NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default Fake ring in Huggins and Scott Auction

This evening I sent an email to Bill Huggins that there is a ring in his auction that is a fake 1949 Yankee Ring.

Here is a copy of the letter. I hope Huggins and Scott will take the ring out of their auction and the purpose of this email is to warn other collectors that this ring is out there and this is the 2nd auction where the consigner has attempted to sell this bogus item.

-------------

Hi Bill,

we have spoken in the past about rings and did not see eye to eye on some rings that you decided to keep in your auction.

I am writing to help you out and hopefully you can agree that the following ring has issues and I am looking out for your company's best interest and trying to help you avoid selling a ring that is not real.

The Ed Lopat 1949 ring is an obvious fake ring.

it is fake because a real 1949 ring has a completely different shank.

the person that made this ring (It was Irv Learner and his associates) did not do proper research and thought that the 1949 ring must have the same shank as all the Yankee championship rings from the 1950's.

In fact, that is incorrect. the 1949 ring had a different shank.

I am enclosing two pictures: The lower left ring is the item in your auction. The item on the lower right is a ring I own. Every 1949 Yankee ring I have ever seen has had this shank.

If you don't believe me, please check with any other ring expert.

The two I could recommend are:

Scott Welkowsky
TJ Kaye.

if you need their contact information, please let me know.

by the way, every time I see that "BALFOUR 14K" mark where the 14K almost touches the "Balfour", it is the same mark that you see when Irv Lerner sells his fake Yankee salesman sample rings. I have never seen that exact mark on any of the real Yankee rings, only the fake ones and the ones that Irv sells.

This ring in your auction was submitted to the Robert Edwards auction and was ultimately rejected and withdrawn from the auction due to the issues I mentioned above.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

I will be publishing this letter on net54baseball.com to warn others about the ring and to give them the heads up should this ring continue in your auction or wind up for sale someone else.

=====

I want to just clarify that Irv Lerner, a well known baseball card collector and author, and a collector known as the "Ring Man" has been selling fake rings for several years. If anyone doubts this, I can send you a pdf of his newsletters where he boasts the ability to make many superbowl and Yankee rings with any name and number on the shank,

Furthermore, if Irv would like to sue me I would welcome the opportunity to go through the discovery process and find out where all those salesman sample rings come from that he sells that never look 100% correct or as good as real salesman samples
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00101402.jpg (20.4 KB, 652 views)
File Type: jpg 00100302.jpg (18.6 KB, 651 views)

Last edited by sports-rings; 09-21-2011 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I would be very interested in seeing such newsletters. Could you post them here?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

just wanted to post and let you know I spoke to Bill Huggins and a member of his staff. It is quite obviousthat Bill wants to get the items in his auction right and is looking into this matter. He will take the ring out of the auction if he feels it is not a real ring.

I sent him photos of real rings from 1949 and I believe he is looking into the matter. Bill and his staff were great to deal with and I appreciate his time and assistance.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Quote:
I would be very interested in seeing such newsletters. Could you post them here?
I am not sure how to post pdf's here, but if you email me, I would be happy to send them to you.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports-rings View Post
just wanted to post and let you know I spoke to Bill Huggins and a member of his staff. It is quite obviousthat Bill wants to get the items in his auction right and is looking into this matter. He will take the ring out of the auction if he feels it is not a real ring.

I sent him photos of real rings from 1949 and I believe he is looking into the matter. Bill and his staff were great to deal with and I appreciate his time and assistance.
The ring is being pulled from the auction as we speak. Thanks for the heads up, Michael. We truly value the opinions of those with extensive knowledge in specialty areas.

Thanks
Josh Wulkan
Vice President
www.hugginsandscott.com
Old 09-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Christopher Williams

Michael, nice job and great work looking out for the interests of ring collectors.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Thanks Josh, Bill, and Chris. Bill showed a lot of class and really kept an open and objective mind until all the facts were researched and confirmed.

This was the 2nd auction the consigner has tried to use. Hopefully he can come clean witht he next auciton house. There is nothing wrong writh stating the ring is a copy. In fact, it would be a desired item although would not get near the price as a real ring.

Two people requested I upload the pdf of the ringman's newsletter where he clearly states that he will make Yankee rings with any name on the shank (football rings too).

here is the link to the pdf file: http://www.SportsCollectingNews.com/theringman.pdf
Old 09-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default thanks and thanks...

Thanks Michael. We all appreciate your diligence in rooting out bad, or improperly noted, items. When I saw the thread I immediately sent it to Josh, who had not heard about it yet. I am sure he and Bill spoke and as always, they did the right thing. Thanks too, Josh.....LL
Old 09-21-2011, 07:29 PM

Hi Scott. Thanks for the insight on the ring. How come the makers Jostens, Balfour etc do not go after him. I have about 15 rings, a couple came from you. It makes me want to not collect them.

Last edited by tony; 09-21-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:02 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Quote:
Hi Scott. Thanks for the insight on the ring. How come the makers Jostens, Balfour etc do not go after him. I have about 15 rings, a couple came from you. It makes me want to not collect them.
That is a great question that ring collectors ask all the time. Irv has been reported to:

Jostens
Balfour
MLB Fraud Department
NFL
NFL Security
Ebay

when I would see a blatant fake ring on ebay that Irv was selling, I would put the same, real ring for sale at the same price so they would sort next to each other. I would show photos of both rings side by side and point out the differences.

Either Irv, or someone who does not like me or what I do would tell ebay and they would throw off my listing.

Irv has sold dozens of bad rings over the years to many people. To my knowledge, nothing has been done by any of the organizations listed above.

Wish they would have arrested him at the National too!
Old 09-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I would be very interested in seeing such newsletters.
I would like to see the newsletters as well. If you can't post them and are willing to email them: abravefan@msn.com
Old 09-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Christopher Williams

Huggins & Scott should also be commended for doing the right thing.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Quote:
I would like to see the newsletters as well. If you can't post them and are willing to email them: abravefan@msn.com
please check the earlier message, I posted a url to download the pdf.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:00 AM
Tim

Thanks Michael, I missed the earlier link.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:42 PM

I loved this thread! Kudos to Michael and Huggins and Scott. This type of sharing of information and education is invaluable for all of us as collectors no matter what area we are interested in.

Ricky Y