then have them graded. The thread was immediately deleted by CU. I saved the thread as an HTM file before it was deleted and attempted to attach it as a winzip file to this post but for some reason the winzip attachment is not working. I can forward the thread to someone who is more tech savvy about that stuff if there is any interest.

Last edited by WhenItWasAHobby; 12-01-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:32 AM
Henry Nich.ols

My father used to tell me where their is money to be made watch out.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:57 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Guys, Bill Mastro's crimes in this hobby did not start and end with the trimming of the Wagner card. His fraud was ongoing, systematic and all-encompassing. The great majority of people who bid in a Mastro auction were victims of his fraud.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

My guess is that there are guys out there who made a lot more money by trimming cards than Bill ever did.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
My guess is that there are guys out there who made a lot more money by trimming cards than Bill ever did.
My guess is that there are guys out there who made make a lot more money by trimming cards than Bill ever did.

But that doesn't make any of this fraud right.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Perhaps the only person who should be arrested for fraud in the hobby is the guy who made the most money stealing?

I think Bill and Doug in jail will provide some deterrence for other fraudsters. There are also federal criminal cases ongoing for game-used uniform fraud. You can't expect everyone bad in this hobby to get arrested because a) many more federal agents and prosecutors would need to be hired; and b) there would be like 12 people left in the hobby. This is the first time in years in which the feds have gotten involved in our hobby and it surely has helped stop some (but not all) of the fraud. And I'm sure there are other criminal investigations going on right now of other types of fraud in the hobby.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Perhaps the only person who should be arrested for fraud in the hobby is the guy who made the most money stealing?

I think Bill and Doug in jail will provide some deterrence for other fraudsters. There are also federal criminal cases ongoing for game-used uniform fraud. You can't expect everyone bad in this hobby to get arrested because a) many more federal agents and prosecutors would need to be hired; and b) there would be like 12 people left in the hobby. This is the first time in years in which the feds have gotten involved in our hobby and it surely has helped stop some (but not all) of the fraud. And I'm sure there are other criminal investigations going on right now of other types of fraud in the hobby.
I think the oversight that we get now, and the threat of it, is great for the hobby. Too bad it took a state scandal many years ago to start it (I think that's about when it started). And Jeff, come on, 12 people left? I could count at least 15.....well, maybe 14.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:04 AM
Steve Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by three25hits View Post
Who would've thought that Wagner was trimmed?
I'm shocked!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
but by him not disclosing this earlier, he left a bit of doubt.
Seriously? "Who", after all the discussions we've had, after the book that was written, etc, etc, could possibly have had a bit of doubt? Name this person, and then tell me how this doubt was possible.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

A rat goes to prison
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ratprison.jpg (44.6 KB, 535 views)
Old 12-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
And I'm sure there are other criminal investigations going on right now of other types of fraud in the hobby.
Cool, more opportunities for defense lawyers!!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Seriously? "Who", after all the discussions we've had, after the book that was written, etc, etc, could possibly have had a bit of doubt? Name this person, and then tell me how this doubt was possible.
David Hall?
Old 12-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
While I agree with you Scott, there were more than a few people who believed this was nothing more than an unsubstantiated rumor. How many people on this board, when the subject came up, said there was no way you could prove it was trimmed? Now it can be confirmed.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
David Hall?
LOL! Yes indeed; the last remaining holdout in the hobby.

Re-reading the O'Keeffe article about Hall below, at one point Hall allegedly said,

"We never considered that it had been altered".

There are several ways one can interpret that comment.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ite...not-in-private
Old 12-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Clayton

Quote:
Seriously. Me.

After reading the book "The Card" a couple of times, I still had reservations.

The grainy black and white photo of the card in it's "un-trimmed" state was convincing, but I couldn't wrap my brain around the logic of cutting up the only known sheet (with a Wagner and a Plank!!)of T206's into singular cards, thinking it would make him more money. And, that was the given scenario in the book, that it was cut from a sheet. I felt someone with as much knowledge about cards would've instantly known the signifigance of this "sheet", and how valuable it would've been in it's entirety. I would think far more valueable than broken down into single cards.

Now, if it wasn't cut from a sheet, or strip, I could see why he trimmed it;for financial gain. But, to cut up a sheet? Don't get that. *Not saying trimming it is right, I would've left it alone*

So, I had doubts. And, I have no problem admiting it. Based on it being cut from a sheet.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 12-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Peter Spaeth

Mastro purchased it already cut from the sheet and trimmed it further, as i understand it.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
Guys, Bill Mastro's crimes in this hobby did not start and end with the trimming of the Wagner card. His fraud was ongoing, systematic and all-encompassing. The great majority of people who bid in a Mastro auction were victims of his fraud.
Given the industry that is class action lawsuits (I just received a check in the mail for $4.14 for an action I had no idea I was part of), I wonder if some enterprising attorney/ies are gearing up for such an action on behalf of auction customers who were allegedly shilled or defrauded.

I have no idea what critical mass is required to constitute a "class" in such cases.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

No need to worry: Bill has found religion and presumably the Ten Commandments as well. I'm certain he'll be providing full restitution to all of his victims, erm, I mean friends/character references.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Belltown Vintage

edited - pointless post.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-01-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
While I agree with you Scott, there were more than a few people who believed this was nothing more than an unsubstantiated rumor. How many people on this board, when the subject came up, said there was no way you could prove it was trimmed? Now it can be confirmed.
I now, a lot of people said that, but even before the book (and the recent confessions) came out, there was a large group of us who were 100% sure that it WAS trimmed. I was digging around in the archives six months or so ago, and found some of the old discussions - so I'm not being a hypocrite here, or revising history. It looks like there is no amount of evidence, short of an actual film showing the trimming, that will convince some people.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-01-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Larry

You know what's going to happen as long as there's big money at stake--someone's going to do whatever it takes to get at it!!!

Best, guys,

Larry
Old 12-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

Quote:
The grainy black and white photo of the card in it's "un-trimmed" state was convincing, but I couldn't wrap my brain around the logic of cutting up the only known sheet (with a Wagner and a Plank!!)of T206's into singular cards, thinking it would make him more money. And, that was the given scenario in the book, that it was cut from a sheet. I felt someone with as much knowledge about cards would've instantly known the signifigance of this "sheet", and how valuable it would've been in it's entirety. I would think far more valueable than broken down into single cards.
Wonder what holder the Plank currently resides in?
Old 12-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylbry View Post
Wonder what holder the Plank currently resides in?
It's hard to detect sarcasm on the Internet, but its in an A holder

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/.../2009/890.html

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Henry Nich.ols

Great read on the Plank, Thanks for the article.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Clayton

So, you have the person(s) who trimmed the card,,,whether from a strip, sheet, or just from a card with large enough borders- and you have a TPG who gave it the high grade that it had. Who is more at fault here for deception & fraud? The trimmer, the grader, or both?

Yes, the Plank was given a big "A".

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 12-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
So, you have the person(s) who trimmed the card,,,whether from a strip, sheet, or just from a card with large enough borders- and you have a TPG who gave it the high grade that it had. Who is more at fault here for deception & fraud? The trimmer, the grader, or both?

Yes, the Plank was given a big "A".

Sincerely, Clayton
This has to be a rhetorical question.