NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-29-2007, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Default New guy..old cards...Colgan's..

Posted By: Dave S

Being my 1st post, would like to intoduce myself; friends and family call me Dave, Ebayer's know me as Cubman23. Think there are a few members here who have bought/sold cards with me over the years. And hopefully some can attest to the fact that I am SEMI-knowledgable of the hobby, and in no means claim to be an expert or remotely close to one! But, like I imagine a few on here, have been shuffling cardboard longer than a few have been breathing!
I received an e-mail the other day from a member here, related to a post here to which I felt compelled to reply. Some of you may have seen my 10 E254's sold on Ebay last week, in particular a Wagner, #170092678593, that ended in a "head-scratching" $853,and "unbelievably" reserve was not met. That card, following Auction end, was sold (as were the Cobb and Young which also didn't hit reserve) for CONSIDERABLY HIGHER than the final bid. And amazingly the buyer is a widely known, respected vintage dealer! NOT a rookie! So was he a fool for paying what he paid?
My point here....so often overlooked...is quite simple! What is ANY card worth? WHO KNOWS! Very simply, whatever it is worth to someone who wants/needs that card; isn't that the preface of any auction...whether for real estate, auto's, or old cardboard? A card that is worth $100 to me may be worth $1000 to your moderator...or vice versa. Does that mean neither of us have any idea what a card is worth?
SIMPLY..As hobbyists, we often overlook the simple rules of supply & demand. You can't compare Wagner's, Matty's, and Cobb's with Jeter's, Clemens', and Griffey's! And lastly, to those who live and die by SMR's and price guides, remember..they indeed ARE guides and not Bible's! Think maybe if you base your expenditures on them, you'll lose a helluva lot of nice cards...and overpay for just as many...
Apologies for the lengthiness...

Old 03-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jP

welcome Cubman!

my collection: http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/obaks/

Old 03-29-2007, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mark

The way a price of card can rise if someone wants it. I sold a few of my cards last month on Ebay that i paid very little for last year. One card i made 350 percent on and another i made 200 percent. The guy wanted my high grade cards for his registry set. I needed the money for a purchase coming up and could not pass on that nice profit. I am not against selling for big profit because all my money for cards stays in cards.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

all well said. Now if you would just stop bidding on the items I'm interested in we'll get along just fine.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mark

nice collection, laid out nicely on your web site!!!

Old 03-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I didn't realize you had never posted. I think you and I have been dealing with each other for almost the whole time I have been on ebay (about 8 yrs)...or about 2 yrs shy of me beginning in the hobby. Welcome aboard....always nice to have good folks contribute...lmk if I can ever help you...still have and love the Martens I got from you ...breast regards

Old 03-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Sorry Steve, will admit I'm all over the board with my bids, just an attempt at baffling my own cardboard confusion and frustrations..

Old 03-29-2007, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve

You are right. On the right day, with the right people seriously interested, a card may go for much more than one would think. It still, however, requires at least two bidders willing to spend big. May I ask what your "reserve" was on the Wagner CTA 4 ? And then I also must inquire about the final sale price. Thanks, Steve.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jP

Mark good to see ya! thanks for the positive comment on my site. im trying my best. not the whole collection is up but little by little. scanning for hours can be tedious at times.

my collection: http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/obaks/

Old 03-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Thanks Leon for the kind words, will simply reply by boomeranging my respect..

Steve, I appreciate where you're coming from, but don't think it would be ethically right to relay what was paid, will only say what I previously mentioned, i.e. was CONSIDERABLY above the closing bid of $853

Old 03-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Recently on ebay a Colgan's Wagner in the lofty PSA 8 grade went without a nibble at asking price of $2265. That is 4 grades higher than the CTA 4 we have been discussing. Assuming price of around $1000. for the CTA 4, wouldn't one think a PSA 8 should fetch at least triple ($3000.) ??? Needless to say, I am very confused about the recent buys/no buys of Colgan's. I suppose such is life in the game of rare old cardboard. Steve.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Welcome to the VBC Dave. Always room for another Dunderhead.

-another card-buying fool.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Maybe this is more of a PSA registry thing.....if this were a PSA8 common T206 it would have gone for 2200-5000.....I doubt there are very many, extremely active, Colgan's registry collectors.....Personally I would much rather have a nice Colgans Wagner 4 for 1k than an 8 for 2.2k....but I am not a high grade/registry collector.....

Old 03-29-2007, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mosley

Not that he needs it but I just wanted to say hi to Dave and vouch for having done a few deals with him both buying and selling. He has been first rate to deal with!

Scott

Old 03-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Appreciate the kind words, thanks

Old 03-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I don't think I've bought from you on eBay (yet), but we did chat a few weeks ago via email. I could tell by your emails that your one of the good guys. Welcome aboard !!!

Old 03-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Breast Regards to you too, Leon. A little Freudian slip huh? I was just doing a little back reading and couldn't resist.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Dave,

Well put, the E254's that you are offering as we discussed in our emails are for the most part underappreciated. I think many of us have watched the market increase to such an extent in the last few years that many once affordable items are no longer within our budgets. Collectors (myself included) start waving their price guides in protest when items are priced above stated values but leave them closed when they get a bargain.

I have saved many old catalogs dating back in to the mid-90's. I remember thinking how crazy I thought Mike Wheat was for asking the prices ($50 to $60) for GD-VG D322's. I never purchased a one.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:44 AM
Administrator

I used to use the "breast regards" as a normal function of signing off on a post...every now and then I get nostalgic. As for $60 cards, not to totally hijack the thread, here is a $60 purchase from a few years ago...note the still present pencil writing on back (for you purists).....if it ever gets slabbed I will have to erase it though ....then I will have to remember what series it is, all on my own....

Old 03-31-2007, 09:11 AM
Administrator

OK the regular Colgan's are on the upswing. They are hard to find and feature great photos. How many later counterparts (1911) are out there - the Colgan's Tin Tops ? Couple years ago I found a Wagner SGC 60 Tin Top - never have seen another nice one for any major HOF'er on ebay since then.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

With an ebay name od cubman23, you must like Sandberg of fanzone. I happen to know both men and they are good people.

Ken

Old 03-31-2007, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Dave- Welcome! I wondered when you would show up here. Your card knowledge and friendliness will be a real asset to this board.
tbob

Old 04-01-2007, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

You know when a burger joint has an anniversary and they sell their burgers for around 5 cents like they did 50 years ago? Well how about a turn back the clock day all you vintage dealers?? Maybe on the 100 year anniversary of the T206's!? C'mon!

Old 04-01-2007, 06:42 AM
Administrator

You hit it on the head Ken, does that mean you wouldn't be interested in buying one of his autographs? Tremendous player, classy guy...left his dinner table to come talk to my ogling 6-year old son MANY years ago..

And Bob, thanks for the words, appreciated!

Old 04-01-2007, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Dave did I buy a bunch of Cubs Season Passes from you a few years ago? If so, they are very nice and I still have them. If not, they are very nice and I still have them.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Administrator

I can't take credit for any season passes Steve, maybe some old programs or tickets from the '45 Series, but not the passes. Good to know you like them enough to keep 'em though!

Old 04-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator

now I remember it was Patricka.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

Actually Dave,

I have multiple Sandberg autographs obtained in person and Fanzone has been my coach twice at Cubs Fantasy camp. We won the camp championship with Fanzone and Jenkins as our coaches, what a blast. Fanzone is one of the most polite people you could ever meet and Sandberg is a great guy also. I have met quite a few Cubbies at the camp and would recommend it to anyone that loves the Cubs.

Ken

Old 04-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous